Ima battery switch-difficult to switch - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Post Ima battery switch-difficult to switch

Just thinking what a great resource this is....THANK YOU for all the concerted effort to keep this website and community going. i am new to the Insight. i wanted to swith off the IMA pack switch, but it seems resistant to being moved. i don't want to force it and possibly break it i the process. Has anyone noticed this situtuation?? Thanks very much for any info. i love my Insight, but i am worried that i may not be driving it often enough to kee up the IMA battery health. Best regards, -john
CITRUS 95060 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 08:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CITRUS 95060 View Post
Just thinking what a great resource this is....THANK YOU for all the concerted effort to keep this website and community going. i am new to the Insight. i wanted to swith off the IMA pack switch, but it seems resistant to being moved. i don't want to force it and possibly break it i the process. Has anyone noticed this situtuation?? Thanks very much for any info. i love my Insight, but i am worried that i may not be driving it often enough to kee up the IMA battery health. Best regards, -john
You have to remove the little red cap. Just pull it straight up. Then flip the switch and replace the red cap in the opposite direction. This prevents you from inadvertently turning the switch off or on.

Sam (Another Citrus)
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
Fumoto Valve
New Mexico license plate KERS
Alpine Stereo
Rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 11:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Oh!! so that's how the switch works!!

i wish i had the mechanical & engineering abilities common with the Insight veterans, but i love the car and am determined to learn what is needed to keep her going strong. Sam, thanks so much for your help AND for spreading the Citrus Insight cheer in the Southwest. -john
Old 05-04-2012, 01:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
eq1

FYI, I recently realized that you can charge your battery by revving the engine past 3000 rpms, and hold it there. If it works like my car, then you'll get a good 10+ amp charge, which charges fairly quickly... So if you don't have time to drive it, just running it for a bit, letting it rev, would be an option. I don't think many people realize that they can do this; unless you read about it somewhere or have an external gauge, it'd be pretty hard to tell you're getting this kind of charge. I don't think the green charge bars light consistently when you're getting this charge, though I have seen them light up...
Old 05-04-2012, 09:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CITRUS 95060 View Post
i wish i had the mechanical & engineering abilities common with the Insight veterans, but i love the car and am determined to learn what is needed to keep her going strong. Sam, thanks so much for your help AND for spreading the Citrus Insight cheer in the Southwest. -john
Hey Citrus,

Please add your location to your signiture block, where at in the Southwest?
gilbertguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Smile Stored Vehicle -run >3000rpm to charge IMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq1 View Post
FYI, I recently realized that you can charge your battery by revving the engine past 3000 rpms, and hold it there. If it works like my car, then you'll get a good 10+ amp charge, which charges fairly quickly... So if you don't have time to drive it, just running it for a bit, letting it rev, would be an option. I don't think many people realize that they can do this; unless you read about it somewhere or have an external gauge, it'd be pretty hard to tell you're getting this kind of charge. I don't think the green charge bars light consistently when you're getting this charge, though I have seen them light up...
Oh, THANKS! That is great to know. i don't want to be guilty of Insight abuse(or have premature IMA battery failure). i will be sure to give it a good run at over 3000 rpm if it is not being driven for a while. Any idea how long to run it? -and how frequently? i seriously am so over my head with the tech aspects of this car that i could not make it with out the help of the Insight Central community. Best to you all. -john
Old 05-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
eq1

Hmm, I don't think the dash SoC gauge shows a loss in SoC after inactivity over relatively long periods, that is, I don't think it goes from say 19 bars down to 18. Maybe someone else can confirm or refute this. If it DID you could rev over 3000 until you got it back to 19 bars...

We can do some rough calculations. I saw my individual sticks losing about 1% per 24 hour period. Not the most precise measurements/calculations but a start. If at the start I had a fully charged battery at 6500 mAh, after a week I'd be at 6058 mAh, a loss of 442. Revving above 3000 rpms, putting out, say, a 10 amp charge, it'd take about... I think it'd be about 2 1/2 minutes to get that 442 mAh back. A charge at 442mA, or 0.442 amps, would take 1 hour. But we've got a 10,000 mA charge. I think you can just divide 10000 by 442, and then divide 60 minutes by the result (so 60 minutes / 22.6 = 2 minutes 39 seconds)... Sounds about right to me.

You could get an OBDIIC&C gauge, which shows the SoC % and amps-in and amps-out: you can see that the "amps in" number turns to zero when the charging reaches the max possible under this rev regime...

Roughly, I'd be starting my car at least once every other week and revving it above 3000 rpms for 5 minutes if I wasn't driving my car regularly...
Old 05-05-2012, 05:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

You could disconnect the negative cable of the 12 v. battery for more than 15 seconds, reconnect the cable, start the engine, and run it at 3,500 RPM until the charge level gauge reads 19 or 20 bars. By disconnecting the 12 v. battery, the charge level information is lost, so the charge level gauge would read empty even though the battery pack isn't empty. The gauge would recalibrate to full when the battery pack's voltage or, if the battery pack is significantly unbalanced, that of one of its pairs of 6-cell sticks reaches an upper limit. At that point, the battery pack is as full as the IMA system can make it, so shut off the engine.

If you don't disconnect the 12 v. battery, the charge level gauge would read too high because it doesn't measure the charge lost due to the self-discharge that naturally occurs when the battery pack isn't being used (i.e., when the car is parked). So the charge level gauge would read full before the battery pack is actually full.
Uppsala, Sweden: 2000 Insight A/C #559 with Honda security system, Genesis One MIMA+FAS and grid charger, OBDIIC&C, Rostra, Fumoto, DEFA engine block heater, Philips LED DRL's
Honolulu: 2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV
aisbell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

Default Top off IMA battery charge of stored vehicle

Art, THANKS VERY MUCH for the great information. i am trying to drive the car on a more regular basis now, but it is great to know how to maintain the pack SOC when it is parked. -MUCH to learn. best regrds, -john behrens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.