Battery not charging? brake and battery light on. - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2017, 09:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Battery not charging? brake and battery light on.

I've been having my brake and battery light come on randomly for a while now, maybe a year. It usually turns off by itself after a few minutes.

Today the brake + battery light came on after I accelerated heavily and stayed on I then left the car parked for maybe 5-10 minutes with the lights on, but in auto stop mode.

I rode away no problem and then my radio stopped working and then my heater wasn't blowing anymore. The power steering felt stiff to turn. But assist was still working.

Then eventually EPS and ABS lights also came on and assist stopped working, but I have about half bars on my battery.

I decided to shut my lights off and cross my fingers and made the 25 minute ride back to my house, but my car had almost no battery power because the power windows barely worked.

Now the car won't start in my driveway.

Any ideas on what I should check? Battery is fairly new, maybe a few years old so I can't see it being the 12 volt battery, and why would it be the 12 volt battery because shoudn't the DC DC converter power everything.

What doesn't make sense is I had assist working in the beginning, yet the car had very little 12 volt battery power.

Thanks

Last edited by insightbuyer; 03-19-2017 at 09:27 PM.
insightbuyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2017, 09:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Linsight Designer

I hate to state the obvious, but this sounds like ground straps.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

When the battery and brake lights come on, it usually indicates that the IMA battery has degraded to the point that the DC-DC converter is no longer charging the 12v battery. You can try reconditioning the battery with a grid charger, but it may well be too far gone. If so, your options are to either bypass the IMA battery (as explained elsewhere) or replace the IMA battery.

Last edited by Captain Torque; 03-19-2017 at 09:40 PM.
Captain Torque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 09:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Oddly enough, went outside right now, maybe 30 minutes from when I got home and it started right up and everything is normal.

No brake or battery light is on. Assist works, and it even starts up with assist and not 12 volt battery.

Now I'm dealing with a problem that is random and I know with these problems the only way to deal with them is to wait until it stops working 100%.

What was odd was while sitting in the driveway after it started normally, I shut the car off and put it in accessory mode for a minute, then it started with the 12 volt battery.

So something is really random here and I guess I'll just wait until it craps out. I'll keep a 12 volt lipo in the car just in case.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Torque View Post
When the battery and brake lights come on, it usually indicates that the IMA battery has degraded to the point that the DC-DC converter is no longer charging the 12v battery. You can try reconditioning the battery with a grid charger, but it may well be too far gone. If so, your options are to either bypass the IMA battery (as explained elsewhere) or replace the IMA battery.
Would the DC-DC converter not work but yet I get full bar assist?

But it is definitely something with the Battery + brake light coming on.

What stumps me is why would the DC-DC converter not work yet I still get assist? I figure assist would be the first to stop working.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

LOAD test the 12V battery, don't just assume it is good.
If you have a 12v charger, charge it to full.
See if that helps.
(that is the first step)

HTH
Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301K miles
Use: 399,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2017, 09:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Williford View Post
LOAD test the 12V battery, don't just assume it is good.
If you have a 12v charger, charge it to full.
See if that helps.
(that is the first step)

HTH
Willie
Even if the battery was completely bad, wouldn't the DC-DC converter still work and power eveything 100% if the car is running?

My past 12 volt battery had issues before I replaced it, but it was when I had the car in auto-stop too long it would then not be able to start up or turn the IMA battery on.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudder View Post
I hate to state the obvious, but this sounds like ground straps.
quoting, because this seems to have been ignored.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyger View Post
quoting, because this seems to have been ignored.
I'd like to add about this that this past summer I fixed a completely separated ground strap and the others felt sturdy.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the IMA battery.

The brake + battery light went on after I floored the car and went full assist.

This time it didn't shut off right away like it normally does after a few minutes. I then must have been running off my 12 volt battery. I drove for a while and even left the lights on with the car parked for a bit. This drained the battery eventually.

This is why I'm going to rule off a bad 12 volt battery, because the battery held up for a while.

I then need to find out the issue about the battery + brake light coming on. I remember reading a post about this issue on the forum, I need to find this post as it was an IMA related warning.

I will also use my grid charger and discharger, and run a cycle or two with it as I don't do this often at all anymore.

My IMA battery is getting old as I believe it was replaced once, and before I had the grid charger I was getting error codes a few years back. So the battery is not exactly in the best condition and probably needs to be grid charged a few cycles.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

i think the post you are referring to is a semi faulty main fuse on the battery itself causing intermittent IMA and charging issues. seems to be quite uncommon though.

the fuse is about $20-45, and might be worth just replacing to rule it out. it is however a bit of a PITA to get to with the pack inside the car.

i would also check your IMA motor wiring in the engine bay, perhaps a mouse has been chewing on them? ZAP!

Last edited by Lyger; 03-20-2017 at 12:31 AM.
Lyger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Random Question