Originally Posted by markadams
Just for kicks I hooked my DVM to the battery and my large lead acid charger (set on 10 amps) to a stick. Zapped it for about 30 seconds and now its reading 8.3 volts. Actually felt some heat after removing the charger. Just a little over room temp.
Is that all it takes to charge these?
And thank you to everyone contributing to this thread!
I think you're asking for trouble, while attempting to charge a stick that way.
My bench top power supply was set to:
175/20 = 8.79 volts
The charge on a depleted stick would start off at 10 amps, then slowly taper off as it fully charged.
I typically would let the stick charge to 8.5 volts, remove the power supply and let it settle for one minute, then apply the discharge resistor to it, and monitor voltage drop over time with a stopwatch and paper.
The next time I do this, I'll have a PIC measure each cell for performance, and feed that data to an old laptop for recording.