Does any one have a empty IMA battery case with the electronics and cooling fan still attached cheep or free for the taking? I'm working on an idea for replacing the battery with some thing different and making it fit in the case and still mesh with the cooling, voltage converter and computer interfaces.
I'm in California, city of Sacramento. Don't want to tip my hand early (would like to see if it works before the big reveal) if everything works as I think it will, it would be a IMA replacement option that would last 1,000,000 charge & discharge cycles.
Sounds cool! I assume you're looking at li-ion/li-po batteries? Or perhaps LiFePO4?
If so, you just have to make sure they're rated for the same charge and discharge rates of the original cells. Also, I'd be afraid to have li-ions in my car; a bad enough rear-end collision could rupture the cells and cause them to catch fire/explode.
But, sounds like an interesting project, so good luck, and keep us updated!
Cycles alone is an arbitrary number. It's like stereo wattage. 1000 Watts! That will be awesome! Oh wait.. 1000W peak at 1KHz for 0.02 seconds………. and 20 watts RMS. Fail.
A typical NiMH battery might give you 500-1000 cycles at 100% Depth of Discharge(DoD) to End of Life, typically 80% of original capacity.
The same NiMH battery could give you hundreds of thousands of cycles at less than 100% DoD. This is the reason why the Honda system, for example, only uses the battery in the 20% to 80% range, representing a 60% DoD. The Prius, is even more conservative at 40%, which is probably the primary reason its batteries seem to last longer.
You could probably get 5,000,000 cycles out of one of our batteries.. If you discharged and charged it at 5 amps with a 1% overall DoD, say 90% to 91%.
Bumblebee Batteries, LLC - Helping your hybrid get from point A to point Bee!
The AutoGuide.com network consists of the largest network of enthusiast-owned enthusiast-operated automotive communities.
AutoGuide.com provides the latest car reviews, auto show coverage, new car prices, and automotive news. The AutoGuide network operates more than 100 automotive forums where our users consult peers for shopping information and advice, and share opinions as a community.