Options for 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid IMA battery replacement - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > Other Honda Hybrids Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2012, 04:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Options for 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid IMA battery replacement

Folks, a month or so back I posted about a receiving a CEL and IMA battery light (P1600 and P1449 codes, no subcode given). I had the software on the car updated but, unfortunately, the problems have returned.

From reading through a large number of posts it appears that my options are to: continue to drive the car until the IMA battery fails (some say, depending on the condition, this can be done for quite some time); replace the IMA battery; or get a different car.

QUESTION #1: I am wondering what people’s thoughts are regarding these options?

I am not able to rework the battery myself, so if I want to replace the battery, it would cost in the realm of two to three thousand dollars as best I can tell. The options for replacing batteries seem to be:

a. Bumblebee Batteries (Bumblebee Batteries, LLC - Honda Hybrid Batteries - Home), which costs $2095 and carry a 2 year warranty.

b. Re-involt Technologies (Remanufactured Hybrid Vehicle Battery Packs), which costs $1875 for remanufactured batteries and carry an 18 month warranty. Apparently they are expecting to have a lithium replacement in Q3 of this year. No idea on the costs. Requires current battery to be shipped.

c. Better Battery (through Denver Hybrid Car Repair, Hybrid Car Battery Replacement). No idea on the cost or warranty.

d. Honda. The cost I have been quoted is about $2800 for, what I assume is a rebuilt battery, with a warranty of three years.

With some of these options, it appears that you need to send your existing battery in for a period of weeks to months. This would not be possible for me as I need to continue to use the car. So…

QUESTION #2: What are people thoughts on the pros and cons of these options?

QUESTION #2: Are there other options out there I should be aware of?

Any thoughts and advice people can give would be much appreciated.
spsulliv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

Yes looks like you covered all of the battery services currently available. Only thing I didn't see is getting a grid charger. Mike has a top of the line grid charger but you have to get a harness to go with it so runs you around $700 ish.
http://99mpg.com/Projectcars/gridcharger/

You can find them from time to time on the forum for cheaper but those are considered "dumb" chargers that have to be monitored manually or you could damage your battery.

As for the battery options you listed I would save up your money for one of the Better Battery options, that will be the way to go for longest battery life in the future.
gilbertguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsulliv View Post

With some of these options, it appears that you need to send your existing battery in for a period of weeks to months. This would not be possible for me as I need to continue to use the car. So…
From what I understand, Bumblebee ships your replacement Civic battery first, then you return your old one for a core refund. So you wouldn't be out a battery for weeks in that case.

I dunno, we'll see how it goes, I'm security deposit #1 with them :-P.

Sam
-IMAC&C
-Lower grill block

RIP 2000 Insight, 40k miles @ 69.2 mpg

2000 Insight, "The Basket Case" @178k miles, 64.5 mpg so far
samwichse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2012, 12:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks gilbertguy. samwichse let me know how it goes and what your overall experience is with them. Good luck!

Sean
spsulliv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2012, 12:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lean Burn = Happiness

I am biased, but I would recommend that you get a MAXIMA battery from Eli (Bumblebee), and a grid charger from me
Current score: Bought/Selling/Sold/Dismantled nine silvers, two blues, and a Citrus beauty to keep for myself.
jeff652 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Re-Involt offers new NIMH battery

Re-involt will also be offering a new NIMH this month with a 3 year warranty and we will be able to ship our battery first. $2595 plus shipping. We are still tweaking the lithium model and should have an announcement soon.

a. Bumblebee Batteries (Bumblebee Batteries, LLC - Honda Hybrid Batteries - Home), which costs $2095 and carry a 2 year warranty.

b. Re-involt Technologies (Remanufactured Hybrid Vehicle Battery Packs), which costs $1875 for remanufactured batteries and carry an 18 month warranty. Apparently they are expecting to have a lithium replacement in Q3 of this year. No idea on the costs. Requires current battery to be shipped.

c. Better Battery (through Denver Hybrid Car Repair, Hybrid Car Battery Replacement). No idea on the cost or warranty.

d. Honda. The cost I have been quoted is about $2800 for, what I assume is a rebuilt battery, with a warranty of three years.

QUESTION #2: What are people thoughts on the pros and cons of these options?

QUESTION #2: Are there other options out there I should be aware of?

Any thoughts and advice people can give would be much appreciated.[/QUOTE]
hybriddriveguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybriddriveguy View Post
Re-involt will also be offering a new NIMH this month with a 3 year warranty and we will be able to ship our battery first. $2595 plus shipping. We are still tweaking the lithium model and should have an announcement soon.

e. Hybrid ReVolt - New batteries for $1999.99 with 2 year warranty and refurbished batteries with later model cells for $1499.99 with 18 month warranty. In stock batteries typically ship within 2 business days. All advance replacements - you get the replacement battery first and then send in your core. Been repairing batteries since 2008.
06 Toyota Prius, 177k (plug in conversion in process)
01 Toyota Prius (tan), 111k & upgraded Gen2 battery
>--=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=--<
Hybrid ReVolt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 03:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default Why not lead acid agm battery?

B.B. Battery BP17-12, 12V/17Ah, VdS, Sealed Lead Acid battery (AGM)

This one to be exact. I plan on putting them 12 of these in the trunk and paralling them with existing battery. 220K on HCH1, original battery and if I keep my foot out of it, the IMA light stays off. The battery gauge will cycle from full to empty and back during normal driving. Since the battery is not 100% charged nor 100% discharged, I see no reason why this won't work. A lead acid battery of 144 volts is fully charged at 172 volts and completely discharged at 115 volts. The NiMh battery is run at 168 down to 120 volts.

Yeah, I know parallel packs generally don't work, except for Lithium, but since the cycling is always a moving target in these cars, the state of charge virtually means nothing, at least not like a pure electric car. The extra Ah certainly wont hurt none either, although there is a 9Ah version of this battery which may be OK also. The other "bonus" of paralling may be to continuously keep the OEM battery in balance.

Now before I get flamed on my first post, please note that my OEM battery does not contain any shorted cells and unless driven hard the IMA light will stay off. I'm sure there are cells with diminished capacity in the pack, but when paralled with a much stronger pack, the load will be handled by the stronger battery. The temperature sensors on the OEM battery will still be in place and function to protect the system.
Cruzingoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

spsulliv, I'm in the same boat as you described, what did you end up doing?
mandelmus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Go with the battery suppliers who own a G1, not someone who is exploiting the market.

Also PLEASE post your location in your profile, maybe someone close by has used the suppliers you are questioning about, and can give you or show you their experience.

Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301K miles
Use: 343K mi. @ 58.0 LMPG

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums...d-insight.html
http://www.seattleeva.org/wiki/User:...ies_Red_Rocket
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../message/12630
Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.