Honda Insight Forum banner

Tire problems-cracks in tread!

11K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Resist 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone else had this, my search did not find it. At 7456 miles, I did my first service (I have been an aircraft mechanic my whole life, not afraid of an insight) and after changing the oil, was ready to rotate the tires. I noticed the front tires had cracks between the treads, very similar to dry rot cracks on 20 year old tires. This is a 7456 mile pampered car with EXACT tire pressures. I am taking it to a bridgestone dealer tomorrow. I would LOVE to find a better quality tire, improving the tendancy to resist every crack in the road. I do not mind the economy comprimise, but would trade 5 mpg for not fighting the wheel in bad roads. If anyone had this, or has tire replacements that do NOT affect the MPG sensors, let me know. :?:

#2 ·
Re: Tire problems-cracks in tread!!

speed said:
....I have been an aircraft mechanic my whole life, not afraid of an insight) and after changing the oil, was ready to rotate the tires. I noticed the front tires had cracks between the treads, very similar to dry rot cracks on 20 year old tires.
Hello speed,
Is your Insight always parked outside ? As I can see yours from 2001, it is not verry strange to see tires already getting cracks if parked outside. BTW we can shake hands, you are an aircraft mechanic, well....I am a aircraft ground engineer and I've seen many times new tires (on planes, Bridgestones as well) which were having cracks between the treads. If your Insight is always parked inside a garage, your tires should'nt crack that fast. I hope you can get new for free !! Of the record, what types of a/c you worked on ?

Good luck

#3 ·
[Duplicate posts removed by moderator.]

Windmill, I removed your like 8 duplicate posts. I'm getting the same error message, which I'm sure is being worked on. For now just click back after you get the error message and your post should be here.

Anyways, I recently had my tires replaced at ~26,000 miles. They were starting to get fairly weather cracked themselves. Nothing too severe, but that was part of the decision to replace them. My car lives outside, and they went through at least 2.5 Phoenix summers, so that might have been part of it. I'm also thinking 50psi isn't helping either. Still no big deal because the car rides so much better on fresh rubber anyways, but they deffinitely should go much longer than 7,000 miles!

#4 ·
Hi,

The craks are not related to mileage. It is the time they where created. Even if they have only 7000 miles, they might have been made in the year 2000 so they might be 5 years old. The time is the factor here. Air (oxygen) affects the rubber with time (if I remember something from my chemistry courses, similar to rust on steel or was it the UV)

#5 ·
Like wrinkles on someone's face, cracks like you describe only indicate one thing, some age. If you play the game like 7 dog years =1 human year then 20 tire years = 1 human year.

Cracks of this degree are normal and do not indicate a pending failure. But I am writing this essentially blindfolded so you better have it checked face to face. Just don't be surprised if your told not to worry.

As far as alternative tires search the postings here, there are options with only a 5-8 MPG average penality. While I have not seen it reported in an Insight group "regular" tires that have a pressure rating of 44 psi as molded in the sidewall may be a better option. You can safely run this tire at a higher pressure and theoretically have lower rolling resistance.

HTH! :)

#6 ·
I noticed cracks when my original tires hit 40k miles. I just hit 80k miles with the same stock tires.

So if you stop hearing from me it's safe to assume one of them blew on the freeway and sent me careening into a tractor trailer:)

Seriously, at 50psi these tires will last forever- although i'd recommend changing them at 50k miles. I've forgotten what it's like to drive with treads.

btw, my car lives outside too.

-Bob

#7 ·
My 3 year old, 2001 CVT only has 13,000 miles and my tire sidewalls on all 4 tires have cracks. I'm very upset over this because now I wonder how safe they are. I keep my car in very clean condition and don't abuse it. I assume they are no longer covered under the tire warranty. The tread is great and I hadn't planned on buying tires already.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.