Active Head Restraints. Normal or Weird? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Troubleshooting and Problems

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2009, 08:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Active Head Restraints. Normal or Weird?

I noticed the driver's head restraint, once fully pushed to the most back position, will not always stay at the most back position.

I understand my car has Active Head Restraints system such that the head restraints will move forward to close the gap between my head and the restraints in case of crash from behind. Well, my head restraints did not move forward a lot, but enough that I know it moved. The difference is about 1/2 to 1 inch versus 2+ inches when the active head restraints system really engages. (You can try how far the restraints can move forward by pushing them towards the front. Once released, the restraints should return to normal position)

I know it is difficult to describe this seem-to-be problem, but maybe you can help me by doing this: (test with the driver side)
- Push the head restraint to the most back position.
- Don't adjust the restraint's height. Leave it there.
- Drive the car as usual
- Occasionally lean your head against the restraint. Lean with some force to check restraint is still at the most back position.
- If you feel the restraint can move back a bit further, that means your restraint has moved a bit forward. (which is what I experienced)

This issue does not happen at a specific time/vehicle speed/acceleration/deceleration so I couldn't tell what causing this. I would "guess" my back occasionally leaning on the seatback hard enough such that it pushes against the levers of the active head restraints system hence the head restraints moved forward...
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2009, 02:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

I checked again this morning...

After I started up the car, I already knew the driver side head restraint was not in the furthest back position and so I lean my head backward to "push" the restraint to the most back position. Distance moved was roughly 1 inch (wild guess).

Since then, during and after my 70min/47mi trip to office, the head restraint stayed at the same position. It didn't move forward a bit.

I will check again when I leave office. Maybe the Active Head Restraints System does a power-up check or reset when I switch on the car, and then default to the position which is 1 inch away from the most back position.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

After more investigation done yesterday, it turns out if I apply significant pressure on the front of the seatback (for example, during ingress and seating myself), the pressure will push the levers of the Active Head Restraints System such that the head restraint (also lever-linked) will be pushed forward. If you have access to the owner's manual, you will see a figure of how these levers are linked. I think my head restraint has nothing wrong. It works as designed.

If you don't understand what I'm talking about, try do these:
1) Seat in the front seat (either driver side or passenger side)
2) Keep your back leaning on the seatback.
3) Pull the head restraint forward (towards your head)

While the head restraint is being pulled forward, you should be able to feel your back can lean "deeper into" the seatback. That's what happen when the Active Head Restraints System is in action.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.