00 won't start, no dash lights, other electrical stuff works fine - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2017, 05:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 00 won't start, no dash lights, other electrical stuff works fine

I'm having issues with my Insight not starting. I was on the way out of my driveway this past Friday when the dash suddenly went black and the engine died. I coasted out on to the road and parked it there for the night. The next day it wouldn't start back up either, so it got pushed back into my driveway to diagnose.

When I go to start it, the dash does not light up like it normally would when you key on. When you turn the key further to start the engine, nothing happens. However, with the key on the HVAC fan works, the radio works, the headlights work, and I can hear the IMA fan kick on when I go to start the car. I did search the forum and I know everyone is going to say check the 12V grounds. I actually just did this about a week ago. I went through and cleaned them all up. I also checked virtually every fuse I can think of inside the cabin and under the hood. They all look fine.

What else should I be looking at? Thanks!
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2017, 05:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Start with the ground straps (again) and then have your 12V battery load tested. Make sure the ground straps aren't corroded on the inside of the insulation or terminal ends.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
Rainsux is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 05:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ah yes, the battery is also new as of about two months ago.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Good. Have it load tested.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
Rainsux is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 05:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply Sam. I'll give the ground straps another check.

I bought the Insight and they were already replaced with pretty hefty gauge wire, not the stock braided ones. I've seen them disintegrate on other Hondas though. I have a 04 Civic in my garage that I'm working on right now that needed a new input shaft bearing.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Check your PM box please. Need more info on the vehicle. You said "00"' I assume you mean 2000? I assume it is a 5S. If so check the clutch switch.

HTH
Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301K miles
Use: 390,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 02:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

as I said in another thread check your positive cables.

I was about ready to do my ground straps a 3rd time when I discovered my positive terminal was worn, loose and could not be tightened.

Replaced it and my blinking dash problem was solved but I still have some positive cable issues elsewhere due to collision damage.

The fact that it was cold when this happened points to something 12v, but 12v problems aren't always limited to the ground straps, especially if you had damage in the LH front fender well.

Good Luck
Ryan
rmay635703 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 03:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

"checking ground straps" is not limited to visual. They corrode under the sleeve and can look fine. They should be 0 Ohms on an ohmmeter.

And heavy gauge wire may be a bad choice for anything but the 12V ground cable. It may not have the flexibility necessary when connecting the engine to the body. You usually want braided straps.

The age of a 12V battery is generally not indicative of its health. An old battery is probably in need of replacement, and a new battery may need to be replaced. That's about all that age tells you. The only definitive test is as a load test - like Sam has suggested twice.

Step 1 in diagnosing anything electrical is 100% confirmation of 12V health and ground strap integrity. You can't get either by saying "it's new" or "they looked fine."

Once that's out of the way, it's probably time to start going through the fuses and CHECK them for continuity (not just a visual).
'05 G1 CVT w/192K mi as of 7/2016; '02 G1 CVT w/182K mi as of 7/2016 (P1449 HR pack); '06 HCH2 #1 w/145K mi as of 7/2016 (SOLD!), '06 HCH2 #2 w/223k mi as of 2/2016 (SOLD!); '03 Prius w/166K mi - Pack rebuilt with Gen2 modules; '08 Prius w/135k mi as of 7/2016; '07 Prius w/185k mi as of 7/2016

S Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 07:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

It is a 2000 5 speed. I haven't checked the clutch switch, but that shouldn't effect my dash not lighting up. That would obviously effect the no start though.

Ground straps look good. I have 0 ohms from the transmission case to the negative battery terminal. The positive terminal is clamped down good and hard. The 12V wasn't load tested out of the car, but as I mentioned the headlights come on (full brightness as far as I can tell) and the battery voltage sags to about 11.8V which seems pretty reasonable to me for freezing weather. I also pulled and checked continuity on the 'meter' and engine ecu fuse. Both check out just fine. Ah yes, and there is no damage to the car's frame.

Last edited by Daox; 01-11-2017 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

11.8V with ignition on and accessories? That's fine.

Check all fuses and relays.
'05 G1 CVT w/192K mi as of 7/2016; '02 G1 CVT w/182K mi as of 7/2016 (P1449 HR pack); '06 HCH2 #1 w/145K mi as of 7/2016 (SOLD!), '06 HCH2 #2 w/223k mi as of 2/2016 (SOLD!); '03 Prius w/166K mi - Pack rebuilt with Gen2 modules; '08 Prius w/135k mi as of 7/2016; '07 Prius w/185k mi as of 7/2016

S Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Random Question