Are there any good Honda repair shops to replace EGR valve and cleaning EGR plate? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 06:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Are there any good Honda repair shops to replace EGR valve and cleaning EGR plate?

I live in Connecticut and I asked a mechanic at the Honda dealer service center about doing this. However, he said I don't need this done unless I get a code. I don't think they have a clue that the EGR valve and gets clogged up with junk after driving the car 100K+ miles. So, I'm looking for a good place that really knows the 1st Gen. Honda Insight and how to replace the EGR valve and clean the EGR place. I already have a brand new EGR valve. I will probably keep the original EGR valve, have it refurbished somehow and keep as a spare part.

Thanks,

Russ

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

Russ, it seems the EGR valve replacing is a fairly simple procedure, my regular mechanics did it in 2009 an do not think they have done it on a Honda insight 1st gen before that.
Unfortunately they threw away the old EGR valve so I could not play with it.

I would have asked them to clean the plate too, but it sounded too complicated to explain .

As I have seen several very good posts on the EGR plate cleaning, and actually cleaned my EGR plate in beginning of 2010 , It may be quite clogged again so I will probably need to do it again soon . As far as I remember it was very easy, just one of the bolts was a little hard to access, the first time it took me a couple of hours , for a person that knows what he is doing it may be shorter than 30 min....
2000 mt silver, 314k presently , 56.8 lt mpg (reset at 201k) mima #127 .
Jivko57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2012, 12:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

So it sounds like it's easier to replace the EGR valve than cleaning out the EGR plate. I will have the dealer replace the EDR valve for me. As for cleaning the EGR plate, I doubt I can do this by myself. I need to find someone who has done this before.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellc View Post
So it sounds like it's easier to replace the EGR valve than cleaning out the EGR plate. I will have the dealer replace the EDR valve for me. As for cleaning the EGR plate, I doubt I can do this by myself. I need to find someone who has done this before.
Replacing the EGR valve is a 10 minute job. You can do it.

A couple of nuts hold it in. Really simple, it is right in the front of the motor, very easy to reach. One electrical connector to pull. About as tough as an oil change, and nowhere near as dirty.

Just in case, I got the EGR gasket also with the valve. Probably not needed, but for the few pennies, I always figure if I don't get the gasket, I will actually need it.

You can do the plate, but it is a little more involved. But ANY mechanic can do it, all you need is a 1/4 inch drive with a swivel attachment to reach the two lower intake nuts. There is a GREAT tutorial here, if you can't find it let me know. Just search "EGR plate cleaning".

Regards,
Jerry
Old 05-07-2012, 11:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsfent View Post

A couple of nuts hold it in. Really simple, it is right in the front of the motor, very easy to reach. One electrical connector to pull. About as tough as an oil change, and nowhere near as dirty.

Just in case, I got the EGR gasket also with the valve. Probably not needed, but for the few pennies, I always figure if I don't get the gasket, I will actually need it.

You can do the plate, but it is a little more involved. But ANY mechanic can do it, all you need is a 1/4 inch drive with a swivel attachment to reach the two lower intake nuts. There is a GREAT tutorial here, if you can't find it let me know. Just search "EGR plate cleaning".

Regards,
Jerry
Thanks... I got a new EGR gasket when I bought the valve. I even have new rings that are made out of rubber that go around the round holes in the EGR gasket. Maybe I might try to replace or clean the EGR stuff myself.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Old 05-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsfent View Post

Regards,
Jerry
Thanks Jerry! I have yet to replace the EGR valve but it looks super easy. The plate seems fairly easy as well but I have yet to find a thread that has any information on where to find the gaskets with the plate (it looks like there are a few) and what to clean the plate with. Lots of talk about not using WD-40 but someone said something about a brake cleaner but what type, etc?! Do you have any idea? Thanks in advance!
TrustN61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

TrustN61

You really don't need to replace the intake gaskets when you clean the EGR plate. They have rubber seals and reusing works fine. The brake cleaner is just any old brand. It will clean up the carbon buildup just fine.

The WD-40 is for cleaning the pot inside the EGR valve. It's wipers get dirty and don't make good connections. This requires disassembley of the EGR valve itself and is not an easy fix. I did mine, but I wouldn't recomend it to anyone who is not familiar with working on electronic components.
TPS smoothing mod
Spats cutout mod.

00 5spd 190k mi

03 HCH 5spd 145k
AClewell is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AClewell View Post
TrustN61

You really don't need to replace the intake gaskets when you clean the EGR plate. They have rubber seals and reusing works fine. The brake cleaner is just any old brand. It will clean up the carbon buildup just fine.

The WD-40 is for cleaning the pot inside the EGR valve. It's wipers get dirty and don't make good connections. This requires disassembley of the EGR valve itself and is not an easy fix. I did mine, but I wouldn't recomend it to anyone who is not familiar with working on electronic components.
Yeah, I think I'll just replace the valve. That's good to hear that I won't have to replace the gaskets. The only thing I've done is take the engine cover off and it looked difficult pulling the plate out of that area. Is there a trick to it? Just curious about any pitfalls before I start the project, etc.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Just a little tight on the bottom two nuts. 1/4" drive ratchet with an extension and swivel adapter like gsfent mentioned in previous post.
TPS smoothing mod
Spats cutout mod.

00 5spd 190k mi

03 HCH 5spd 145k
AClewell is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

I've talked to a few mechanics about replacing the EGR valve and cost, etc. They keep referring to having to clean the intake manifold of the EGR valve. Are they talking about the EGR plate I keep reading about in various threads?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.