Imac&c hch1 civic - Page 39 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > Other Honda Hybrids Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #381 (permalink)

What was the problem? So we know for future reference...

Sam
-IMAC&C
-Lower grill block

RIP 2000 Insight, 40k miles @ 69.2 mpg
samwichse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 04:22 AM   #382 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwichse View Post
What was the problem? So we know for future reference...
Sam
The white and green wires had to be swapped over as suggested by Peter.

Last edited by aandu; 01-10-2013 at 06:27 AM.
aandu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 06:31 AM   #383 (permalink)

One big plus is that slow moving traffic (< 10 mph) is not a problem as I can charge the batteries. In sections of my morning and evening commute, slow moving traffic used to to drain the battery and kill the mpg. With a cold engine and de-misters on, the auto stop wouldn't kick in either. The best time to charge the batteries.

Queries
1. I have decided I am not going to use more than one click of assist as I am trying to become a high-miler. Is this a good strategy to preserve batteries ?

2. What is the best SOC to leave the battery at? 60/70/?/100%?
aandu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #384 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandu View Post
Queries
1. I have decided I am not going to use more than one click of assist as I am trying to become a high-miler. Is this a good strategy to preserve batteries ?

1) Yes as a general rule lower drain is better for the batteries.

2) ~ 70% but you won't know where that is unless you have an OBDIIC&C gauge.

Feedback from the longer term owners would be good especially those who have upgraded to the newer software.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #385 (permalink)

I try to keep my SOC around 55%.

Gives me plenty of headroom for regen braking, and plenty of SOC in case I really need to get on it for some reason .

However, that's a bit simplistic. I actually try to AVERAGE that, but at one point in my commute I usually hit 70-75% (actually 72% is the cap with the MaxIMA battery, I haven't actually seen 75% in forever due to the computer's lack of ability at counting the higher AH cells), but by the time I get to work, I'll be more like 45%.

Sam
-IMAC&C
-Lower grill block

RIP 2000 Insight, 40k miles @ 69.2 mpg

Last edited by samwichse; 01-10-2013 at 11:58 AM.
samwichse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 01:23 AM   #386 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandu View Post
that slow moving traffic kill the mpg.
Hi aandu,
I took it on a longer trip today,and it's similar to what your talking about. got caught in traffic for a while still I got 54 mpg. The best I got that route was 60 mpg And milking it no traffic and just few lights. Part city highest 40 mph.
Why do the Toyota prius get 52 mpg city? Because it's use the E.M at low speed,in first gear you get about 10-15 mpg for a few second.
Here how you can have all. "How to use 80% -90% of battery pack safely"
Objective: Save/ build your SOC for future Electric motor low stop and go traffic.
How do you get there? Morning (Use assist as below) after it drop to 40% (weak part of driving) while driving concentrate using coasting in neutral or gliding (its your cheat) you should get in the 45-50 mpg range your base. after you hit low 40% SOC it's will start charging 4 bars, it's will now be harder to keep the mpg up but try harder as it make you better.as you come to a stop light use regen 1 click before you press the brake to stop but turn it off a few feet to collect auto stop. what you did was escape 100-75% Regen (heats the battery) and as you leave a stop light as soon as assist comes on turn it off after 1 gear or 2 gear (19-15 mpg) every time.(it's all needed as it's will bleed away. This is what I was talking about Pete, but you right it's covered)
After about SOC 60+ the back ground charging stop, continue slow charging. ( best part of driving, aggressive take off) because you can now click Regen twice or 3 times after takeoff as the momentum/weight will get back the assist that you used.this 4-8 bar of Regen as you glide back to better your mpg and Go on to filling your battery up to 80% to 90% full. doing it this way Its will not over heating it. I can touch mine and it's barely warm. After it's full.
Use 1 click Regen after a auto stop, as it prevent regen or assist when stopping and take off and keep the pack full till needed.
Stop and go and parking lot ,low speed 10-15 mpg is where The E.M can use this full pack.
Use the auto stop enable, so you will have to start the car moving or auto stop disable but you will have to click it off before stopping in EV mode.hold on to your base 55-60 mpg.done right you will.
So basically you gave up 75-100 regen and got
80-90% SOC in return. And a longer battery life and 60-70 mpg beating the pruis by 20 mpg. Yea.

Last edited by Aqua; 01-11-2013 at 01:48 AM.
Aqua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #387 (permalink)

Default Knocking on 60 s door cvt.

