Honda Insight Forum banner

Honda Insight 3rd gen. 2019.

58K views 150 replies 46 participants last post by  Ishah1206 
#1 ·
This thread is dedicated to discussion on the 3rd generation Insight.
Here is the first article I have found. Please add links or info you may have.
P.S. Honda design could be watching this forum so maybe we should post our hopes for the third gen also.
2019 Honda Insight spy shots

#2 ·
Is the car missing skirts? :) Looks like the rear wheel arch may be disguised to look open and traditional. Or could just be my imagination.

#5 ·
The car in the pictures is a mule, not a prototype.

Most likely the new Insight will look like the last incarnation of the Clarity, that is if it is't one and the same car after all.

#6 ·
I read that it was just a shell (you can see weld lines where the body was "stretched" to accommodate the Insight mechanics)

It will likely be a hatchback as well; that was in another article I read. It would be amazing for it to be made to surpass the G1s; but I doubt it will.

#7 · (Edited)
#9 ·
Honda is leaning toward a serial hybrid setup like the accord, no CVT needed

I think Honda would have to beat G1 if they want to beat the Gen IV PRII,

The serial drivetrain lends itself to PHEV which would make for an interesting possibility.

Ah well, 2 years to wait, might even be Euro zone only we won't know for a long time

#10 ·
I think Honda needs to quit while they're ahead if their idea of advanced styling is the current Civic and the new Accord. The last good looking Civic came out in '06, the last good looking Accord came out in '03 (especially the coupe and they no longer make an Accord coupe), and the last good looking hybrid came out in 2000. They blew it on the Gen II Insight, as well as the CRZ. I still love my Hondas, their just not new ones.

#11 ·
They blew it on the Gen II Insight, as well as the CRZ. I still love my Hondas, their just not new ones.
I don't know, everyone I talked to liked the way the second gen looked a lot more than the Prius. They just didn't like the lower mileage ratings and smaller size.

And I love the way the CR-Z looks. I just don't like that they made it a relative pig, weightwise, compared to the first gen Insight. It should have been a true two-seater, not a 2+2 with the rear seats ripped out. And a higher strung engine.

But no problems with the looks.

#12 ·
No I agree, the CRZ has decent styling, and I was going to buy one, but Honda cheaped out in the execution. Had they made 3 or 4 versions, like the legendary CRX, they could have made everyone happy. There should have been a lean burn hybrid, an HF, a standard, and an SI with an Accord motor stuffed in it. But this is old news. We have a stick shift '12 Fit, which I love, but it needed another gear. So Honda's latest version has a six speed, but the same final drive and gearing, so it still runs like 2900 rpm at 60. Go Figure.

#13 ·
They'll end up in the electric car age before they make another good hybrid. Best car would be aluminum body with small engine and lean burn and a manual with tall gears. I don't see that ever happening again. But once they make a small aluminum electric car, that's gonna be something awesome.

#14 ·
I hope so, but their current electric car is based on the previous generation Fit, and finished behind the Leaf, the Fiat, and the Electric Spark, which finished first, in a Car and Driver Comparo. I understand the latest Civic is a great car, providing you never get out of it or look at your reflection. And you can still get a stick shift in a new Accord, something you can't get in a Camry. So there may be hope. In the meantime, my 1967 CL90 still starts on the first kick and still runs like a champ.

#16 · (Edited)
I hope the Insight crowd gets something cooler.

The Grace Hybrid seems to be exactly the same on the exterior except the name badge of course. The interior is all right.

#20 · (Edited)
SEO spam

Strangely clunky write up released a few days ago
That whole website smacks of SEO. Look how many times they repeat "2019 Honda Insight in the headings and the text. 25 times. The whole phrase.

Looks like most of the info is scraped from other, real articles like:
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1022930_2019-honda-insight-spy-shots

And info like the gas mileage isn't even correct. 41 city/44 highway is just the 2nd gen's EPA mileage. Whoever was scraping the web for info just threw up whatever looked right.

I would probably unlink it, lest you give them more views and a higher search rank.

#22 ·
Hold on to your G1s with or without IMA. It will never get any better since Mr Honda passed away it hasn't been the same with designs or technical innovations at Honda. Just look at their new products since then and how they performed in F1 with McLaren.

#25 ·
Natalya,
Surely you knew what I meant by Mr. Honda's passing in 1991 as you stated. His innovative spirit seems to be gone from Honda. Of the 44 cars I had owned, 25 of them have been Hondas or Acuras. The newer ones aren't the same anymore. They handle great but have low revving turbo engines and look odd. I recently test drove a Civic Type R. It didn't make the right noises just as Car & Driver recent comparison test with a Focus RS in which the Type R won.
Where are the replacements for CRX HF and SI, Integra Type R, RSX Type S, S2000, G1, Civic HX and VX, none turbo high reving 4 cylinders and winning F1 engines?

#31 ·
Honda's "strategy" with the Insight tells me they have no clue what the f*** they are doing anymore as a company.

Honda playbook:

1) Build the same models as last year, but bigger.
2) ???

Anything else and they have no idea. The insight has now been three completely different cars separated by multi-year dead space. The Clarity is coming out and basically overlaps the Accord, and the EV model has an ~80 mile range. Frankly, the new Insight looks like it overlaps the Clarity.

They have no real plans for the future AFAICT.

#33 ·
Honda's "strategy" with the Insight tells me they have no clue what the f*** they are doing anymore as a company.

Honda playbook:

1) Build the same models as last year, but bigger.
2) ???

Anything else and they have no idea.

They have no real plans for the future AFAICT.
They very much understand the buying public and are mearly copying exactly what Ford does,
Americans only want giant land barges and have some sort of aversion to hatches and wagons.

Honda could just drop cars and only sell the minivan like crossovers everyone else vomits out

My guess is one of the cars will stick and they will focus on selling that.

Disappointed? Yes I am, I rather see a lot of small or even micro cars and trucks on the market but unless Trump brings massive suffering to the us masses that won’t happen.

People here don’t voluntarily live frugally or even within their means, sadly only immense suffering brings change here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.