OBD-II vs. Honda code scanner? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2010, 04:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default OBD-II vs. Honda code scanner?

My '06 MT car continues to have no regenerative braking, no Auto Idle Stop, and charging limited to 4 bars whatever I do...and it shows no MIL light, no IMA light and no codes. I spoke with the service manager at the local Honda dealer and he claims that my nearly new OBD-II scanner (compliant with the CAN system) won't read all Honda codes...that only a factory scanning tool will read them. Is he blowing smoke or is that truthful? Can anyone on this forum answer that question...PLEASE!

Another thing he said suggests perhaps I should avoid him and try another dealer. When I first told him I had an IMA problem and I wanted to know if it was covered under warranty, he gave me an unqualified, "No". So, I showed him my warranty book and specifically pointed out the 8 yr., 80k mile coverage of the ECM, MCM, and BCM. He had no comment. He did, however, suggest I make an appointment to have them diagnose the car and told me it would be a minimum of $50. If the problem is in a warrantied system, shouldn't the diagnosis be covered under the warranty?

So, many forum readers have walked this warranty path before me, do you suggest I avoid this dealer and try elsewhere?

Thanks for the help.
MIMA #108
Grid Charger
buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2010, 04:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
TRI
Lifetime Member

What OBD-II scanner do you have. I'm looking for one.
2000, silver, 5 speed, #0071
TRI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
My '06 MT car continues to have no regenerative braking, no Auto Idle Stop, and charging limited to 4 bars whatever I do...and it shows no MIL light, no IMA light and no codes. I spoke with the service manager at the local Honda dealer and he claims that my nearly new OBD-II scanner (compliant with the CAN system) won't read all Honda codes...that only a factory scanning tool will read them. Is he blowing smoke or is that truthful? Can anyone on this forum answer that question...PLEASE!

Another thing he said suggests perhaps I should avoid him and try another dealer. When I first told him I had an IMA problem and I wanted to know if it was covered under warranty, he gave me an unqualified, "No". So, I showed him my warranty book and specifically pointed out the 8 yr., 80k mile coverage of the ECM, MCM, and BCM. He had no comment. He did, however, suggest I make an appointment to have them diagnose the car and told me it would be a minimum of $50. If the problem is in a warrantied system, shouldn't the diagnosis be covered under the warranty?

So, many forum readers have walked this warranty path before me, do you suggest I avoid this dealer and try elsewhere?

Thanks for the help.
I suggest you try resetting your system (the hard way - by disconnecting your 12v battery) and then see if that corrects anything.
2000 MT #4227 175K miles - Citrus Yellow, BetterBattery
Hybrid-Battery-Repair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2010, 05:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Honda Does use a Special OBD scanners which is able to read all the special systems in the car that a normal OBD scanner wont be able to read. The Honda Diagnostics Scanner usually costs from $600-1000 or more. (search ebay for GNA600)

As for the warranty, from my experience, dealers charge the diagnostic fee initially, but if it turns out the repair that is needed is under warranty, they should refund the diagnostics fee. But if the repair is something else that isnt covered, they keep your diagnostic fee or apply it towards the cost of the repair (if not under warranty)
02insight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2010, 06:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
TRI
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02insight View Post
Honda Does use a Special OBD scanners which is able to read all the special systems in the car that a normal OBD scanner wont be able to read. The Honda Diagnostics Scanner usually costs from $600-1000 or more. (search ebay for GNA600)
In general, is it worth getting a $40-100 from eBay compared to paying the dealer reading the codes out? The $100 ones have some live data reading. Worth it?
2000, silver, 5 speed, #0071
TRI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2010, 06:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies.

I found my OBD-II scanner on eBay at this site:
CAN Bus Universal OBD II OBD 2 Code Scanner /Reader NEW:eBay Motors (item 190363779613 end time Jan-12-10 10:00:00 PST)

I tried two forced recals with this car and neither one brought back regenerative braking. After the forced recal, running the engine at 3,000 rpm in the shop only resulted in 4 bars of charge...shouldn't it charge more than that after a forced recal?

02Insight...thanks for that info. It sounds like it's worth the $50 to see what the Honda "code sniffer" says about my car. I still have doubts if I can work with that service department, but at least I'll know if the Honda diagnostic tool is better than my OBD-II scanner.
MIMA #108
Grid Charger
buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2010, 07:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

My cheap $50 Harbor Frieght code reader was able to pull several codes when I had IMA problems but I have heard of some type of "sub codes" that can only be read with the Honda scanner.
DVD / HD radio head unit w/500w Kenwood amp & .5 farad cap
4x Kenwood 6.5" 3-ways & Kicker 8" L7 in custom stealth box (via Expert Fabricator)
7" LCD monitor in passenger sun visor/ 35% tint/ Nitrofill @ 50psi
Fl_Fyr_Fytr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 07:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

The only "universal" codes that any scanner can read are the emission related ones all other systems on the car are different.
Hitech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 09:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

A group of us in the UK bought a GNA 600 clone scanner but we can't the bloody thing to work properly. The Honda tool is supposed to read more information especially from the IMA system.

Our tool seems to have a software problem so if anyone can get the current software from a Honda Dealer I'm interested.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the info, I was about to buy a clone of this scaner.
talonmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.