Help with Super Brain 989 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 11:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help with Super Brain 989

Been reading up alot on this forum, and I am getting ready to recondition an IMA pack with a Super Brain 989. I have two complete used packs I bought and have them taken down to removing the sticks. I purchased a used SB 989 on Ebay, just received it today. Does battery need to be connected to charger before I enter the settings? I am asking because I power up the SB 989 and it will briefly show a full normal display and then give me ERR and flashing BATT in top right corner. I am unable to enter any settings. Did I get a bad charger?
dvirgo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 02:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
eq1

No, you shouldn't have to hook up the battery in order to enter settings, at least, I don't have to with mine. Glancing through the sparse manual, I only see one entry that has some relevance:

"If the screen displays "Err b h" or "Err b l" it means that the settings you have entered are incorrect. "Err" stands for Error, "b h" stands for battery voltage is too high and "b l" stands for battery voltage is too low. Make sure you have the correct cell count entered as well as the correct battery type. If "Err b r" is displayed it indicates wrong polarity of the battery."

Since you haven't hooked up the battery yet none of this would seem to apply. The only thing I can think of is that the charger has its own internal battery - it must since it remembers settings. Maybe that's discharged? Maybe they have a website to explore; here's an email address from the back of my manual:
mrcsupport@modelrectifier.com

Here's a link to their website, the SB989 page with a pdf manual:
http://www.modelrec.com/search/product-view.asp?ID=6863

Last edited by eq1; 01-05-2013 at 02:36 AM.
eq1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for reply. Yes it came with manual that I read completely. this is not a voltage or setting error, it seems to be a general error of charger itself. I am pretty sure I got the shaft on this charger, and seller is saying it worked fine and he is sorry "I can't figure it out"!
Old 01-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvirgo View Post
Thanks for reply. Yes it came with manual that I read completely. this is not a voltage or setting error, it seems to be a general error of charger itself. I am pretty sure I got the shaft on this charger, and seller is saying it worked fine and he is sorry "I can't figure it out"!
If you bought it on eBay, report it to eBay as "not as advertized." In about a month they will get your money back to you. Ask the seller to refund all your shipping costs.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

+1 I was almost burned once by an ebay seller, but I got my revenge after a dispute was unsuccessful.

I purchased a few items the cheapest the guy sold and kept giving him bad feed back. He promptly refunded my money.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply's guys. I have been an Ebayer for 12 years now, and most often things go smooth, buyers and sellers are honest. I guess I will wait to see if seller will reply back to me and make good on the deal or I will file claim. Bummed because I've done so much research and was ready to start cycling sticks! Anyone out there have a functional SB 989 they are interested in selling?
Old 01-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
eq1

I'd first see if it has a battery that needs replacing...
Old 01-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Owners manual makes no mention of a battery in the charger. It does state warranty void if case is opened, so I assume no battery. Of course I don't have a warranty either being a used charger.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq1 View Post
I'd first see if it has a battery that needs replacing...
If it does have a battery, and that is a good bet, you might actually recharge it by just leaving the power on for a couple of hours. Then power down and power up. May as well try that while you are waiting for eBay resolution. Might work

Last edited by jime; 01-05-2013 at 06:34 PM.
jime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

With the titan b6 imax hobby chargers from China it was common to get connection break errors for no reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.