mpg bar graph - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2005, 02:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default mpg bar graph

I recent drove a ten mile trip and experienced a false reading on the mpg display. It read only zero or 150mpg, nothing in between. The problem did not appear on the next or any subsequent trip since. Does anyone have any ideas on what caused this?
Marc Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2005, 05:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Reece

Marc,

Others have reported this occasionally. Seams to be a software glitch that some say is because they started the car too fast. I don't think anyone has had it happen more than twice and most have never seen it. Anyway I doubt the car was actually getting 150 mpg so depending on how long it took to clear I would go with the gas guage for fillup vice the trusty FCD this time. Have fun, Rick
Rick 00 #4738 (5sp) Lmpg 91.1 @ 195K miles
Rick Reece is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2005, 08:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

I was going to post the very same thing as it happened to me on the way home from work today. This happened stopping at a red light and auto-stop didn't engage. I turned the ignition off and restarted when the light turned green. It stayed at 150 and didn't move until I stopped, turned the engine off, and restarted. It was fine the last 20 minutes going home.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Its a "glitch" in the MPG "computer" I've seen it 3 times in my 02. Simply takes a "reboot" to fix. Key off, wait 3 seconds, restart.

Or go for broke and leave Rick Reece's MPG record in the dust :twisted:
Insightful Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2005, 12:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Rick

This has come up several times, but in some 40K miles I've never ever had this happen. Wounder if it's some specific sequence done at start up that no one realizes they're doing.
92 Saturn SC2 Electric, Arizona Alt fuel plate "ZEROGAS"
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2005, 09:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Cake Send a message via Yahoo to Aaron Cake

Happens to me everytime I run out of gas. The next start and short trip afterwards will always show this behaviour. Only seems to be present in the new software, since pre-ECM replacement I never observed it.
Aaron Cake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2005, 11:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Wonder if it's some specific sequence done at start up that no one realizes they're doing.
It happened again yesterday just after leaving work, second day in a row. I stopped at a red light, and since the engine wasn't warmed up enough to auto-stop, I turned the key to"Accessory" or "On"(not sure which) just as I had done the day before to turn the engine off. After restarting, it went to 150mpg and stayed there till another red light when auto-stop engaged and the graph went to "0". After the red light, the graph didn't move, but the MPG continued to rise as if the graph were at 150. At the next red light, I turned the ignition completely off and restarted which fixed the problem. These were the first two times this has ever happened to the car. I have never really turned the engine off at red lights before until recently, so it must have something to do with that.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to kNOwtalent Send a message via MSN to kNOwtalent
Default Re: mpg bar graph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Roberts
I recent drove a ten mile trip and experienced a false reading on the mpg display. It read only zero or 150mpg, nothing in between. The problem did not appear on the next or any subsequent trip since. Does anyone have any ideas on what caused this?
Greetings Marc,
It happened to me today I didnt notice it till I had gone some distance, 15mi or so, as the area was somewhat hilly and I was in traffic I wasnt paying that much attention to my FCD. It was only when I saw my assist at half and the FCD that I processed what had happend
Old 01-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default False sMPG and Bar Graph Reading

Resurrecting an old issue which is new to me. A glitch in the MPG calculation after you do a FAS. The Bar Graph was moving between zero and 150. Zero at stops and 150 when car in motion.

I was excited for a while until I figured out it wasn't for real.
But I got a cool screen saver for my phone now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fcd.jpg (22.3 KB, 53 views)
*Joined the Stable of a Fellow Insighter*: Silver 2001 Insight 5spd - #0160
275+K miles
(Had some bruises, needed some stuff...but I still loved it.)

Citrus w/ A/C - #2083
270+K miles
(Still needs some stuff...but I already love it.)
freezin4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

I've had it happen a dozen or so times and it was always after using the ignition to do a FAS. Since I've installed my injector interrupt switch to initiate a FAS, I haven't had it happen again.

freezin4, I've had a couple of times that I had the FCD maxed out for about 15 miles or so and it was actual; I had to switch to metric to see what I got on those trips. One of them was 1.2L/100km.
Calpod switch
Warm air mod
Grill block
EPS fuse removed
FAS/fuel injector interrupt circuit
grid charger
OBDII C&C gauge
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.