Honda Insight Forum banner

Speaker Change

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Vanzanten 
#1 ·
Greetings fellow Insight Drivers!

I have recently upgraded my speakers on my Insight (2nd gen.) and wanted to share my experiences with others who are about to try.
Sadly, i did not take any pictures as I was a bit intimidated by the task and only thought about how to successfully finish it :)

I won't repeat what has already been written and will just concentrate on my additional comments:

• Unplug your car's battery if your operation takes longer (but have your radio's security code ready)
  • I bought "standard size" jbl speakers (GTO629) and they do not fit right into the hole in the door.
  • Get this kind of rubber sticky tape - i was able to make my new speakers fit by using the tape and the provided bezels to have the speaker mount a bit "away" from the metal door frame.
  • When buying "Honda Insight Speaker adapter cables", you will most likely get the ones for the first generation Insight; they will not fit.
  • With most speakers (like mine) you need to drill holes in the door.
  • If you have the variant with 6 speakers pre-fittet, the tweeters come wired in parallell (?) to the front spakers; as the cables are not colour - coded, you have to test out which ones of the cables go back to the stereo and which ones go to the tweeters. I would have done well to disconnect the stock tweeters but i did not. (the speakers i got have their own tweeters)
  • Be prepared to solder connections onto the speaker cables if you cannot get a speaker cable adapter; most plugs that you would get expect bigger cable sizes and thus cannot be just squeezed onto the cables with pliers - you have to solder.
  • As you have to solder the speaker cables "i the air",i asked someone to hold the cables for me while i soldered - if you are (like me) not particularly adept at soldering , be prepared that you might need a second person to hold you the cables while you solder.
  • When prying the plastic door cover from the door, it worked best for me when I started tugging on the bottom of the plastic door cover. Still, i destroyed some of the red caps that fix the plastic cover to the metal door when tugging it out; the door covers when reattached still hold superbly well.
  • Depending on where you touch the metal door, grease will spill out - i tried to put all grease back whence it came as it will seal the inner part of the door from rain (?).

As for sound quality, the built-in radio actually works very well when hooked up to better speakers ;)
I had to put down treble a bit as i think that the stock tweeters still over-steer a bit; as i said, i should have checked which cable was going to the builtin tweeters and disconnect it.

Apart from that, i am very happy with the sound; bigger speakers with 3-way components would have made way more decent bass sounds but i decided against them as i did not want to cut into my doors.

Why did i say to disconnect the 12V battery? It is the reason why i did not take pictures ;)
I thought that i would not need to drill holes on the doors and thus did not have access to a drill when I started changing the speakers; so i stopped when I saw that i needed to drill and got one the next day and continued then. By then however (that was when I wanted to take pictures) my battery was drained completely and the car would not start (of course i left wires disconnected etc over night). As soon as i got jumpstarted by someone after i finished installing the speakers my Insight worked again like a charm. I am not sure what it was but one possibility is that somehow the system that checks for open doors drained the battery because i disconnected all the cables to the switches on the doors and unhung the strings that actually open and lock the doors - so maybe it thought the doors where open?

Hope this helps others, suggestion and input of course welcome!

Best regards,

Christian

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.