EPS not working - Page 3 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 04:55 PM   #21 (permalink)

My EPS code 17 indicates an open circuit on the ground (white wire between the torque sensor connector (7P) on the rack, and the EPS control unit connector B (14P) inside down under the passengers right foot area.) I pulled it all apart today and saw that someone tried to repair this before using a seperate wire, and not properly attempted. Upon removal of the battery and battery tray, I ohm-metered the white wire and sure enough it was open. I unwound the black electrical tape and pulled off the plastic corrogated loom. There were a couple chew spots from a mouse. I pulled out the last repair attempt, and soldered and heat shrunk 5 connections in 3 different locations (all were chewed through.) All done. Tested good closed (white) ground wire now, but the EPS code (17) is still stored. These codes appearently don't erase themselves once repaired. No power steering. So short of buying a Honda PGM or going to a dealer, is there any way to short pins in the OBD2 port to clear the EPS stored code? Or any other method to clear EPS stored codes?
chris22104 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #22 (permalink)

Interesting! And loss of 12v or is your IMA good? My IMA is bad and totally disconnected. Speedometer not working and then EPS light come on and lose power steering. I have a short somewhere that is driving us nuts to find.
fishtrap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #23 (permalink)

I'm going to take the EPS control unit out of one of my other Insights and see if it solves the problem. I won't be able to do it until next week. I will let you know how it goes. Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #24 (permalink)

Good thinking! I'll try the same! Thanks!
chris

EDIT: With my wiring correctly repaired now, and still pulling the EPS 17 code, I contacted Mike D. on how to erase. He said in order to clear all stored EPS and ABS codes, you simply pull the negative lead off your 12v battery for 30 seconds. Well, my battery and battery box were out for hours while I repaired my wiring, and once all back together, I was still getting the same 17 blink code. But I knew that specific wire (and all the wires) were good now from one end to the other after repairing and testing with my ohm meter. Thanks Pennyduke for the suggestion of swapping out the control modules! I tried the module from my 02, and sure enough, the module was the problem! Power steering is now back, and no more EPS code! The previous owner told me his Honda dealer told him he needed a whole new rack system and wanted to charge him $2k! So he drove the car for a long time with no EPS. Don't believe everything dealers tell you. It's all about how much $$$ in service sales they can sell.....

Last edited by chris22104; 11-22-2012 at 08:51 PM.
chris22104 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #25 (permalink)

Chris, I'm glad to hear that that worked for you. I'm spending too much time in the woods this week hunting. I should be able to switch mine at the end of the week. That's one of the benefits of owning more than one Insight. Thanks
Old 12-18-2012, 09:38 PM   #26 (permalink)

I think I screwed up. I took the PCU off my other 2000 and put it on the one with no power steering. The EPS light went off for a second then came back on. I disconnected the battery for an hour and tried it again and still no PS. So I put the PCU back on the other car with the good PS and it now has no PS. What did I do wrong. Now I have 2 cars with no power steering.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #27 (permalink)

Blown fuse, one under the hood.?
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301K miles
Use: 338K mi. @ 57.8 LMPG

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums...d-insight.html
http://www.seattleeva.org/wiki/User:...ies_Red_Rocket
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../message/12630
Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #28 (permalink)

Does the 12v battery need to be disconnected when switching the PCU's on both cars. I hope I didn't fry the good one.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:39 PM   #29 (permalink)
Lean Burn = Happiness

I have two of these modules if they are needed.
Current score: Bought/Selling/Sold/Dismantled nine silvers, two blues, and a Citrus beauty to keep for myself.
jeff652 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 03:26 PM   #30 (permalink)

Jeff, How much for both?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.