Brakes make grinding noise after a few days of inactivity - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2010, 10:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Brakes make grinding noise after a few days of inactivity

I've noticed that if I don't drive my car for 3-4 days, the brakes will make this rough grinding noise when I first use them as if there's sand caught in between. The noise goes away after using the brakes a few more times, but always returns if I let the car sit for a few days. If I drive it every day, I don't hear it. Anyone know what's causing it or is this normal for the Insight??
randomfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2010, 10:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Could easily simply be rust, not sure what the weathers been like where you're at. The rotors are bare steal and rust easily, nothing to worry about. If they make no noise once the cars been driven for a short time it is nothing.
Leeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2010, 01:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

I was thinking rust as well except my other car doesn't make the noise despite sitting in the driveway for over a week. I live in SoCal so besides few rains this fall, it's pretty dry most of the time. No one else has a similar issue with their Insight?
randomfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2010, 02:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm about as So in Cal (San Diego) as you can get. With the moisture in the air it still could be rust if the car is left outside. Have you had them measured to make sure they are within spec? Factory pads are very inexpensive and extremely easy to replace (got mine for @$20 off eBay)... you may want to just replace them.
Leeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2010, 12:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have the same problem with mine after I wash it or leave it in the rain. Just flash rust on the rotor.
jh057 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2010, 12:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ditto

Mine also do the same thing
talonmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2010, 09:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

it must be a common issue, mine does the exact same thing. only takes a few stops for it to go away
Atheos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 07:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Brake grinding noise

For me, grinding noise on application of brakes has always meant metal on metal contact and has always demanded immediate (without delay) inspection of ALL brake pads, brake shoes, drums, and rotors to avoid catastrophic damage. However, on Insight front brakes, noise can be caused by brake pads which can hang up on the guide pins. These can be be cleaned and lubed as has been discussed elsewhere.
Hugh-Falls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 11:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

My brakes to the very same thing just about every morning. The noise goes away by the time I get to work. I know my brakes are good because the pads are pretty new. If the brakes were metal on metal, the grinding sound would not go away.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.