p1443 need advise - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default p1443 need advise

So... I had my IMA battery replace just shy of a year ago. Everything has been peachy up until this week. Car sat for a little over a week without being driven much, I did take it for a short spin on the third day, knowing that not driving an Insight is bad for the IMA battery. Had no issues on the short drive no cel\ima lights no problems ran great. 5 days later, proceeded back to normal driving and the IMA light came on after first trip. I have reset the system twice and have received the same p1443 (blink code 46) immediately after the first cycle of driving.
I have read the p1443 is possibly due to imbalanced charge or crappy rebuilt cells used to replace battery packs or a possibly bad DC converter.
Here is the question, does Dealer ship have a way to balance the Cells\ prove the battery (that is still under warranty for a 20 days) isn't the problem or should I assume that's not it and start figuring out if the DC converter is bad?
Downside is my Insight is a 2000 with just over 200,000 miles on it, I am afraid it maybe time to call it, the car seems to be becoming a money pit.

Thanks in advance, Mike
PS> NO, I don't have a grid charger
SilverSurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

That code, from the service manual, is "High voltage contactor/bypass contactor stays active." I'm certain that someone will speak up if I'm wrong, but I think the contactor board changes when the battery is dealer changed. If so, you are owed a diagnostic at least. See them asap.

If it is to be your nickel, then download page 12-33 of the service manual from the sticky thread here on IC. There are some fairly simple diagnostic steps that might help. Most of the diagnostics get complicated quickly, but you might find some help there. Many of the test procedures involve removing the IMA battery lid, or even the battery itself.

If you decide to give up on it, put it in the for sale section here on IC. One of our more talented mechanics in your area would probably give you lots more than a salvage yard. these things are beginning to have value as fixer uppers or parts cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer2 View Post
So... I had my IMA battery replace just shy of a year ago. Everything has been peachy up until this week. Car sat for a little over a week without being driven much, I did take it for a short spin on the third day, knowing that not driving an Insight is bad for the IMA battery. Had no issues on the short drive no cel\ima lights no problems ran great. 5 days later, proceeded back to normal driving and the IMA light came on after first trip. I have reset the system twice and have received the same p1443 (blink code 46) immediately after the first cycle of driving.
I have read the p1443 is possibly due to imbalanced charge or crappy rebuilt cells used to replace battery packs or a possibly bad DC converter.
Here is the question, does Dealer ship have a way to balance the Cells\ prove the battery (that is still under warranty for a 20 days) isn't the problem or should I assume that's not it and start figuring out if the DC converter is bad?
Downside is my Insight is a 2000 with just over 200,000 miles on it, I am afraid it maybe time to call it, the car seems to be becoming a money pit.

Thanks in advance, Mike

Last edited by jime; 12-29-2012 at 09:42 PM.
jime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm not at home and I don't remember exactly, but I think it's you HV contractor, like Jime says. This is not a disaster. It is a relay, and sometimes they break. Yours has stuck on. This means that your battery is live all the time (unless you turn off the switch). This is a safety issue and should be fixed.

It is fairly easy to replace, but the battery has to come out of the car to do it. Bumblebee Batteries may have the part, and I know that MileHybrid has them. It's a cheap part. I can help guide you in the replacement.

Quote:

Thanks in advance, Mike
2000 MT #4227 175K miles - Citrus Yellow, BetterBattery
Hybrid-Battery-Repair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 11:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

I love this forum you guys are the best . I will have to look at the service manual (should have done that before the post, sorry that was lazy of me) and the price for the parts. I am decently handy so i don't mind tinkering with it, it's the amps that give me the jitters. Would the repair involve live power considering it's on the HV side of things? Should I be flipping the ima off each night for saftey?

Thanks again for all your help, I really appreciate it.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

After further review of the receipt it does indeed say the "ima battery assembly" so I will be contacting the dealer asap. I will update my progress, unfortunately that will probably be sometime in the new year.

Thanks again, Mike
Old 12-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

If it's under warranty, heck yeah. If it's not, then the part will be something like $20 used plus sweat equity to put it in.

Quote:
After further review of the receipt it does indeed say the "ima battery assembly" so I will be contacting the dealer asap. I will update my progress, unfortunately that will probably be sometime in the new year.

Thanks again, Mike
2000 MT #4227 175K miles - Citrus Yellow, BetterBattery
Hybrid-Battery-Repair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

UPDATE!!!!!
I happy to announce that the junction board was the issue and i was lucky enough to have the part replaced under warranty. I did have a preemptive conversation with the service manager before taking it in to verify the likely hood of it being the junction board and he agreed. ---JUST AS FOREWARNING --- I am not sure if this is true or not but I was told they DO NOT replace the junction board anymore when replacing the IMA Battery Assembly. The tech himself called me to tell me the new part was 2 grand, but after I told him about my conversation with the service manager he verified and agreed mine was indeed replaced and still under warranty.

Thanks again for the advise. You guys saved me a lot of time, money and heartache.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
eq1

Wow, $2000 for the junction board?? If you added up the cost for all the parts that go into the Insight it'd be like well over $100k...
Old 07-06-2014, 12:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid-Battery-Repair View Post
I'm not at home and I don't remember exactly, but I think it's you HV contractor, like Jime says. This is not a disaster. It is a relay, and sometimes they break. Yours has stuck on. This means that your battery is live all the time (unless you turn off the switch). This is a safety issue and should be fixed.

It is fairly easy to replace, but the battery has to come out of the car to do it. Bumblebee Batteries may have the part, and I know that MileHybrid has them. It's a cheap part. I can help guide you in the replacement.
hello -

my 2001 CVT has the p1443 code, looking for information about the part and how to replace the HV contactor. Tried looking for part on MajesticHonda but couldn't tell for sure.

The IMA light is always on, I've tried grid charging numerous times. On occasion, the system needs resetting (pulling the fuse), but the vehicle operates fine otherwise.

Thanks
pbui19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2014, 02:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
eq1

You may not be able to buy that separately, not sure, it's a part on the junction board. Check out the service manual pdfs linked in a sticky at the top of one of these sub-forums, the part is in diagrams on pages 40 and 41 (among others) in the "ima_swystem.pdf"...
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.