Honda Insight Forum banner

2001 w/CVT still won't move

Tags
2001 cvt
2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Rainsux 
#1 ·
My 2001 w/CVT (156k miles) that I hardly ever drive but I keep it running and charged up, will go into gear, (drive and reverse and you can feel it going into the gear) but for some reason the car won't move at all in either direction. I jacked up the car and in neutral neither of the front tires would spin so i'm guessing that indicates a problem. I've posted on here before and some suggested that it's the flywheel in the transmission that needs to be replaced but before I do that, i'd like some more opinions if anyone has any to offer. Thank you for your efforts

#2 ·
There have been reports of the cable/fitting breaking (on top of the trans.)

HTH
Willie

#4 · (Edited)
#5 ·
I'm betting on stripped flywheel splines.

Sam

#6 ·
seeing that you aren't the only one to suggest this now and in the past i'll take it that you are most likely right. Could a flywheel really go bad from a car that is hardly ever driven or is it just going to go bad whenever and however it feels like it?

#8 ·
This is just a theory. Somebody correct me if you have a better explanation.

I doubt if it has anything to do with how you drive your CVT. I think the input shaft is made of a harder material than the flywheel. The very slight movement between the parts causes the input shaft to "eat away" the flywheel splines. It is put together with grease, but the rubber o-ring that keeps the grease in fails, and then you have metal-to-metal, accelerating the failure.

Sam

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.