IMA On, No Auto-Stop, No Charge, No Assist - Page 2 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2016, 04:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
eq1

"Longer plates" doesn't mean more material. It's simply one of the ways to lower resistance (it lowers "current density", one component of 'IR')... The reason I say they probably have less is mainly because I've discharged aftermarket cells and the most I ever discharged was 6200mAh, more typical was 5800...

Last edited by eq1; 10-31-2016 at 04:32 AM.
eq1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2016, 10:36 AM   #12 (permalink)

Just wanted to post a follow-up to my pursuit.

I contacted BumbleBee Batteries in Gresham (Portland), OR. Their new batteries currently list for $2,095 (plus $500 core charge, if applicable). By appointment only, BumbleBee will replace the IMA battery in Gen1 Insights for a flat rate of $300. Given that I am less than 200 miles away from Portland, the $300 installation fee is more than fair, especially since there is no sales tax in Oregon. The sales tax savings alone (no core charge required), nearly $250 in my case, will cover the fuel costs and motel room for a night required for making the trip!

-Dave
MetrosMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2016, 11:08 AM   #13 (permalink)

Pretty much a no-brainer. You avoid the core charge, you save the sales tax, and you don't pay for shipping. And you aren't stuck with a crappy Honda battery.

"While you're in there" I recommend installing a grid charger harness. A mild grid charging routine will keep the new battery balanced. I charge mine every 6 months or so.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
Rainsux is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 01:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Keith View Post
Again, have you tried to order it? I have never heard of someone successfully placing an order online. A few have tried, but they fail either due to refusal to ship or some other "policy" that is outside the norm. Some have said they can only ship to dealers.

Furthermore, there is still ambiguity concerning if Honda packs are made with new cells or are reconditions.

I encourage you to call them or do live chat and confirm:

1) Warranty and how you utilize the warranty.
2) Actual cost to get it to you.
3) New or reconditioned cells.
4) What Honda has done to improve the horrible quality of their battery packs since those made for the 06-11 model years?

Even better, use Majestic as they are a preferred online part source:

Honda Automotive Parts

$1320.45 + $500 core charge + much lower shipping. For me, it's $1,866.75 OTD INCLUDING core charge.

EDIT: to be clear, I wouldn't consider purchasing even for that price unless #3 is "New" and #4 was adequately addressed.
I decided to check for myself. Here is Majestic's response:

"Sorry we do not ship ima battery."

So that seemingly amazing price is completely and totally meaningless.
'05 G1 CVT w/192K mi as of 7/2016; '02 G1 CVT w/182K mi as of 7/2016 (P1449 HR pack); '06 HCH2 #1 w/145K mi as of 7/2016 (SOLD!), '06 HCH2 #2 w/223k mi as of 2/2016 (SOLD!); '03 Prius w/166K mi - Pack rebuilt with Gen2 modules; '08 Prius w/135k mi as of 7/2016; '07 Prius w/185k mi as of 7/2016

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2016, 02:18 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thanks for checking on that, S Keith!

I've pretty much decided I'm going to get the car down to Portland somehow and have BumbleBee install a new battery of their manufacture. Like Sam stated, "Pretty much a no-brainer."

Thanks again to all!

-Dave
Old 02-16-2017, 05:26 PM   #16 (permalink)

It's been three months or so since I first had the IMA/Check Engine lights illuminated. After 'resuscitating' the battery a couple times, it is now dead for good. When I start the car now, it is via the 12 V battery, sounding like a Model T. As I mentioned previously, it is my intent to drive the car to Portland (~200 miles) to Bumble Bee for battery replacement. I've seen much on both sides of the discussion on the web, but would like to know from someone 'in the know' in this forum if driving that far with a bad IMA will otherwise damage the car? Thanks!

-Dave
Old 02-16-2017, 06:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Your only major issue is if the 12V is still charging.

If the 12V light is off most of the time, and you put one of these in your power port to monitor your 12V:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can't imagine you'll have any troubles.

Steve
'05 G1 CVT w/192K mi as of 7/2016; '02 G1 CVT w/182K mi as of 7/2016 (P1449 HR pack); '06 HCH2 #1 w/145K mi as of 7/2016 (SOLD!), '06 HCH2 #2 w/223k mi as of 2/2016 (SOLD!); '03 Prius w/166K mi - Pack rebuilt with Gen2 modules; '08 Prius w/135k mi as of 7/2016; '07 Prius w/185k mi as of 7/2016

S Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2017, 12:16 PM   #18 (permalink)

Thanks, Steve!

-Dave
Old Yesterday, 07:40 AM   #19 (permalink)

Sam already suggested grid charging in his first response, and it appeared you had already made up your mind to replace the battery. But since it's been several months and you continued to limp along on the old battery with resets, it's worth reiterating that you can likely get quite a bit more use out of the pack with grid charging maintenance.

If you're already set on just swapping the pack for many more years of trouble-free service, that's that. But if you don't mind putting in a little elbow grease, learning the different options for grid charging may be worth pursuing.
Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM   #20 (permalink)

not like grid charging is very difficult once you have everything in place, but you do lose the ability to drive the car for a day every few months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Random Question