Honda Insight Forum banner

Disc Brake Pad Drag Reduction Clips

6K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  BackStreet 
#1 ·
Installed brake pad drag reduction clips today. They seem to work well.

The idea is to not let the pads rest against the rotor. The clips push the pads apart, off the surface of the rotor.

In neutral, I can now coast on a very slight incline. I'm not expecting a big increase in mpg. Any difference may be to slight to attribute to the clips.

I removed the calipers, squeezed the clips, and inserted the ends in the slot so they hooked inside the pads on each side. Getting them all the way in was a little tricky.

They don't look it in the picture but all 4 clips were symmetric.

Raybestos H6001 Professional Grade Disc Brake Pad Drag Reduction Clip

See less See more
1 1
#4 ·
Yeah, I tucked mines inside the pad backing place just after the brake material.

Im sure if you took advantage of the coasting you would see some mpg increase. I like the rolling effect it gives as it seems the car with its regaining that its got low air in the tires.

#7 ·
Plug

Backstreet: Your plug for NxxA is most appreciated.

When you go to the Rxxxxxxx site, click on "Parts Number Search", then enter part number, then select Rxxxxxx from "Manufacturer" list. If all went well, you should receive a price quote. Follow directions for shipping, etc.

#9 ·
Backstreet: Your plug for NxxA is most appreciated.

When you go to the Rxxxxxxx site, click on "Parts Number Search", then enter part number, then select Rxxxxxx from "Manufacturer" list. If all went well, you should receive a price quote. Follow directions for shipping, etc.
Oh, I found it with shipping at the EXACT SAME PRICE!!!!!!!!!

NAPA in this case is the brand. I get $10,000 each time I mention NAPA.

NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA NAPA .....

#8 ·
If you are an AAA member you get a discount at NAPA. Currently NAPA has their bucket special. Buy a bucket for $2.50 and everything that fits in the bucket is 20% off. Yes, you can crush the packaging to get a starter, water pump, alternator, etc in there. Must buy at least 3 items to qualify.

NAPA is good at getting odd new parts. Rockauto is good at getting old discontinued parts. Thats how I managed to get all the brake parts for the 10 inch drums on my sidekick. Most sidekicks have 8 inch drums, but the wagon model has 10.

#10 ·
NAPA and O'Reilly's are the only 2 stores in my area that will resurface drums and rotors for you. :evil:

Ive been jerked around too much to deal with Auto Zone. Advance auto isnt too bad. Staples auto is a joke. I was trying to find some special 2 or 3 electrode denso plugs for my tacoma and they thought I was crazy.

#11 · (Edited)
One rotor hotter than the other.

To my dismay, the passenger rotor was noticeably hotter. I checked several times.

Either the driver side needs to be bled or the passenger side has a stuck pad.

I checked the passenger side first and sure enough one pad could be moved with a screwdriver but was in contact with the rotor. The other pad had a visible gap.

I removed all the pads. They are Green Stuff EBC which have a heavy coat of green paint. I filed the paint off, greased the ends, and made sure they could slide back and forth with little effort.

Easy Clip install instructions:

1) Turn the wheels all the way toward the side you are working on. The caliper will be very accessible. Jack up and remove the wheel.
2) Remove just the caliper pot itself by removing the two 12mm bolts. Place caliper on top of the rotor or support somehow. Do not remove the bracket.
3) Use a C-clamp to hold the pads lightly against the rotor while you insert the clips inside the pads. This makes the install of the clips easy.
4) Slide the caliper over the pads as you slide the C-clamp out of the way.

Without the C-clamp, the clips will push the pads out of the slots. You will need 3 hands at least.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.