HCH1 UK Manual Lean Burn - Page 2 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > Other Honda Hybrids Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

think your car normal pete till it warm up, cold weather is a 10% hit, your quote" Above 50-55mph no matter what I try I can't get it to activate LB. *Below 45 mph when warm then no problem And long LB periods can be obtained " Show it's working, 90% say it's good, on Sam quote" My car has a hard limit of exactly 65mph where entering lean burn is disabled (though it will still be lean burning at 75mph if you go into lean burn at the top of a big hill and hold it as you accelerate down"
a 10 % loss. And from a area that warmer still here, warm/hot, beside using only cold air by my custom intake/ slot stright from the front removing the rubber piece I get lean burn till 70 but that added + is my torque ( barley touch the trottle sweet spot 45-60 )
Your cat sensor is probably saying the 3 stage cat is not hot enough to pass the exhaust back for another pass. might be chancy but could insulated the cat winter time?
the speed limit Sam talking about 65 limit? It's about passing the throttle position of entering lean burn or hp and torque = speed vs air resistance , where more gas is needed, you pass that tress hole. Less air resistance and more torque will add to that. Logically looking at it.
After your freeway speed limit is reached another 10% is gain though coasting in neutral, (try and watch this on a new mpg Gage) even in the city coasting is little better than 1 cin decelerating at higher rpm, the new higher number will change almost half as faster, next try killing your ice, it will change 2-3 times faster at even low speeds city, coasting is fun.
Brought this bra it's a non hybrid as I don't want all the bottom opening for better air flow.dated but not bad as stock.
Honda Civic 01 03 Lebra Front End Full Nose Hood Auto Car Bra Cover Protector | eBay

Last edited by Aqua; 12-30-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Aqua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 11:47 AM   #12 (permalink)

What you could try is that other thread that some are uing a card board block of the bottom opening for winter.it would stimulate summer. And it's would also check on raising the lean burn limited, its design for my weather too, that need air movement in the engine compartment. what it is that how much h.p do the car have at 50 mph in 5 gear at 1.500- 2,000 rpm? About 18 hp? And torque? About 48 lb (torque is low rpm grunt. (h.p is rpm and follow through/ lean burn is weak 20-1 power that pushing the air build up front.
It's the same thing taking off w/out down shifting. No power, torque is used
but not as bad as leaving a stoplight as momentum/ torque is helping the low h.p climb up to higher h.p.
I have block off about 60% here in hot weather with no over heating. Move my license plate to cover the bottom center and made 2 pieces for the side about 7". Now I have to change it as my bra coming in.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

Further testing on my car.

It won't engage or maintain any sort of LB above 45mph, that's clearly not right IMO so reqs some investigation. Below 40mph then it activates and maintains LB pretty much as per my G1 Insight.

I'm going to swap the cat with a known good one and then swap the O2 sensors with the other car. If that makes no difference I have another UK ECM to try.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

Weird, is it a hard limit... like, always 45mph load notwithstanding? Because if it were something like the cat, I would expect the number to vary based on engine load/throttle position. I know mine has the 65mph speed limit on lean burn because it won't enter LB mode no matter how light the load, and I spent a good 45 minutes on a road trip probing the limits with my IMAC&C (taking load off).

Sam
-IMAC&C
-Lower grill block

RIP 2000 Insight, 40k miles @ 69.2 mpg

2000 Insight, "The Basket Case" @178k miles, 64.5 mpg so far
samwichse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

Wanted honda search info but mum the word, Amazing, how sought out lean burn really is on the web, and people are converting Honda to lean burn, don't know if I can link this forum if not just erase it. Converting Cali Civic VX to Fed (lean burn) VX - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com
But it's tell how to go cut 5 wires cat harness from junk yards to convert ,it's easy as the necessary wiring is already in the main wiring harness from the engine compartment to the OBD1 connector for the ECU. So there's no need to route wires through the firewall and hack them into the OBD1 connector.

Found elsewhere The 1st gen is a Honda sensor
L1H1 5-Wire Wideband Oxygen Sensor
Honda part # 36531-P07-003

The now is replacement is NTK NGK 24300
NTK 24300
Glad you got replacements.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
Administrator

Back from a vist to Paul the UK Rally insight chap today in the A123 HCH1 and managed 72mpg over the hilly yorkshire terrain.

Brought back an HCH1 Cat, O2 sensors and the ECM's from two other scrapped cars to try in my own to see If I can get lean burn working properly (at all) over 45mph.

I'll try the ECM's first I think and then move onto the cat and O2 sensors. I suspect mine has some later more conservative programming.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #17 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Peter, mine is exactly the same, it will go into lean burn readily at lower speeds but hit anywhere near 45mph then lean burn switches off.
Hope I'm not too slow in my reply just spotted this thread!
2005 Honda Civic IMA 44k
OBDIIC&C, Ver27 PIC18F2620.
IMAC&C-LCD, Ver 15 PIC12F683.
honda-dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #18 (permalink)

Hm, maybe Peter should try swapping in one of those American ECUs to see if the behavior (behaviour) is different.
-IMAC&C
-Lower grill block

RIP 2000 Insight, 40k miles @ 69.2 mpg

2000 Insight, "The Basket Case" @178k miles, 64.5 mpg so far
samwichse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 12:04 AM   #19 (permalink)
Administrator

I do have a US hch1 ecm but i'll try the earlier UK ones first.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:41 AM   #20 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Samwichse, I recall on another thread you said you were able to get lean burn up to about 65.
I can't find the other post, could you recap that for me please was it 65kmh or mph?
If it wasn't you that posted it, what speed does your lean burn operate up to?
2005 Honda Civic IMA 44k
OBDIIC&C, Ver27 PIC18F2620.
IMAC&C-LCD, Ver 15 PIC12F683.
honda-dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.