Imac&c hch1 civic - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > Other Honda Hybrids Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2012, 03:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep
Default Imac&c hch1 civic

Edit by Peter 28/12/12

Just to clear up any confusion the production IMAC&C unit for the HCH1 is a standalone device seperate from the OBDIIC&C display.

The first few pages of this thread however discuss an attempt to make the OBDIIC&C device perform both functions, this did not work correctly so was abandonded in favour of the standalone device which works well.

The development of the standalone IMAC&C for the HCH1 beings at about this post

Imac&c hch1 civic

I hope that helps.

PS There is some free demo code available in this post for those building their own device.

People can try before they decide to purchase the full version with all the bells and whistles.

The demo allows those who have built their own device using stripboard/proto board or even my pcb to load a version of the software for free to check it works.

The demo has one level of assist and regen only.
Approx 6A of regen and 12A of assist.

No battery protect mode.
No ABC overide.
No max assist/regen.
No disable assist/regen.
No autocancel.
No ima cruise control.
No Lcd display.
No assist/regen boost mode.
etc etc.

The attached zip file is not password protected and may be freely distributed.

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums...mac-c_demo.zip

Original Post.

I think you might like this I have been studying the HCH1 data and the current OBDIIC&C schematic and I think that IMAC&C control aka 'MIMA' can be achieved for the HCH1 using only one harness wire cut / splice and a 3.5mm plug into the data logging port of the OBDIIC&C gauge.

The data port is connected to the RX/TX USUART of the pic, and with a change to two resistors R14 & R15 from 1k to 220R on the pcb (may not be reqd) I think we can achieve the comms connectivity we need to intercept and modify the IMA control signals passing from the ECM to the MCM on the serial line. OK you won't be able to do any logging initially but what the hell, that data could be diverted to J4 later. I will operate an interrupt driven buffer which passes through the serial signals and/or modifies them for IMAC&C.

The gauge will plug into the OBDII port as now and work in the same way.
Initially the button will be reconfigured to give assist/regen right/left click etc or similiar.
It might be possible later to add a second remote dedicated IMA button using the SCS line, J4 or even the Hline connection.

A lot of work to do but I hope to try a simple data pass thru connection with the gauge also working next week.

Modifying the data for IMA control will come later when I have analysed it all. It looks quite promising and means a pretty cheap solution for MIMA for HCH1 especially if you already have a gauge as you get OBDIIC&C functionality as well

Before anyone asks, no we can't do this with the G1 Insight or any other other IMA cars ASFAIK as they use different comms. Only exception might be the Accord IMA but we don't have them over here.

Last edited by retepsnikrep; 04-09-2013 at 11:19 AM.
retepsnikrep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hmmm... and you will be needing a guinea pig for this?

Probably 10 times in the last week I was driving and something happened that made me think "wish I had MIMA."
-IMAC&C
-Lower grill block

RIP 2000 Insight, 40k miles @ 69.2 mpg

2000 Insight, "The Basket Case" @178k miles, 64.5 mpg so far
samwichse is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

I'll be testing it on my bench setup first, then the UK car when I borrow it in a few weeks, then you may be a US guinea pig.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

You may need 2 guinea pigs to test out any differences
Calpod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 05:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Well I can get the OBDIIC&C gauge to squirt through the IMA data reqd between the HCH1 ecm & mcm with the addition of one resistor, it's currently working on the bench, but at the moment I can't get it to do that and the gauge function at the same time. It was quite a big ask. Two seperate lots of serial data to deal with and only one usart. It might still be possible but only with a lot of work I will look at it.

So we have a couple of options.

1. Have a completely seperate IMAC&C device with it's own 16x2 serial enabled display. This would only require a 12F1822 8 pin pic and be cheap as chips as far as the hardware is concerned. 4 connections to the car reqd. +5v, Gnd, MotA ECM, MotA MCM

2. Use the OBDIIC&C gauge with two modes OBDIIC&C or IMAC&C until I get it sorted. Hmm

Last edited by retepsnikrep; 03-07-2012 at 06:01 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

Wait, so the second board would need more than one harness splice?

Obviously having the software all work on the OBDIIC&C is the best solution... but that said:

I'd say being able to see the actual IMA data at the same time as controlling it is pretty much a requirement... otherwise all you have to go on is the dash gauge, and that won't show you things like voltage sag and temp and true SOC. Which makes the ability to control the IMA only half as useful.

I vote second board... however, does the second board even need a screen at all? Or are you saying the main box would be blank or say something like "IMAC&C mode" and only the secondary small board's LCD would be active?

If I understand correctly, the second board won't be plugged into the OBDII port, so you could have the OBDIIC&C plugged in and showing the IMA state and just hide the IMAC&C board completely?

Sam
-IMAC&C
-Lower grill block

Old 03-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

An hch1 IMAC&C board would be a completley independent device with 16x2 serial lcd display for configuring it and operating data etc . It would have the standard 5 way switch button.

Lots to think about though, incorporating it into the OBDIIC&C would be good as it would have access to the brake/clutch/neutral switch and oll the other obd data without having to monitor those lines independently.

I'll keep working on the combined solution for now.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yeah, I was just thinking of LCD screen propagation

I was also just thinking that pulling out that power window lockout switch from the driver's door armrest and letting the joystick stick up through that hole:

2004 Honda Civic Hybrid Sedan Door Panel Photos | GTcarlot.com
-IMAC&C
-Lower grill block

Old 03-10-2012, 11:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Default IMAC&C Data Analysis Openday

I have now processed and condensed the data I captured recently from the UK HCH1 Civic.

This data is the info being sent from the ECM > MCM over the MotA Line at 9600,8,E,1 when the car is on.

It contains the IMA Control data and is made up of one repeating 9 byte data packet sent every 30ms. The packet starts with the ident byte B3 and ends in a checksum byte, that means we have only seven data bytes to decode. .

The spreadsheet contains a number of short data captures covering a variety of driving and motor operation scenarios. We now need to look at the data and from the info make some inspired deductions about which bytes are controlling which IMA functions.

I making the data available here for the benefit of the community. It has taken many hours of work to obtain. I welcome ideas and analysis of the data. Feel free to modify and improve the spreadsheet I am no expert.

I also have the MCM > ECM MotB Line data but that is not processed yet and comprises four different 9 byte packets types, at least one of which will be devoted to driving the Oem dash gauge in a similar way to the METSCI line on the Insight.

www.solarvan.co.uk/Civic/CombinedFiles.zip

Enjoy

Last edited by retepsnikrep; 03-10-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Mot A comms via OBDIIC&C working

Now got my 18F2620 running at 32mhz and it is keeping up nicely with the interrupt driven comms on the MotA line and the OBDII port at the same time

Stacks or work to do and I need your help with that data anlaysis.
This work benefits all IMA car owners as it increases our understanding of the cars systems. So you Insight gurus please chip in.

Next stage is to get the basic Calpod/Sam HCH1 OBDIIC&C working with this data passthru MotA comms in the background then I can start manipulating the new data.

Hope my guinea pigs are ready LOL!!!

Note to enable the OBDIIC&C to pass thru the MotA data on the logging port I changed R15 to 330R & added a 2k2 resistor between the data connector side of R14 and +5v on the board. I used pin1 of J4 for the 5v in my test setup. But you could use any nearby solder pad that is connected to the +5v supply.

Youtube video from the Perkins Labs.

Last edited by retepsnikrep; 03-12-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.