codes P1600 P1449 ?? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2010, 12:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default codes P1600 P1449 ??

Hi All,
I haven't posted in a while. I have a 2003 Insight bought new and have had no big problems with my car until yesterday the MIL (check engine light( and the IMA lights both lit up simultaneously and have stayed on. We brought the car in to Boch Honda in Norwood where we puchased it and have it regularly serviced. They said the IMA BIG battery needs to be replaced and have ordered it saying it is covered under warranty.

The car only has 20,000 miles on it and the IMA battery needs replacing? That doesn't sound right and can't imagine having to replace the battery every 20,000 miles or so.

The car isn't driven much since we both work from home now. It can go 1-2 weeks without being driven anywhere. Could the lack of use be BAD for the battery?

I believe that the P1449 means the IMA needs to be replaced but what does P1600 and ...." PCM Update for program HMA 130... mean????

The last two times we took the car out the battery charge was only about 3 bars abut after driving for a bit it was fully recharged.

Any suggestions/advice is appreciated.

Murasaki

Last edited by murasaki; 11-29-2010 at 05:12 PM.
murasaki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2010, 08:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

The symptoms could indicate that the pack needs to be rebalanced, to equalize the cells.
Read this thread for more information:
grid charger/balancer

If you want to give it a try, I am just down the road in CT, and you could drive it down early Saturday, and we could give it a grid charge to see if that helps.
Mike Dabrowski 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2010, 03:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by murasaki View Post
The car only has 20,000 miles on it and the IMA battery needs replacing? That doesn't sound right and can't imagine having to replace the battery every 20,000 miles or so.

The car isn't driven much since we both work from home now. It can go 1-2 weeks without being driven anywhere. Could the lack of use be BAD for the battery?
VERY bad for the battery.
2000 MT #4227 175K miles - Citrus Yellow, BetterBattery
Hybrid-Battery-Repair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2010, 05:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Mike,
Thanks for the reply. Several other people have mentioned the cells being unbalanced too and that not driving the car could have contributed to this imbalance. I was unaware of such problems and have learned a valuable lesson. Boch Honda will be replacing my battery on Friday. They said it's covered under warranty and needs to be replaced. I'm hoping that should turn off the IMA and MIL lights and the P1449 & P1660 codes. I'll keep you posted. I might come visit. The guys at the Honda dealer just say fix this and that and seem annoyed with any questions or opinions that might differ from theirs.
Thanks for your advice and offer.
Murasaki
Old 11-30-2010, 05:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I had a feeling I might have caused my own problems

Thanks for your reply.

Murasaki
Old 11-30-2010, 08:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

I spoke with a guy in Las Vegas that only uses his car for short trips, and he just had his pack replaced for the 4th time, the car is a 2003 with only 25K.
Good luck with the new pack.
Mike Dabrowski 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2010, 10:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dabrowski 2000 View Post
I spoke with a guy in Las Vegas that only uses his car for short trips, and he just had his pack replaced for the 4th time, the car is a 2003 with only 25K.
Good luck with the new pack.
I had someone come in with 35K on his 2000 and only 3K on his 5th pack before it acted up. I sold him a grid charger.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I worked from home during the first 6 years I owned my Insight and drove only on weekends. Honda replaced the IMA battery twice within less than 20,000 miles of driving. Others have had similar experiences, so lack of regular driving and early battery failure are almost certainly related. This is a serious weakness in Honda's hybrid technology. Most of us want to use less gasoline. A good way to use less gasoline is to drive a hybrid. But the best way to use less gasoline is to drive less. But apparently, both don't work well together, at least for Honda hybrids.

Now that my Insight is out of warranty, I don't want to pay to replace or rebuild my IMA battery regularly. Rebalancing the cells of the IMA battery after having not driven a Honda hybrid for over a week but before driving seems like a way to minimize the problem of cell imbalance caused by differing rates of self-discharge among the 120 individual cells in an Insight IMA battery. I bought a custom IMA battery charger/balancer over a year ago and have been rebalancing the cells in my battery whenever I park my car for more than a week. My current IMA battery seems to be much stronger than the two previous batteries. I don't think that that's a coincidence, but only time will tell for certain.

So if you plan to continue driving your Insight sporadically, want to keep it, but don't want to keep replacing the IMA battery, you might consider buying and using an IMA battery charger/balancer. However, doing so would likely void your IMA battery warranty, so you might be stuck with letting Honda pay to replace your IMA battery until the IMA battery warranty expires. That's probably what I would do.
Uppsala, Sweden: 2000 Insight A/C #559 with Honda security system, Genesis One MIMA+FAS and grid charger, OBDIIC&C, Rostra, Fumoto, DEFA engine block heater, Philips LED DRL's
Honolulu: 2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV

Last edited by aisbell; 12-01-2010 at 08:13 PM.
aisbell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2010, 02:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default NEW Honda IMA battery but MIL & IMA lights on again

Thanks everyone who replied to my post.

Well Boch honda just replaced my IMA battery today and after getting in the car I noticed the charge was only 2 bars, then after starting it it went up to a full charge. The charge and assist work. BUT-------------the MIL & IMA lights BOTH came back on.

WHY is the happening again when the battery is brand new????

HELP

Murasaki
Old 12-04-2010, 02:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks everyone who replied to my post.

Well Boch honda just replaced my IMA battery today and after getting in the car I noticed the charge was only 2 bars, then after starting it it went up to a full charge. The charge and assist work. BUT-------------the MIL & IMA lights BOTH came back on.

WHY is the happening again when the battery is brand new????

HELP

Murasaki
Take it back. They either didn't connect something or the new pack has a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.