Battery not charging? brake and battery light on. - Page 2 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2017, 04:41 AM   #11 (permalink)

Found a post where some guy has a similar problem when hitting full assist, his brake + battery light would come on.

Well the brake light comes on because it is tied in with the battery light ground, which causes both to come on. So really this is just the battery light coming on.

My battery light also seems to come on after flooring the car, similar to him hitting full assist.

What I think may be happening is that during full assist the voltage on the IMA battery drops so much that maybe it is stopping the DC-DC converter?

What doesn't make sense is why would assist and regen still work and the IMA light not coming on?
insightbuyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017, 10:17 AM   #12 (permalink)

most likely you'd get a 1449 if the IMA battery was the main culprit.

if the 12V battery though was an issue then i could foresee there not being a code set, but you seem to like taking the highest road to diagnosing your problem.

Last edited by Lyger; 03-20-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Lyger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 11:17 AM   #13 (permalink)

We are all just speculating until we get a report that the 12V has passed a load test, and that the ground straps are intact. There is no point in discussing it farther at this point. We can move on to the harder stuff after this easy stuff is either confirmed or eliminated.

I recently had some similar weirdness that I attributed to leaving the radio on for a few hours. Charging the 12V "fixed" it for a few days. Then it did it again (my wife was driving it-not good) so I had the 12V load tested. It failed, even though at the moment the car was working fine. When the voltage drops to the point that the 12V can't properly power the computers all kinds of strange stuff happens.

You can't assume that your 12V and ground straps are good. Just make sure that they either ARE the problem or NOT the problem before you do anything else.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
Rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 02:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by insightbuyer View Post
I'd like to add about this that this past summer I fixed a completely separated ground strap and the others felt sturdy.

This is why I'm going to rule off a bad 12 volt battery, because the battery held up for a while.

I will also use my grid charger and discharger, and run a cycle or two with it as I don't do this often at all anymore.

My IMA battery is getting old as I believe it was replaced once, and before I had the grid charger I was getting error codes a few years back. So the battery is not exactly in the best condition and probably needs to be grid charged a few cycles.
"the others felt sturdy" is completely inconclusive. That's like looking at a tire from 20 feet away and concluding it's at the proper tire pressure.

It's never a bad idea to hit an IMA battery with a grid charge if it hasn't been done in awhile.
'05 G1 CVT w/192K mi as of 7/2016; '02 G1 CVT w/182K mi as of 7/2016 (P1449 HR pack); '06 HCH2 #1 w/145K mi as of 7/2016 (SOLD!), '06 HCH2 #2 w/223k mi as of 2/2016 (SOLD!); '03 Prius w/166K mi - Pack rebuilt with Gen2 modules; '08 Prius w/135k mi as of 7/2016; '07 Prius w/185k mi as of 7/2016

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 08:21 PM   #15 (permalink)

Yes you are correct that feeling sturdy doesn't tell you the whole picture. When I replaced my last one I did a lot of testing with my ohms meter to see how well the electricity was flowing through the bolt.

You see the ground straps are clamped down with the bolt, and the ground strap lays partly on the painted surface of the car, electric won't pass through there. It has to pass into the bolt from the top of the ground strap connector.

What I found is that the bolt rusts up a little and doesn't really allow electric to pass through it. I should pull the other and clean them up like the one I replaced, and sand down the bolt to make sure it is making contact.

The thing with the ground straps is that my car ran fine with just two of them, and then I replaced the third recently. So it is hard to really think it could be the ground straps because of just replacing one, while the car ran fine without that one.

Last edited by insightbuyer; 03-20-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:28 PM   #16 (permalink)

My car seems normal for the most part, however, when I floor the car, almost always on the highway, the battery and brake light sometimes come on.

This was reported in another post from someone who when having full assist the battery and brake light come on. He said just one bar below full assist is fine, but once he hits full assist his brake light comes on.

In the past this light would usually shut off after a few minutes, but now it takes shutting the car off. So it does seem to have gotten worse.

I can actually just turn the car off while on the highway, and turn it back on and put it into gear, and then the battery light is off and the car is fine.

My thinking is this has to do with the IMA battery voltage possibly going really low and shutting off the DC-DC converter. Why else would this only happen when flooring the car at full assist?

This doesn't always happen when I floor the car and sometimes I can't make the battery light go on, and it seems to happen more at highway speeds.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
eq1

1. Ground straps,
2. 12V battery,
3. failing IMA battery...
4. combination of 2 or more.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
Hypermiler / Moderator

++1 ^

Verify condition of all grounds. Though they may appear ok on the outside, remember they usually corrode from the inside.

Willies favorite: Load test the 12v. Autozone and the such will usually load test your 12v for no cost.

Un-noticed code? Is your ima light functional ? Should light briefly on start up.

btw: CVT ? (flooring it brings the batt and brake lights).

my 5 cents worth.
, IMAC&C
'01 mt, "Silver Glider", 207k,
, MIMA
'00 Citrus,,
, 177k, MIMA,

Go Navy, or don't go
Mountain driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2017, 12:17 AM   #19 (permalink)

Just wanted to update on this. I would get to your guys advice to check the battery and ground straps but I did the easiest thing. Deep discharge and grid charge the battery. I'm also convinced based on the symptoms it is the 144 volt battery.

Since I did this I can't get the battery light to come on, even though I keep flooring the car.

While I need more time to see if this fixed it, my feeling is that the issue was the 144 volt battery was just getting a bit weak because I haven't done anything with it for a while.

What is probably happening is when going full assist the voltage must have been falling so much that the DC-DC converter shut down.

The IMA battery light still comes on for a few seconds and shuts off when I start the car, so I'm not getting any errors.

I don't really get why you would think it could be anything else other than the 144 volt battery when the battery light only comes on after flooring the car and having full assist. Flooring the car doesn't draw any more 12 volt power, so it can't be the 12 volt or the ground straps.

Assist also feels much more powerful after the deep discharge, but this could just be me paying attention more.

Last edited by insightbuyer; 03-26-2017 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:19 AM   #20 (permalink)

I think the reason people are focusing on the ground straps is that they can cause all manner of oddball behavior when they fail, often behavior that would not be intuitively obvious. However, as I said earlier in the thread, I think you're on the right track with your reconditioning of the IMA battery... Glad to hear it has resolved your issue for the time being.
Captain Torque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Random Question