Grinding rattle between 1500 and 2000 rpm - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2008, 03:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Grinding rattle between 1500 and 2000 rpm

Hello everyone,

I've had my insight since late 2004 and have put 75000 trouble free miles on it (122k miles right now). I've got one annoyance that I can't seem to pin down. Around 1500 to 2000 rpm and only when there is strain on the engine, I get this grinding sort of rattle from what sounds like slightly in front and to the right of the driver (not very specific, I know). I've replaced the heat shield on the first cat converter (it used to rattle like crazy) but I still have noise. Crawling under the car and thumping the second cat with my hand produced a noise that sort of sounded similar.

Any advice? It only happens at a specific rpm, and only when accelerating or going uphill. Maintaining speed on level ground doesn't seem to result in noise, neither does revving in neutral.

Thanks,
Wayland
Wayland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2008, 04:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Grinding rattle between 1500 and 2000 rpm

Does it sound kind of like a bad bearing or something like that?

I had something similar to that about a 6 months or a year ago and it was an exhaust leak where the exhaust pipe connects to the engine. They replaced the gasket and the bolts and all has been better.
ScottH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2008, 11:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hello Wayland,

Funny you should mention this problem. I recently suffered with a similar one. A metalic rattling noise around 1700 to1900 rpm, uphill mostly. My car also is a 2004 with approx. 102,300 miles.

With help I found the problem. It turned out to be a broken metal bracket which fastens to the bottom of the first cat., then extends to the back of the engine block. It is some sort of strain relief, no bushings. The bracket can be seen and easily reached after you remove the decorative engine cover. Just lean over the engine, toward the hood, and look straigth down. Of course allow your engine to cool down before making any effort to access this area. You can check to see if this is your problem by grasping the bracket to see if there is any play in it.

If your bracket is broken then you will have to jack up the car and remove both spash guards. You will need a breaker bar or similar device to loosen the bolt that fastens the bracket to the bottom of the cat. (14mm socket). It is on there good, PB blaster will help. The other end of the braket (14mm socket), will take less effort but first you need to remove the small heat shield right along side of it. That heat shield looks like a half moon. It seems to protect the passenger-side CV joint bushing from frying. That heat shield is easy to remove (10mm socket). Depending on which model 2004 you have the bracket part numbers are as follows: 11941-PHM-A50, or 11941-PHM-000. Having the part numbers makes working with the parts guys at the dealership a little easier,....most of the time.

Hope this helps Wayland.

Biofule
Biofule is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2008, 09:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

Biofule,

Wow! So many things to check. I've crawled under the car a bunch of times and looked around but I couldn't find any word or broken parts. The weight of the engine may have been hiding it in this case though. If that's all it is, I'll be ecstatic.

Would you say that it's part#2 in this exploded diagram?

Thanks,
Wayland
Old 08-11-2008, 11:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yes!

Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301K miles
Use: 346K mi. @ 58.0 LMPG

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums...d-insight.html
http://www.seattleeva.org/wiki/User:...ies_Red_Rocket
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../message/12630
Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2008, 10:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

*UPDATE*

I crawled under the car last night and did not find that stay to be broken. Rusty, but still solid. I did, however, finally locate the rattle.

The union between the first cat and the down pipe to the second one is a flexible joint. The gasket is flexible and the bolts are sprung to allow some motion. Well, for some reason the bolts weren't holding things solid on one side. I could move the spring around freely. Squeezing the joint rapidly would reproduce the same pitch tink that I heard under acceleration. The whole exhaust system acted like a resonator and made it sound much worse than it was.

I tried to tighten the suspect bolt, but (surprise, surprise) it was rusted so badly that I snapped off the head. "Well, shoot, now it's going to rattle even worse!" I thought. So, I've got some replacement bolts on order (and replacement everything else that looked very rusted). When the come it, I'm going to have to pull the cat off to be able remove all the old rusty fasteners. In the mean time, I've got it held together with bailing twine and chewing gum (read a C-clamp). The wife's report this morning (she drives it on her 70 mile daily commute) was that the car was quiet, with no rattle at all. Finally!

Now I've just got to work on that back hatch rattle.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm glad I found this post. I just bough a 2000 insight that does this same thing exactly.

I was reassured by the dealership where the previous owner took it that it was not a serious problem, just exhaust or something, but they didn't have any details. I don't know why they apparently couldn't track it down.

I'll be looking around under the car for something like the things you all described next time I get a chance. I hope it's just that simple.
rajuncajun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2010, 10:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default Rattle: exhaust manifold cover or heat shield

I had a serious metallic rattle that turned out to be the heat shield on the exhaust manifold. The metal rotted away around the 4 bolts that hold it in place. It was completely loose and jumping around. The only thing keeping it on the car was a sensor that goes through it. Eventually it might have damaged the sensor or its wiring.

I bought a new one before exploring the old one's condition, which was dumb. All four bolts are shot, but I only bought two new spares. Not sure I can reach the bottom two with torch or Dremel anyway. Didn't think this would be a big job...
Ulandt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2010, 03:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Now I've just got to work on that back hatch rattle.

My back hatch rattles like crazy whenever I go over any kind of bump. It's from the spoiler and the plastic in that area. Pretty much I have just gotten used to it, and I usually have the radio on so that helps. Too bad it's such a pain to remove the spoiler and fix things in there.
leonar40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2010, 07:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

I also have the dreaded rattle which I'll address in the next couple weeks.

Regarding the last posting though, that spoiler is an easy fix... not sure where you're coming from stating that it is tough or complex. Remove the spoiler was simple, then just use JB Weld and reassemble.
Leeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.