Cleaning carpet, removing armor-all - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2010, 02:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default Cleaning carpet, removing armor-all

I've never bought a car with carpet as dirty as this one. I've had my 2000 for months now and I thought that driving and parking with the windows open after the weather got warm would get rid of that 'previous owner' sort of smell and that I wouldn't smell the same smell and it would be more like the smell of my other cars. I don't have any leaks and it isn't a moist smell, it's sort of a cologney sort of air freshener smell. It doesn't smell bad to me but it just doesn't bode well with me to have it smell like someone else. What's the best way of cleaning the carpet and floor mats?

The previous owner also did the whole armor-all routine on the car, and just like every wanna-be detailer, he armor-all'ed the dash. How do I get the armor-all shine off the dash? The shine makes the car nearly impossible to drive with the terrible reflection against the windshield considering the angles they face each other at. Note to anyone who might sell their car in the future: Please don't put armor-all on the surface of your dashboard where it will reflect against the windshield and blind the driver. I don't really see the point of armor-all in general and I never use it myself but it's driving me nuts.

In short:
Question 1: What's the best cleaner/method for cleaning the carpet? I think I only need to clean the surface and if possible see if I can get it clean enough without taking the actual carpet out.
Question 2: How do I remove the armor-all shine that is blinding me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2010, 02:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

I removed all my seats and carpet. You will have to cut the carpet under the dash in the middle, our you will have to remove the dash.

I cleaned mines with a pressure gun. They came like new.

I think that glass cleanner should remove your armorall.
talonmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 02:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to WoodyInsight
Smile

Use something like simple green. Lots of water(I use a garden hose). Water is the best for removing soil. A good stiff nylon brush. Must use a good wet/dry vac to suck the water out as you don't want to leave the interior soaked. Once you get it clean park in the sun with your windows down until it totally drys, this may take a day or 2 to finish drying. I have used this method several times in the past and the carpet ended up looking like new. It also works on the seats as well.
I agree with talonmike, glass cleaner should work well to remove the shine from the dash.
WoodyInsight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 02:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to WoodyInsight
Unhappy

Sorry, just realized this was an older post...
WoodyInsight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 04:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
TRI
Lifetime Member

I took the carpets to the bathroom (yes, no wife at home) and cleaned them with laundry detergent powder and hot water.
I hate Armor-All products for their smell. I use Meguiars or similar.
As for the smell, my car was sweating a little bit, not a very nice odor. I've bought a neutralizer which is put in the car and with the A/C ON and in recirculation mode and the windows closed it's spraying it's content within 10 minutes or so into the interior. Good result. Neutral odor and smell went away $10 later.
2000, silver, 5 speed, #0071
TRI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 04:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

thanks for the good info,
I have the same problem with the carpet...
2000 mt silver, 303k presently , 57 lt mpg (reset at 201k) mima #127 .
Jivko57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 04:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Carpet Smell

If the carpet and upholstery smell lingers, don't forget baking soda. You can actually put it down and leave it for a couple days, then vacuum it back up. Do it a couple of times if needed.

My dash was armor-all cleaned when I picked mine up, the steering wheel was very slippery, too. That shine only lasted a couple months, though.

Brian
BrianZ54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 08:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

talonmike, I'll probably use a pressure washer or at least a high pressure hose nozzle on a garden hose for the floor mats but I'm not looking to remove the seats or carpet. The seats are clean, it's the floors that have spills and years of grime brought in by shoes.

WoodyInsight, I've got some simple green and a garden hose, sounds good. I'll have to wait until I've got a few days to where I can leave the windows down to do that. It's not an older post

Glass cleaner on the dash, I'll try that, thanks.

TRI, I've never come across any neutralizer product like this, is it available in auto parts stores, where did you find it?

BrianZ54, I've used baking soda before for other stuff, I'll add a small amount to the simple green if they don't produce a crazy reaction. Hopefully the shine goes away with the glass cleaner because it's been months and still seems to be as shiny as day 1.

Thanks for the advice, and of course any further advice.

Another question, when you guys go into the gas station, what do you do with the gas cap? On every car that I've had there either was a hook to hang the cap on or a tether to hold it to the car. I have no place to put the cap and I put it on the roof and it blew away on me the last time I tried to fill up. I ran after it and got it but is there a trick or a missing tether or something?
Old 04-15-2010, 11:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Dash - use water and dish soap to remove Armour-all, nothing else needed. Simple-Green is not kind to metal if left and no need to go that strong.

Carpets - just use Tide (or other good laundry soap) and hot water with a nylon brush to scrub then suck it up with a shop-vac. Only do that when its warm enough to leave the windows cracked for a couple days as it will need to air-dry. It is easy enough to remove the seats to do this and do it right

Windows - Windex is one of the worst things you can use. For clean windows just use water with a couple drops of dish soap as this will not streak. sometimes its nice to also put a little white vinegar in this solution to eliminate any hard-water spots

Good luck
Leeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2010, 01:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

Mn drive:
Back in 2003 I got a gas cap caddy from the local Honda dealer. It is a factory item but I can't remember the model or part number. (It's a stock Honda item) It sticks on the inside of the filler lid with double sided tape and the cap is placed into it in a Horizontal position.
PM me with a good E mail address and I'll send you some pictures.

Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301K miles
Use: 337K mi. @ 57.8 LMPG

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums...d-insight.html
http://www.seattleeva.org/wiki/User:...ies_Red_Rocket
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../message/12630
Willie Williford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.