no cabin heat - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 01:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default no cabin heat

I'm not getting any cabin heat in my 2000 Insight. 3 weeks ago the heat disappeared for 10 minutes during a long drive but then came back on for the rest of the trip. After that the heat disappeared for longer and longer periods until now there's no heat at all. I've replaced the thermostat, done the burp procedure very carefully, checked the valve to the heater core (it works fine) and back flushed the heater core (there was no sign that the core had been clogged). The little motor that opens the valve to the heater core works fine--I can see it moving--and the blower works fine, just no heat. At this point I can't think of anything else I can do short of removing the heater core unit, which obviously I want to avoid since it involves first removing the dash. Am I missing anything? Is there anything else I can try before removing the heater core? Thank you for your time and your suggestions.
Stuart Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
and Sid the dog

Hi Stuart.

I started a thread here with a similar issue recently, reporting no cabin or screen heat for the first 9 miles on a cold day, and then experienced a serious over-heating incident on the next drive. The car is now off the road with a diagnosed head gasket failure and blocked radiator. In my opinion your concern is sensible.

It's been difficult to establish exactly what exactly happened to our 2000 car, but the best ideas from the guys at the Honda garage and the mechanic who recovered the car are:

1. Poor coolant condition allowed partial freezing and head gasket damage, leading to loss of coolant into engine and drop in coolant level, leading to thermostat and cabin/screen heater problems. Radiator also end of life.
2. Blocked radiator in cold weather preventing circulation, leading to thermostat and cabin/screen heater not operating (when cold) followed by localized boiling and head gasket failure (when hot).

So I suggest checking the coolant level/condition. If it is low (and no leaks) then you might have #1. If you get the radiator checked/flushed then you can rule out #2. In our case the heater and water pump are thought to be working fine.

Hope that gives you some more ideas!
Citrus 2000 MT UK spec 140k miles VIN#000032
Michelin Energy Saver plus (latest EU ratings), Noisy gearbox
Best 11 miles @ 115.1mpg

Last edited by UK_MJN; 01-28-2013 at 09:03 AM.
UK_MJN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 09:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

Check for the coolant valve. I am pretty sure it is sticking. Maybe the lever is broken and the valve itself does not move?

Did you check if the heater hoses get hot?

Last edited by talonmike; 01-28-2013 at 12:17 PM.
talonmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 10:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the suggestions. I did check the valve where the coolant enters the heater core, and also the coolant and cooling system condition generally. The cooling system was just serviced last summer and new coolant added. It's all in good condition. The cabin heat occasionally comes back for a few minutes--never very warm though--but then disappears again. I thought everything pointed to a blocked heater core, but that wasn't the case. If anyone else has any ideas I'll be grateful for them. Thanks
Stuart Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 11:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

I just went through this 2 times this year.... both times after a long road trip

First time the thermostat was fubared after 1 year being replaced.

Second time I went from 90 to 70 cuz the gf was to hot, when she said she was cold, I turned it back to 90 and it stayed cold....

After 45 minutes I got it home, started messing around, the valve before the heater core was stuck closed, eve with thermo on 90*. I manually opened the valve( was tough) and i got my heat back instantly.

You could also have air in the heater core still. After I did my thermostate, I drove around a day and lost heat again and car got hot, right after running it hard on the highway. I burped it/ refilled and was fine, just a idea.

96 Civic H22 Borg
90 Mustang
94 mustang
92 SVX
BOMBCRU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 11:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Dalton View Post
I thought everything pointed to a blocked heater core, but that wasn't the case. If anyone else has any ideas I'll be grateful for them. Thanks
Could be a block of air in the coolant system. When the coolant was added likely via the radiator cap at a change, was the air purged from the system?

Since the rad cap's lower than the highest point of the Insight's coolant system, air purging is required after a change; topping up the coolant system afterwards should be accomplished via the overflow container, where the level is checked.
Engine P-Codes Diagnostics etc Google Spreadsheet

AbCaRed00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 12:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

When changing coolant always "burp" the engine with the heater on and the temp. set at the highest setting with the fan on high.

Just a reminder.
HTH
Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301K miles
Use: 346K mi. @ 58.0 LMPG

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums...d-insight.html
http://www.seattleeva.org/wiki/User:...ies_Red_Rocket
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../message/12630
Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 05:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm having a very similar issue that just arose on my '03 w/ only 45K miles. When engine temp gauge peaked, i popped the hood & engine did not seem overly warm or over heating?
edrocket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 05:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Need more info....... Overflow bottle full/empty, Hoses have pressure on them, Heater working, radiator fluid level, etc. etc.?

Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301K miles
Use: 346K mi. @ 58.0 LMPG

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums...d-insight.html
http://www.seattleeva.org/wiki/User:...ies_Red_Rocket
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../message/12630
Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 05:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'll check those this evening & report.
edrocket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cabin heat, heater core

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.