Odd behavior today - Page 2 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 01:59 AM   #11 (permalink)

lol! well, there goes a theory i had..(was hoping u had the new one)
2000 #1007 orig owner
mt/ac,
First insight to twist the camshaft
biododge1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 02:27 AM   #12 (permalink)
eq1

One thing that's sort of stewing in my brain, is the way voltage for NiMH batteries behaves. As most people say, voltage (perhaps resting voltage only) doesn't really tell you much about the state of charge for NiMH batteries. That's starting to gel. Like, for instance, you can tell the SoC for lead acid by the terminal voltage only. In contrast, 'terminal' voltage for a NiMH pack can be the same whether you have a 75% SoC or 100% SoC pack, at least that's what I'm seeing...

I think SoC for NiMH is only revealed by changes in voltage under load (or temperature)... I don't really see much difference in resting pack voltage after a grid charge versus just normal day to day conditions. If anything it's a bit lower now. But I think the way voltage changes under load now, charge and discharge, might be a little different...
Old 01-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

Larry,

I can not really help you that much.

I have MIMA, so background charging is out of the equation.

Also have the fan wired to run on low at all times, unless the batt temp goes up.

As Eq1 mentioned, static battery voltage tells nothing. I can see 160volts when initially turning on the ignition switch but not starting the motor. Then it drops to 154 volts after the motor is started. This is entirely due to a "leaky" replacement stick that I got from Eli, and it self discharges higher than any of the stock sticks. Of course I did not check this adequately enough before putting it in the car! Chalk it up to experience!

Jim.
3-Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
eq1

Here's another weird behavior I saw today. As I might have mentioned, I usually get a background charge of about 5-10 amps just under 65% SoC. And I have a positive recal threshold/checkpoint at 72%, which I believe is fairly typical. Now, if I drop below 65%, I'll get the background charge and it will take SoC up to 70.2% and stop. Today, I dropped below 65%, background charge kicked in, and it took it up to 70.2% - BUT it also positively recal-ed up to 75%. Like yesterday's musing, this I've never seen before, ever. Over my travels today I lost precisely 2% capacity (yesterday I lost 5%)... And, the really weird thing is my pack voltage was quite lower than it normally is when it does a positive recal; it was only about 164, rather than the usual 168-169V...

True, I get the 'forced charge' after a negative recal and the pack seems to positively recal not at 72%, but at 60% and/or at a particular number of net amp-hours (it seems to put back in exactly enough to get the pack up to 6500 mAh, from the point at which it negatively recals. For example, if you negatively recal at 50% SoC, the car assumes or calculates that you have 3250 mAh in the pack and then puts back in another 3250). But, negative recal and forced charge is a different routine than just a typical background charge...

So... I don't know, grid charging does seem to do something to the pack beyond what the car can do alone; grid charging produces some seemingly anomalous battery management behavior. I just can't really see what the car is thinking when it decides the pack is at a particular SoC, when it decides the pack is at 75% SoC. Maybe it's the 164V mark: if the battery sits at at least 164 volts for a period of time the car believes the battery is at 75% SoC. Usually I'll get a pos recal at 72% when the car takes the voltage up to 168-169, yet it usually quickly drops to about 164-165... And yet, there doesn't seem to be much difference in pack voltage whether the battery is fully charged 100% or what the car believes to be 75%. So there's a little more to it... Pretty sure it's gotta be the rate of change in voltage under various loads, and/or something similar... Rate of change in temperature at the 4 thermistors might play a role... Just not something that can be easily spotted when all I have is pack temperature...
Old 01-05-2013, 12:55 AM   #15 (permalink)

With today being the third day in a row for the fan and 10-12 amp background charge and what Eli said about the 32F threshold for the pack, everything is actually normal. I don't like it at all. It was colder (18F) on my way to work and with all my coasting/gliding done with the engine running, I got 76 mpg. With the background charging, I struggled to even get 60 mpg on the way home. I wonder how many solar panels it would take to trickle charge the pack enough to warm it to over 32F?
Calpod switch
Warm air mod
Grill block
EPS fuse removed
FAS/fuel injector interrupt circuit
grid charger
OBDII C&C gauge
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 02:16 AM   #16 (permalink)
eq1

I guess your calpod switch doesn't disable this background charge? Mine does for the 'normal' ones... I wish there was a way to just disable background charging altogether; it doesn't make sense for people who pay close attention to their Insight driving...
Old 01-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #17 (permalink)

It has been so cold lately that I'm even having the background charging on the way to work as well as on the way home; single digits. I noticed some interesting things today. When I first start off, I get 8-12A of charge and regen goes up to the 25A range. This afternoon, it got to where I was seeing 2-5A and, while regening, I was seeing the usual 4 or 5 green bars, but still only seeing about a 5A max going into the pack. It took all but about the last 1/2 mile of my 12 mile trip home before the background charge went away. I have a question for Eli and/or Peter: How high can the pack voltage go before I should get concerned? I was seeing a steady 180-181V and it would sink to around 175V after a run up through the gears after using assist when taking off from stops, then it would slowly climb back into the 180 range. I've seen it go as high as 183V.
EDIT: I'm running currently the 010 BCM.
Calpod switch
Warm air mod
Grill block
EPS fuse removed
grid charger
OBDII C&C gauge
Old 01-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #18 (permalink)

dialar;
Because you are in such cold weather, You have to realize the IMA sysytem is basically overcharging the batterys to get their temperature up in the "operating" range.
You might see 180V volts briefly but I don't think constantly.
Peter of Eli will explain more technical aspects.

HTH
Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301K miles
Use: 343K mi. @ 58.0 LMPG

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums...d-insight.html
http://www.seattleeva.org/wiki/User:...ies_Red_Rocket
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../message/12630
Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #19 (permalink)
Eli

Send a message via AIM to Eli Send a message via MSN to Eli

I think the worry surrounding the original BCM and cold weather is more cyclical in nature. A little bit of overcharge, as we know, is good. Too much will wear the battery prematurely though.

You might want to look for an 020 BCM to see how the behavior changes, though I imagine by the time you found something and got it installed the weather will have changed.

To answer your question, 180V is fine at low currents and cold temperatures and doesn't represent an overcharge situation. Would need more like 184-186V for that.

The maximum the car will allow is 192V.

Home of the MAXIMA performance IMA battery.

503-730-8786
eli@bumblebeebatteries.com
Bumblebee Batteries, LLC

Bumblebee Hybrid Fleet:
2000 MT Insight @ 250k; 2001 MT Insight @ 475k; 2001 MT Insight @ 160k; 2001 MT Insight @ 201k; 2003 MT HCH @ 160k; 2006 CVT HCH2 @ 205k; 2007 CVT FEH @ 210k.
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #20 (permalink)

Ha! Yeah, it'll be awhile before I get my hands on an 020. I was just on Ebay and there is only 1 020 and they want $220 for it.
Calpod switch
Warm air mod
Grill block
EPS fuse removed
grid charger
OBDII C&C gauge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.