Help with IMA bypass - Page 3 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2012, 01:41 AM   #21 (permalink)

ok, thanks!

how exactly do i "disable" the BCM? do I just unplug it? do i take it out? is there a particular plug i need to pull? something else?

a walkthru of this exact process with pics would be so helpful, haha.
Past Vehicles:
'94 Geo Metro, '06 Honda CBR600f4i, '93 Mazda MX-3, '91 Honda Civic
Hopeful Future Vehicles:
Honda CBR250r, Jeep Wrangler
ikhoudvanu199 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2012, 02:36 AM   #22 (permalink)

Try this link good insight mechanic near chapel hill nc? really good pictures of what connectors to unplug. FYI GASMIZR has been running great for past 8 months now with IMA bypassed and even with A/C no problems with 12 volt system charging suffficiantly. You actually adjust to keeping RPMs under 4000 to keep brake and battery light off, actually helps mileage some but without IMA CVT is a slug from stop acceleration so leave room at busy intersections.
Ecfool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #23 (permalink)

well, i did it!

and as was stated, it was a lot easier than i thought

i was of course careful to disconnect the 12V battery and make sure the IMA switch was shut off properly.

following the 2 sets of instructions linked to in this thread proved to be perfect.

it took about an hour or so. the longest part was putting it back together, because those damn T-30 holes on the passenger side just refused to line up. i probably spent about 20 minutes fussing with those alone.

the rest went super smoothly. thank you for all your help.

fingers crossed that my drive to work tomorrow goes well!
Past Vehicles:
Hopeful Future Vehicles:
Old 06-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #24 (permalink)

Now just remember that if you rev the engine up to 4K RPM the red 12V battery light will come on indicating that the 12V system is not being charged. Don't worry, once you lower the RPM it takes about 30 seconds to reset and then the light should go back out. It is a safety built in to keep you from over charging the 12v system since the IMA battery isn't able to absorb the extra current.
gilbertguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #25 (permalink)

ok, thanks!

does it do any damage to rev above 4K on a regular basis?

i have gotten used to driving with so little power by revving high, do i need to relearn how to drive?

or is the light just a minor inconvenience?
Past Vehicles:
Hopeful Future Vehicles:
Old 06-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #26 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

No the above 4k rpm does no damage, it is just that the DC/DC converter shuts down above 4k rpm. It only lasts about 45-60 seconds, and while it is shut down the Emergency Brake light and the Battery Light both are on. It you have a way of measuring the 12 v battery it is probably a good idea to do so, just to make sure it is charged. Use a Scangauge, something that plugs into the aux power port etc.
#1 - 2000 Silver #4965, not working now, 175k Miles, 61 LMPG - will probably turn into all Electric
#2 - 2000 Silver #4095, 212k Miles, 55 LMPG, OBDIIC&C by Peter, GCIM1 by Mike, New MaxIMA by Eli
www.TucsonEV.com
Tucson AZ
Rush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #27 (permalink)

i dont own a scan guage, maybe ill get one

what is the benefit to monitoring the 12V battery? i do carry an emergency jump pack around, just in case
Past Vehicles:
Hopeful Future Vehicles:
Old 06-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #28 (permalink)

Just drive up here some saturday, and I can guide you through the process.
Mike Dabrowski 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #29 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

You really don't need to measure the 12v system. I don't use FAS to shut down and my engine and just use the key to shut it off. This also cuts the DC-DC and my 12v system doesn't drop voltage enough for me to worry about it and I'm doing it for minutes at a time, in the winter, with my headlights on. 30 seconds of the DC-DC not operating in order to accelerate when you need to is no big deal IMHO.

Keep in mind that the car sets the redline to 5500RPM, which is about 60MPH in 2nd gear instead of the usual 6300RPM to protect the system from being exposed to too high of a voltage. I don't think there is much to worry about here. Those warning lights shut off and it's all normal after the 30 seconds of time under 4000RPM. I never worried about it when I was driving with the IMA light on.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Driver View Post
You really don't need to measure the 12v system. I don't use FAS to shut down and my engine and just use the key to shut it off. This also cuts the DC-DC and my 12v system doesn't drop voltage enough for me to worry about it and I'm doing it for minutes at a time, in the winter, with my headlights on. 30 seconds of the DC-DC not operating in order to accelerate when you need to is no big deal IMHO.

Keep in mind that the car sets the redline to 5500RPM, which is about 60MPH in 2nd gear instead of the usual 6300RPM to protect the system from being exposed to too high of a voltage. I don't think there is much to worry about here. Those warning lights shut off and it's all normal after the 30 seconds of time under 4000RPM. I never worried about it when I was driving with the IMA light on.
Agreed. The 12 volt battery will support the normal loads of the car, including headlights, for at least an hour or more. 30 seconds is nothing. At this point just drive the car...
ackattacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.