Fixing a "crease" in the door panel? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2005, 10:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fixing a "crease" in the door panel?

Me and my car had a bad day today. It started off with filling up for $2.79/gal and ended with getting a 3 inch long dent/crease in my passenger door. (I paid $0.24 less per gallon last week and techincally the day has since ended with me breaking off one of the speaker wire connectors while checking the inside of the door panel.)

The crease looks the same as if you run your fingernail down the side of a soda can, just on a bigger scale. The culprit was most likely a plastic shopping cart as it is horizontal, didn't scratch the paint, and had some plastic left in the center.

Does anyone know if there's a way to fix a dent of this nature? Or at least make it less noticable (i.e. less of a crease)? Unfortunately it is located near the rear end of the door and with the inner panell off I can just feal the crease, but there wouldn't be much room to work with from the inside.
Recycled 2002 5 Speed Silverstone Metallic #418 "TO2RO"
dazey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2005, 10:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

There are dent repair (fix-a-dent) shops around that specialize in paintless dent repair.

I recently had a Acura TL with three small dents worked on, with excellent results.

I would inform anyone that works on the crease that they are working with aluminum, just to be safe.

Regards,
Old 04-20-2005, 02:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Rick

Deffinitely Dent Wizard or another paintless dent repair place/service.
92 Saturn SC2 Electric, Arizona Alt fuel plate "ZEROGAS"
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2005, 01:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Make sure they understand it's aluminum...
Dougie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2005, 09:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies. I found a guy who does dent repairs for many of the local dealerships. He also does private work and had worked on aluminum before. He managed to take out the dent almost entirely, there are just a few slight distortions in the surface but you have to look for them. It cost $125 which seemed a bit high, but then again aluminum doesn't just pop back like other metals. At least now I don't have that burning hatred of shopping carts every time I look at the door (but I have gone back to parking further away from entrances and more towards the higher spots in parking lots.)

I completely forgot to take pictues of the dent before, may take one of the area now if anyone is interested.
Recycled 2002 5 Speed Silverstone Metallic #418 "TO2RO"
dazey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.