which one is idler pulley? big or small? - Page 2 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2011, 05:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akachan View Post
Yep I know it still dives w/out belt, had to go 1/4 mile after belt dropped, it's in neighbors driveway bc it's level and my driveway is roughly 7% grade. Gonna jack it up and try to do work myself. Suggest going in from above or below or a little of both? I am not averse to hiring a mechanic, trouble is in my tiny town of 10,000 no one knows sh*t about this car. Actually, even at the couple of Honda dealerships I've gone by in LA no one knows about the 1st gen Insight. I work every day until Feb 5, so will begin repair adventure then.

What's your mileage?

Support Halo Select Auto Parts

Text Brents Mom419-460-436 seven

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kevin Dougherty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2011, 05:54 PM   #12 (permalink)

Mileage just rolled over 170,000 so mine is not a baby, but still a teenager and behaving erratically just like a teenager.
akachan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 01:58 PM   #13 (permalink)

Default new parts here, about to install

Ok, got new idler pulley and going to do install tomorrow. I have all of the necessary aero panels removed, car is jacked up, the pulley install area is easy to get to...of course, have some questions...

The idler pulley and "idle pulley bolt" and "idle pulley adjuster bolt" and both collars all fell off while driving...along with nuts, bolts, and washers....I have all of the parts and tools (minus torque wrench) and am ready to go and install, I just need some info which I haven't been able to find here on the site...Mainly,

How do I put it all together? Does the "back" end of the idle pulley adjuster bolt snug around the idle pulley? Where and how does the idle pulley bolt attach onto the side of the engine?

I know I am an amateur but I am really dedicated to learning all there is to know about repairing this car so I can drive it for the rest of my life, or until I can afford a reliable pure electric vehicle. Also, no professional privateer or dealer mechanics in my area have a clue about this car, believe me I've asked them. thanks for all help.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #14 (permalink)

While your Insight is "special" in many ways, the
belt idler pulley arrangement is pretty much the same in any
Honda; other brand cars too. So, any competent mechanic should be able
to help you. If you just show up with your new parts,
he should quickly show/tell you how it all goes together....
CycleDoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 12:12 AM   #15 (permalink)

Default idler pulley bracket

is it possible to post pictures in my reply here on insightcentral? My idler pulley bracket seems "off", ie, the hole for the tensioner bolts for the idler pulley looks like it may have sheared. The tensioner bolts are straight / undamaged. I want to get the wonderful contributors' opinion. I was aware of idler pulley going bad but continued to drive until it actually fell off, which may have f*cked up the bracket. Anyone had similar issue?
Old 01-27-2011, 12:47 AM   #16 (permalink)

Default Installation instructions

OK akachan. This will go by part numbers in the diagram previously referred to.

Part #7 can be replaced. If so I would get part #7, part #16, and #22. If you are unsure, get those parts anyway.

The following assumes that part #7 is OK. Part #7 has a slot in the end of it that part #12 will go through.
Part #12 has internal threading and part #8 has external threading. Part #8 has a slot in one end of it and a nut at the end of it.

Put #12 through the slot in #7 as indicated. Thread #8 into the internal threads of #12. Put the slot end of #8 into the very end of part #7.

Now, when you turn the nut end of #8, it will have the effect of pulling part #12 towards it. This is what positions the idler pulley and tensions the belt.

Parts #10, (#3 or #9), #11, #13, and #19 go on to the end of #12.

When you torque down #19 sufficiently, then you can no longer position the idler pulley or tension the belt.
Loosen #19 to adjust the belt tension, and tighten #19 before driving the vehicle.

How tight should the belt be? Again, I do not have my manual with me. There may be a deflection method. I got a pricey "belt tension tool" from Majestic. The part # is listed in the service manual.
Elsewhere in insightcentral.net, someone advised -- "not too tight".

I think that you should have a mechanic check it or do it with torque wrenches and socket set(s). You might be able to do without the "belt tension tool."

You should buy two torque wrenches. The one used for installing a wheel would handle 80 ft-pd. This should fit an 1/2" socket.
As I recall, the one for bolt #19 would be 22 N-M. This should best fit a 3/8# socket. Do it right. The value of your vehicle should go higher as gas prices go higher.
3Banger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 01:24 AM   #17 (permalink)

Default 3banger thanks

thanks! your instructions are very easy for me to understand.

So the 'slot' in part #7 isn't just a round hole pretty much the same diameter as the bolt, part #12? It's a rounded 'slot' approx. 1-1/12" long with the same diameter as part #12? I thought the hole for part #12 had sheared when the idler pulley fell off and created a 'slot'.

I am eager to learn as much as possible about this car and cars in general and I can't understand why it would be a slot (that allows for movement) rather than a rigid hole?

I put an ad on craigslist and have a shadetree mechanic coming by with some torque wrenches to help out tomorrow. I am not one of these ultra frugal douches trying to rip everyone off. Rather, my love for this car means I trust no one to work on it besides myself. Sorry to you honest mechanics out there, but I've been close friends with too many of the crooks.

Southern California routinely has the highest gas prices and longest commutes in the nation, so when gas is at $5.50/gal I'm NOT going to sell my Insight for $10k like I easily could. I am really trying to understand as much as I can about this car so I can buy a couple more, fix minor issues, and resell them. Anybody local wanna go in with me?
Old 01-28-2011, 12:57 AM   #18 (permalink)

Default Great Success !!

I installed the idler pulley and re-set the serpentine belt. The car seems ok. I had to refill the radiator reservoir. When the pulley initially fell off it had boiled over. Gonna test it out up here in the mountains tomorrow when my wife is around in case I need assistance. If all seems well I'll drive it the 75 miles to work in LA instead of Miss Piggy the gas guzzler. I've been driving my 05 Element 24mpg to work for the past 19 days. I'm hoping that will be over. Here's a poem I wrote about it:

... tension seems OK
it's silent, but could it also be deadly?

I'm concerned about overheating ...

Gonna take it out on the highway
tomorrow.
Not the freeway,

just the highway.

I feel confident enough that the little red baby Akachan is back in running form (knock on wood) that I washed up from working on it, put on my velour track suit, opened a mini keg of Dortmunder Actien Brauerei Original, and am relaxing by the fireplace. Ahh...
Thank you everyone on insightcentral. Of course, I'll let you know if I'm stranded on the side of the road...

BTW, Is the serpentine belt supposed to go on the inside or outside of the idler pulley?

c * o * a * s * t *
Old 01-28-2011, 09:07 AM   #19 (permalink)

"I'm concerned about overheating ..."

You say refilled the little tank, but did you also check/fill the radiator
itself..? A boil-over can empty the coolant system very quickly.

As you may know, the rad should be totally full. When the engine heats,
the coolant expands, and any excess is pushed into the expansion tank.
When the engine cools, fluid is sucked back into the rad as necessary.

So watch the expansion tank level for a couple trips.

Belt-wise; smooth pulleys face the smooth side of belts....
CycleDoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 01:10 PM   #20 (permalink)

Default Thanks to all, Akachan is running fine

Zvu zvu zvu knock on wood.... I've sobered up since writing my car repair poem. Put 750 miles on my baby Akachan and she's running great! The idler pulley was relatively easy to install and really the hardest part was removing and reinstalling the under aero panels. This is the most in depth repair I've ever done in my own and it would never have been possible without the help of the members of this amazing forum. If anyone out there needs advice dealing with replacing the idler pulley plz call during regular hours PST ( three UNO zero) eighty eight zero - tu tu seven 5. Thx again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
idler pulley, loud whirring noise, lous whirring noise, water pump noise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Random Question