New battery, old problem - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default New battery, old problem

Just got a new battery and for the most part it's great, 19 bars most of the time. But, every once in a while, it inexplicably drops to 50% or a smidgen less. Then the regin stays on at about 4 bars and it won't go much above 6 bars even with heavy breaking. If I do a reset, after a long delay, it returns to 19 or 20 bars. If I drive for long enough it will suddenly go back to a normal 19 bars. Is there a good explanation for this?
Grzpdlr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Where did you get the battery?
Was it fully charged before installation?
After the reset, that is normal.
That is normal.

HTH
Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301K miles
Use: 343K mi. @ 58.0 LMPG

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums...d-insight.html
http://www.seattleeva.org/wiki/User:...ies_Red_Rocket
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../message/12630
Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 01:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default Battery

Don't know where the battery came from or what the state of charge was. I took it back to the guy that sold the car to me as he had guaranteed the battery. He replaced it for free but for all I know it could be just a reconditioned battery.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
eq1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzpdlr View Post
....every once in a while, it inexplicably drops to 50% or a smidgen less. Then the regin stays on at about 4 bars and it won't go much above 6 bars even with heavy breaking. If I do a reset, after a long delay, it returns to 19 or 20 bars. If I drive for long enough it will suddenly go back to a normal 19 bars. Is there a good explanation for this?
This generally sounds like a negative recal, caused by a weak battery, except for a couple small differences. The main one is that your SoC gauge is dropping only to half way rather than the 2 or 3 bars typical of the 'full-on' negative recal. Also, after a full-on negative recal, manual assist and regen are locked out while a forced-charge takes over; you say a forced charge takes over, but then you can add some regen by braking. This latter aspect tends to be normal after a full-on negative recal yet only after the HV battery has charged up some.

So, sounds like you're getting some kind of negative recal due to one or another kind of weakness of your battery... Unbalanced, one or more bad cells, maybe just overall deterioration... This would be my guess... And, by the way, just because the SoC gauge shows 19 bars most of the time doesn't suggest that the battery is 'great'; a better indicator of a decent battery is if the SoC gauge can drop low commensurate with the amount of demand on the battery (i.e. use a lot of assist, lose a lot of battery juice, gauge drops incrementally). And, if you've got only, say, 5 bars on the gauge, and you can still command a good amount of assist - that's an indicator of a good battery. With a bad battery the gauge will plummet after only losing few bars.

One more thing: there's a 'background' charge that kicks in when your HV battery reaches some kind of low threshold; mine seems to kick in around <65% SoC. This charge doesn't show up on the in-dash chrg gauge. It tends to be around 10 amps or less, depending on the engine load due to driving conditions and circumstances. You can still command assist and regen, but the charge will kick back in once you're cruising again. It will last until the SoC reaches some threshold; mine seems to be 70% SoC...

Last edited by eq1; 12-15-2012 at 08:33 AM.
eq1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 11:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default Bcm

Looks like it's going to turn out to be a faulty Battery Control Unit, does anyone know if the part number for a 2000 is 1K100-PHM-010, 1K100-PHM-020, or 1K100-PHM-030?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.