Can't get my windows clean - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Troubleshooting and Problems

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2010, 12:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default Can't get my windows clean

Any good tips on how to get the windshield good and clean? I thought it was clean after my wash and wax the other day but when I headed into the sun it looked really hazy. I cleaned both sides inside and out. I used rainX window cleaner and paper towels.

Any suggestions on how to get a cleaner windshield?
Keen4Green is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2010, 04:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have noticed that hazy film also. It is hard to get the windows completely clean.
Brian1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2010, 09:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

One tip is to use something other than paper towels, either cloth (what I use) or crumpled newspaper (reputed to work well, I have not tried). Paper towels have additives that some people think leave a haze.
2001 Forester (daughter's car)

Eastern MA
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2010, 09:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

For the inside windows, especially the front, I use one of the 'As seen on TV' window cleaner that is the microfiber bonnet on a swiveling handle. I found it for $10 at a local Rite-Aid. Having a flat surface that swivels really helps on the hatch window too. The only thing I've cleaned my exterior windows with is when I wash the car and use Wipe and Shine. I just buff them again with a clean microfiber cloth. On the inside I just use water.

Being that no one has or will smoke in my car it is amazing how fast the 'film' builds up.
JimJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2010, 11:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Thanks Jim. Is Wipe and Shine a commercial (i.e., Eagle) product?
Keen4Green is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 05:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

Default Invisible Glass

I had the same problem until I started cleaning them with Invisible Glass and a microfiber towel.

Haze and fog is now gone.
jrlnc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 05:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keen4Green View Post
Thanks Jim. Is Wipe and Shine a commercial (i.e., Eagle) product?
Yes, its an Eagle product. Wipe and Shine is the 'touch-up' in-between-waxing cleaner. I have my windows tinted and after buffing with a clean microfiber cloth the windows have a nice gloss to them. Regardless of 'product' I think the microfiber towel is the key to clean windows.

For the interior windows having the cleaner tool really helps too. It makes it easy to have long, straight parallel strokes. That seems to make any haze buildup much less distracting.

Last edited by JimJohnD; 05-27-2010 at 05:47 AM.
JimJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 08:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default clean windows

Here are a couple of old ways:

On the outside, to remove that greasy road film, Bon Ami cleanser. It has very fine granules and does not scratch. Sprinkle it all over the glass, especially at the ends of the wiper travel arc, then wet it down to form a thin paste, then wipe and rinse with lots of water.

Inside, the tried and true materials are amonia water and newsprint. The newsprint works just as well with almost any glass cleaner. BUT #2 - don't use newspaper. The ink will stain the plastic and fabric inteiror surfaces. Get a big pad of artist's newsprint for charcoal drawing. One pad will last quite a while (years).
dnoveau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

+2 on the Invisible Glass - good performance AND price!
jonniedee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 02:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

[QUOTE=JimJohnD;166225]For the inside windows, especially the front, I use one of the 'As seen on TV' window cleaner that is the microfiber bonnet on a swiveling handle. I found it for $10 at a local Rite-Aid. Having a flat surface that swivels really helps on the hatch window too. The only thing I've cleaned my exterior windows with is when I wash the car and use Wipe and Shine. I just buff them again with a clean microfiber cloth. On the inside I just use water.

Being that no one has or will smoke in my car it is amazing how fast the 'film' builds up.[/QUOI

I bought one of those also and it really makes cleaning that big windshield on the inside much easier. That film buildup makes you wonder what is in air on the inside of the car.
Brian1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.