Passing NYS inspection with dead IMA - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2011, 11:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Passing NYS inspection with dead IMA

Hey, havent been on here in a while. but i need some help. desperately and quickly.

about 6 months ago my IMA died. I have been driving my car since then, no other problems.

I just recently moved to New York, and registered my car here. But i need to pass the state emissions inspection. they wont test it with the CEL on, even if it is just because of the dead IMA.

i certainly cant afford to have my IMA replaced, so i need to know if there is any way i can get the CEL to go off so i can get it inspected. i tried the old trick to "reset" the car by disconnecting the under the hood battery, but that didnt work because all of the cars systems had been reset, and the inspection computer wasnt getting a read from them.

if i shut off the big switch to my IMA, will that deactivate it, thus turning off my CEL light, and allowing me to pass the test without issue? if this is the case, can someone please point me in the direction of said switch

any other ideas?

quick replies are greatly appreciated, as i only have a limited time to get this figured out

thanks so much!
-erik
Past Vehicles:
'94 Geo Metro, '06 Honda CBR600f4i, '93 Mazda MX-3, '91 Honda Civic
Hopeful Future Vehicles:
Honda CBR250r, Jeep Wrangler
ikhoudvanu199 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2011, 03:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

As with any vehicle that has its CEL cleared, even with repairs, you will have to drive the vehicle numerous miles (Up to 50 even) under various load and rpm scenerios. The emissions part of the vehicle has to be "re learned" by the ECM.
Try not to use any scenerio that would activate the IMA/CEL light and you will be fine.
(Heavy throttle at a low rpm is your biggest enemy)
HTH
Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301K miles
Use: 346K mi. @ 58.0 LMPG

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums...d-insight.html
http://www.seattleeva.org/wiki/User:...ies_Red_Rocket
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../message/12630
Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 07:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

There are inexpensive DIY methods of refurbishing your battery, but if you don't want to go down that road, I would install a clutch switch to disable assist and regen, and try to drive like that for a while without triggering the IMA light. Your battery might have enough life left in it that you'd retain auto stop.

It's more like 4-6 drive cycles before the CEL monitors are reset, and the specific conditions that are required are documented somewhere deep in the Honda literature. Basically, make sure you include some cold starts, some high speed, a complete warm-up, and maybe some other stuff.

As to what happens if you throw the HV disconnect switch, reset the CEL, and drive, I'm not sure. My hunch is that the CEL would either come on the first day of driving it like that, or not at all. Let us know.

If you were in Western New York, I'd offer to help you out with your battery, but since you're downstate (presumably), perhaps you should contact Hybrid-Battery-Repair.
RobertSmalls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 07:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

I already tried that. Unfortunately my IMA is so shot, the CEL and IMA lights came on after on 20 miles. So that wont work. Thanks for the reply, though

Any other ideas?
Past Vehicles:
Hopeful Future Vehicles:
Old 02-16-2011, 07:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Do a forced re-cal three times:

Drill:

Remove the EPS Fuse (fuse box under the hood) Disconnect the 12V bat for 1 min. Re connect the 12 v bat and start the car bring the RPM to 3000 and hold until the SOC returns to full and the forced charge stops (can take a while be patient). When that occurs shut down and repeat the procedure two more times. Re-install the EPS fuse and input your radio code

Take the car our and do one hard acceleration the get max assist for about 10 sec followed by a decell with light braking to get max recharge..that's it.

The CEL wight and IMA light will be gone and your are good to go. As others have mentioned you need to drive normally for 25-30 miles to set all the readiness codes.

Don't be surprised if your battery stays good for a long time.
Hitech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 06:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikhoudvanu199 View Post
Hey, havent been on here in a while. but i need some help. desperately and quickly.

about 6 months ago my IMA died. I have been driving my car since then, no other problems.

I just recently moved to New York, and registered my car here. But i need to pass the state emissions inspection. they wont test it with the CEL on, even if it is just because of the dead IMA.

i certainly cant afford to have my IMA replaced, so i need to know if there is any way i can get the CEL to go off so i can get it inspected. i tried the old trick to "reset" the car by disconnecting the under the hood battery, but that didnt work because all of the cars systems had been reset, and the inspection computer wasnt getting a read from them.

if i shut off the big switch to my IMA, will that deactivate it, thus turning off my CEL light, and allowing me to pass the test without issue? if this is the case, can someone please point me in the direction of said switch

any other ideas?

quick replies are greatly appreciated, as i only have a limited time to get this figured out

thanks so much!
-erik
Erik,

Call me. I may have a solution for you. BTW, this is going to be a problem every year for you.
2000 MT #4227 175K miles - Citrus Yellow, BetterBattery
Hybrid-Battery-Repair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2011, 09:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

well the reset trick worked. thanks! it lasted just long enough to get my car through inspection. the IMA light is back on, but oh well
Past Vehicles:
Hopeful Future Vehicles:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.