Wet Seatbelt - Page 16 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #151 (permalink)

Tim,
It was my pleasure to help you out today. "See one, do one, teach one" is the motto in Navy medicine... and holds true for Insights.

Let hope the new clips and new silicone keep it dry for your daughter.

Thanks for showing me the grid chargers and the OBDII box ... great stuff!

/R
Doc Rings
Docrings is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #152 (permalink)

I too have experienced the same problem but could never get it resolved completely from the dealer. Probably the best option is to wait it out for a few days.
lucky76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 04:17 PM   #153 (permalink)

Did you guys have your windshield replaced?

The A pillar terminates above the doors.

There are lots of little clips that will crack when the pillar is removed. Here is another place where water can seep back into the cabin. It'll wet the seatbelt and corrode the retractor which may fail and not lock up during a panic brake situation.

My insurance company set me up with a windshield company that didn't head my warning. When they showed the retainer clips shattered from the jerk jerking it apart. They quickly stopped and ordered everything related and some extras.
2000 Insight L3 #5488 AC MT
BRSHLSS
291K Miles
Best Tank 875
Best1Way 119.1
BumbleBee Battery
Amsoil 0W30 Oil
Amsoil MT Trans Oil
New Suspension & Arms
New Cats
webskipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #154 (permalink)

I've been reading about "molding", "clips", "strips" & "trim" "a, b, &c pillars" are all confusing me like another language. I've gotten the piece(trim?) off that runs from the top of what I would call the seatbelt pillar(A pillar?) cuz it runs up and down outside where the seatbelt bolt is, and it's clips, from Jeff's write up, but now there is another piece that runs over top the windowuploadfromtaptalk1353422935556.jpg which is what I believe you guys are talking about but I just wanted to confirm this, and that I absolutely have to replace these "clips" under this piece because they necessarily break, right? And why break it with that paint tool? Is pulling it incrementally along it's edge not a good way? Thanks guys

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Last edited by juntjoo; 11-20-2012 at 10:00 AM.
juntjoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #155 (permalink)

Default Would not recommend pulling molding

Quote:
Originally Posted by juntjoo View Post
I've been reading about "molding", "clips", "strips" & "trim" "a, b, &c pillars" are all confusing me like another language. I've gotten the piece(trim?) off that runs from the top of what I would call the seatbelt pillar(A pillar?) cuz it runs up and down outside where the seatbelt bolt is, and it's clips, from Jeff's write up, but now there is another piece that runs over top the windowAttachment 3931 which is what I believe you guys are talking about but I just wanted to confirm this, and that I absolutely have to replace these "clips" under this piece because they necessarily break, right? And why break it with that paint tool? Is pulling it incrementally along it's edge not a good way? Thanks guys
Choice is kind of simple. Break the clips or break the moulding. I will choose breaking the one-way clips any day. Occasionally the clips are rotten enough you can get away with pulling the molding up, but in many cases you will break the clip mounts in the molding before you break the clips.

Is water leaking in to your car now? If not, I would leave it be. The clips are about $80 for one car's worth. You have to get the (I think it is either seven or eight for each side) most common clips. The most expensive one on each side seems to be ok, and not break (both of mine were ok). The ones at the very bottom of the windshield are also ok, but one of mine was simply missing, so I am glad I bought them. Make sure you use sealer on all the clips when you install them.

Just my 0.02 worth,
Tim Glover

Last edited by TopFuelTim; 11-20-2012 at 12:22 PM. Reason: can't spell
TopFuelTim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #156 (permalink)

$80? I'd that from Honda? Had anyone found some generic clips or other solutions?

As far as why I'm removing this part is to get to the rest of the seam that runs to the hatch that I'm re-sealing.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:14 PM   #157 (permalink)

Default They are Honda clips

Hi,

You are correct about the clips being from Honda. Kind of expensive, but I am not familiar with generic clips, and doubt that they would seal water out very well if there were any that would fit.

It becomes a lot clearer how everything works together after you remove a molding. Ask me how I know about breaking the clip mounts on the molding .

I'll always break the clips anytime I have to remove a molding from now on. I have only done my daughter's CVT so far (thank you again to Docrings for all your help), and the person who worked on her car before I got it made it look like a ham-handed butcher did the job. Fortunately they caught on to how to remove the moldings before they damaged too much. Unfortunately, they tried to cobble it back together, so it leaked water.

Tim
TopFuelTim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 10:41 PM   #158 (permalink)
Lean Burn = Happiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by juntjoo View Post
As far as why I'm removing this part is to get to the rest of the seam that runs to the hatch that I'm re-sealing.
I'm going to try to re-seal one Friday without removing the exterior trim. I think it should work. I'll try to snap a couple pics to prove it can be done
Current score: Bought/Selling/Sold/Dismantled nine silvers, two blues, and a Citrus beauty to keep for myself.
jeff652 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 12:29 AM   #159 (permalink)

Thanks Jeff. I'll keep tuned.

Jeff, I should ask, do you think it's absolutely necessary to go that far into the front of the seam even though my leak is only at the hatch? Common sense tells me I should re-seal it all the way to that hole you discovered, tho I'm not sure I have any holes up there since as I mentioned mine only leaks at the hatch. maybe it's just something I might have to do again in the future, or not in which case $80 on new clips would be a waste. hmm...

Last edited by juntjoo; 11-21-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #160 (permalink)

When my seat belt gets wet it smells like cat pee so maybe a cat was on my car at some point and did its thing.
kosmoscanyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.