Improper oil winch mayhem - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Troubleshooting and Problems

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 08:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Improper oil winch mayhem

Dear Friends,
I have done a terrible mistake which i should share with you to prevent you experiencing the same.
I just change my honda genuine oil filter at a service station without going to Honda dealer as i was busy. The service guy have used a wire winch to tighten the oil filter which have made a small dent and scratch on the oil filter. After done 1400km all of sudden i found my check engine warning light came on. When i checked engine oil level it is zero. Luckily i had a spare oil can with me and i put it all the started the engine then i saw a big oil streak coming from the filter and oil was coming out in large quantity, i rushed my car to a near by garage and changed the damaged filter with a new genuine honda filter with me in the car. This guy too used a wire winch and said it will not damage the filter and i believe him. Exactly after 1450km the same thing happened.
The wire winch has damaged my two original oil filters. Then i took my car to another guy who used proper oil winch ( a CUP like winch tightly fitting the oil filter) which has not damaged my oil filter. He asked me to feel the filter after tightening to check for damages which was nil.
But the two episodes cost me more than 130$ until the last damage i did not realized the problem.
My recommendation to you is go for a service station with a properly fitting oil winch for your service if you don't go to Honda.
yapa000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

I only use a mechancial wrench type device to remove the filter but never to put the new one back on. When putting on the new filter I get it tight as I can with just my hand and then back it off 1/4 turn. I've never had a problem doing it this way.
gilbertguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Even the "printed" pictures on the filters say "After the filter gasket touches the block, tighten 3/4 to 1 turn."

HTH
Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301K miles
Use: 346K mi. @ 58.0 LMPG

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums...d-insight.html
http://www.seattleeva.org/wiki/User:...ies_Red_Rocket
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../message/12630
Willie Williford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thats horrible....

I put mines on hand tight and almost always can unscrew it by hand too and once done I check for leaks.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

What an idiot at the dealership... That should be the last thing he should do wrong, changing the oil... Thus why I change the simple stuff myself oil cvt all done by me... I understand you had no time and they shouldn't of messed that up, that could of really damaged your car running on no oil..
InsightRider101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 11:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsightRider101 View Post
What an idiot at the dealership... That should be the last thing he should do wrong, changing the oil... Thus why I change the simple stuff myself oil cvt all done by me... I understand you had no time and they shouldn't of messed that up, that could of really damaged your car running on no oil..
Of course more careful reading of the post indicates that this was not done at the dealer.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertguy View Post
I only use a mechancial wrench type device to remove the filter but never to put the new one back on.....
Same here.

I always tighten the filter by hand, and NOT as tight as I can get it.

Once in a while I have to use a "tool" to get the filter off, but not very often.

Jim.
3-Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.