P1447 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2008, 05:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default P1447

I got the IMA light the other day and pulled code P1447. My 2000 has 36,725 miles, and the first IMA light and code got me a replacement battery and computers three years ago. So my second battery replacement comes with 12000 miles on the car since the first replacement. My trend line is not going in a promising direction. I try to drive conservatively, and I am careful about keeping the vents unblocked, so I can't understand my short battery life.

When the dealership (Kendall Honda in Eugene, OR) called to give me the bad news this morning they told me that I was out of warranty by three months. I pointed them to the SB that extended the warranty and we eventually agreed that I have another year and a half to go before the warranty runs out. Thanks to all for the info this site has provided over the years, and particularly to those who have kept us updated with Honda Service Bulletins.

I'm on the mima list since it appears that it may be useful in keeping the battery conditioned. I would really prefer some sort of basic installed battery conditioner. I've been following some of the discussions about this sort of thing, and it seems to me that our cars are going to be untenable without something of this nature when the warranty eventually runs out.
rmnelson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2008, 05:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default Re: P1447

Even with the IMA light on and the 120 cell battery disabled... the Insight can run for years as a straight gas car... you just loose auto-stop, Assist , and Regen.

Also the IMA light does not mean the battery is bad or lost... or at the end of its life... all it means is that the BCM does not like the current condition of the battery... nothing more.

But more details are on other threads... such as the one I started here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7943
  • oo-MT-I1: MIMA(#024) +FAS +DabrowskiGridCharger +OBDIC&C +HighwaterDashResetButtons +ACCompressorBypass
  • E-Bike: Folding +ChainlessShaftDrive+8 spd rear hub +500W front hub motor +36v12Ah LiFePO4 +CycleAnalyst Meter
  • On-Going Project: LiFePO4 PHEV Mod
IamIan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2008, 08:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmnelson
My 2000 has 36,725 miles, and the first IMA light and code got me a replacement battery and computers three years ago. So my second battery replacement comes with 12000 miles on the car since the first replacement.
IMHO, this is very disturbing. Unless you simply had the misfortune of getting a dud battery pack (I suppose there is a bad apple in every bucket), the idea of the replacement battery going bad is disturbing -- especially with the updated BCM and MCM, which is supposed to prevent this. I hope you are the exception, and don't become the rule.

-Bryan
Roughly 14,000 miles on my replacement battery, BCM, and MCM -- and hoping for many, many, many miles more.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Perhaps a key here is also time on the clock. (for the original IMA pack anyways)
Insightful Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2008, 07:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insightful Trekker
Perhaps a key here is also time on the clock. (for the original IMA pack anyways)
True. Of course 3 years of life on the replacement pack is short. What I find interesting in this is that over the last three years, he has driven only 12,000 miles -- an average of 4,000 miles a year. There has been speculation on this site that there might be some correlation between low mileage Insights and IMA failure. My personal case and the case of the original poster (along with some others, of course) might back this up. In my case, my battery went bad after 7 years BUT only 25,000 miles. Two months after getting my battery, BCM, and MCM replaced, my commute changed. I'm now putting 18,000 miles a year on the Insight. Hopefully, I'm in the clear now. But I wonder if perhaps the updated BCM and MCM don't address this potential low-use battery pattern?

-Bryan
Old 09-09-2008, 11:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Interesting point about low use. My commute pattern for the entire time I had the replacement was a 44 mile roundtrip 8-10 times per month with about 60% highway. I drive the speed limit and tried to minimize IMA usage. Recently I moved across the country and the commute is now 2-3 times per month of 220 miles round trip. The new commute is 98% freeway. If low use is a killer I'm toast!
rmnelson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.