EGR Plate Cleaning - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2011, 05:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default EGR Plate Cleaning

So I bought a 2001 Insight about 3 weeks ago and it had some shuddering transmission problems and also a pretty bad hesitation/shudder from the engine when a load was put on it or at acceleration. I first "reburnished" the "start clutch" on the CVT transmission, this helped a lot when driving the vehicle from standstill. Then I went to the dealer and had the transmission fluid replaced. This also helped a lot but the engine was now exhibiting jumpy and unbalanced acceleration.
I replaced the EGR Valve at the dealership and the fine throttle control and some of the shuddering went away but not completely. After posting it on my "just got my insight" thread, Jeff was kind enough to tell me about the "EGR Plate" that is between the intake manifold and head, that needed cleaning.So I went over and got the plate cleaned. Now the car has no shuddering or jerking acceleration or while putting a load on the motor.
Here are some photos of the Cleaning.

Got the Plate out

You can see how caked up it was! All 3 of the EGR passages were totally clogged looking!

Start off by cleaning the metal gasket

Then clean the plate and get the crud out with any means possible!
Brake cleaner and anything to scoop the stuff out with. I recommend bamboo skewers, tooth brush and brake cleaner to be gentle on the alu.

Thanks goes out to Jeff652 for the help with my EGR plate cleaning.
2001 Insight CVT #2657
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

211,136 miles 10-22-11
Color: B-66P= Monte Carlo Blue Mica

Last edited by 2001Insight; 11-14-2011 at 01:47 PM.
2001Insight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2011, 05:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Once you have it this clean just install and go for a drive! You will love the feeling.

Thanks goes out to Jeff652 for the help with my EGR plate cleaning.
2001 Insight CVT #2657
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

211,136 miles 10-22-11

Last edited by 2001Insight; 11-14-2011 at 05:19 AM.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lean Burn = Happiness

Cool pics. It was a pleasure hanging out. Thanks again for the beverages. I got home from work and opened the fridge and was like "woah, score!"

Extending the life of your hybrid
Best Tank: 90.2MPG over 918.7 miles 010MCM/030BCM, No MIMA. Details:

2006 Dark Blue Insight. Bought/Selling/Sold/Dismantled nine silvers, three blues, and a Citrus

jeff652 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 01:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Anytime Jeff! I left a message with the paint shop about the "Metallic Silver" , I'll get the order ready for you.
2001 Insight CVT #2657

211,136 miles 10-22-11
Old 06-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default Gasket Part Number

Great write up! Thank you! Just thought I'd leave a quick note in with the

Gasket part number: 17146-PHM-004

so folks could order it ahead of time when doing this repair / tune-up. You'll have to go thru Majestic or your local dealer, as RockAuto does not carry it.

This provided all the benefits listed immediately after cleaning the plate on my girlfriend's 2001 MT (no AC) Insight.

Three key tools to make sure to have ahead of time:
1) 12mm ratcheting wrench. (in pictures above, but not called out)
2) Magnetic pickup collapsible wand thingy
3) Someone with small fingers. (My girlfriend was instrumental in getting the lower two nuts back on their posts when re-securing the intake.)
(All three are related to those bottom two nuts.)

Quite simple, cheap (budget $30 for gasket with shipping, $6 for a can of cleaner (penetrating lube or brake cleaner or similar).
eaglecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 11:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Did this today, will see what kind of difference the cleaning and the new accord egr valve make on the trip to work in the morning. Here's what mine looked like (top one is off my car, bottom is off my parts car that I cleaned prior to uninstalling the other)...

2002 CVT Insight- Bumblebee battery, civic vx 13x5 wheels, 155/80r13 kumho tires, Rostra Cruise, rear wiper delete, hot intake mod, Hybrid Automotive grid charger, Morimoto Hids, Daewoo Matiz rear springs, muffler delete pipe, 99 Accord egr valve and more to come...
j23civicsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 11:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

I wonder if an hour in a ultrasonic cleaner wouldn't clean them up like new. I have been trying to justify buying the larger (2.5 Liter) ultrasonic cleaner at harbor freight anyway

Ultrasonic Cleaner - 2.5 Liter

On sale for $83 and using the 25% off coupon $62.25

25% off coupon code 83222653

Printable (print it at 30% of original size)
http://slickdeals.net/forums/attachm...2&d=1400032860
Hmmmm
Foos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2014, 02:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Wow great info and pictures. My insight has the same issues and it's around 239k miles. Definitely going to do this this weekend on my day off
Buis02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 06:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

I will be doing this soon, but was wondering: Is a gasket replacement necessary/desirable? I imagine, from the pictures, that the gasket could be cleaned and reused, so why would buying one be desirable?
rlay1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 07:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlay1 View Post
I will be doing this soon, but was wondering: Is a gasket replacement necessary/desirable? I imagine, from the pictures, that the gasket could be cleaned and reused, so why would buying one be desirable?
I'm personally not a fan of reusing the gaskets. The large gasket between the plate and the cylinder head is of a metal compression type and once compressed, does not return to the original shape. The seal is potentially unreliable.

The other seals are the 3 O-rings on the individual intake runners. They are of a rubbery material, probably neophrime, and can harden and distort over time.

The total cost of the seals and gaskets is about $32 at Majestic. Doesn't seem to me like a good gamble to reuse the old stuff.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Random Question