Yesterday trip waikiki around diamond head kahala, out to Hawaii-Kai later back. Yes I coming to a stop. LOL the mini MIMA box and years of mpg driving experience, and torque mods makes a huge difference. before it's was wasted assist that need too be replace many times.
If you have a 03 hch your software was detuned to extend battery life, it's why Honda lost. this will get back some control, mine I refuse the update.
If you want to build a shifter mount, a small L shape, a 45% corner angle piece and a small bolt to hold it together and 4 screw and epoxy.
Very normal, my thumb mount kill switch and thumb. Car very fun to drive
Still working on balancing torque vs E.v.just about perfect got both. As too much torque the Ev motor Takes a longer time to get up to speed, need the torque mod to the max as I carrying around 250 lb comfort stuff got a special car 1 cin 12 v.or complete solar very low amp freezer 18 below 0 inside.
Haven't got the long hold assist tone down mode figure out consistence yet, the few times I got in I couldn't get out, most of the time anything longer that 4 second is full assist. And 2 times I got in was weaker didn't test it out much but took many tries to get out. The before update it was a 1 click and a medium click together. The newer software is just a single 1 click 4 second not more than 10 right?
The rest all works.

Last edited by Aqua; 01-12-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:54 PM   #388 (permalink)

Battery handicap mode ? "long assist click" is working fine, it can't be tested or seen parked. I was trying for a auto disable mode when you click cancel medium to get a visual lower rpm rising parked but was getting kick out of battery handicap mode or lost in medium long click " cruze control"
They isnt that option in that mode. So all on menu working fine.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:41 AM   #389 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep
Default Control Instructions Summary

Instructions.

We have three buttons and three lengths of button presses.

<0.5s = Short press
>0.5s & <4s = Medium press
>4s = Long press

Each button has the following functions.

Assist (Right) Button [Red Led]
Short press = Increment Assist Level or Decrement Regen level (As now) (Assist has 4 steps/clicks) 25,50,75,100%
Medium press = Max Assist (As now)
Long press = Toggle Assist Protect Mode. Limits any future Assist request to ~12A

Regen (Left) Button [Green Led]
Short press = Increment Regen Level or Decrement Assist level (As now) (Regen has 5 steps/clicks) 0,25,50,75,100% The first click is the regen balancing mode.
Medium press = Max Regen (As now)
Long press = Toggle Regen Protect Mode. Limits any future Regen request to ~6A

Cancel (Middle) Button
Short press = Cancel any Manual Assist/Regen (As now)
Medium press = Toggle AutoCancel Assist/Regen <5mph Mode (As now) Default is ON so you can't command assist/regen when stopped on program run after software update.
Long press = Activate Cruise Control Mode

Note the Assist/Regen current limit mode restricts all Assist or Regen, wether commanded by the car or by you.

Cruise Control.

Cruise is activated by a long press on the Cancel button.
The initial target/cruise speed is the speed the vehicle is moving when you active it.

Cruise mode changes the function of the assist/regen buttons.
Up Button short click increases Cruise target speed by one unit.
Down Button short click decreases Cruise target speed by one unit.
Cruise mode can be cancelled by a short click of the cancel button.

Cruise mode ramps assist up and down to maintain the target speed.
Cruise mode can also operate with the battery protect assist limit.

Cruise does not use regen to control over speed, you are better off just letting your foot off the throttle.

Last edited by retepsnikrep; 01-13-2013 at 02:19 AM.
retepsnikrep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 04:44 AM   #390 (permalink)

Thank Pete, all working well. they have this saying make use off it's finer points, because it's start so effortfully, the kill switch was one. Add this, on a stoplight, a cvt all you have to do is click assist fast 1-2-3 about a click every two second, and just lead the take off with 10% of trottle to just shift throught the gear, it pull strongly 'or blasts away on 90% of electric power, and that about 6 secound and your about 35 mpg heading to 40. It's so cool, love it,this will hold your base mpg.
You can do this stoplight after stoplight, the cvt keep the Ev right in the proper
Gear it's just one big pull to 40 mph, standard cars stop or stand still to shift And they wonder why that car isn't making any noise While they trucks are sucking up a hold bunch of air in each gear.
the sliding mph Gage start of at 3 bars and about the 2 click it races across 40 mpg in E.M mode.I don't even have to use 100% 4 click.
So if I use this in the city, I have to give up something, so I give up the worse which is E.V 3 click or 75% asist mode in long parks at 15-20 mph that eats the most of my SOC. Instead I can bump forward it and coast.
Car so fun driving, the 03 without any update is totally diffrents, I can charge to 100%, which I do And I can hold it above 75 % all day even without using full braking regen.
The first click of assist in parking lots is cool and it's use so little of the SOC
It's will not even drop a bar for a very long time, 2 click about twice as fast
About 1 bar Dropping every 1/2 minute, 3 click faster,
If you got a Honda civic hybrid get this control box, total fun

Last edited by Aqua; 01-17-2013 at 04:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.