Bumblebee MaxIMA battery - excellent experience - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Vendor Member Section > Bumblebee Batteries

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bumblebee MaxIMA battery - excellent experience

I'd like to let you all know about my experience with Bumblebee Batteries. Recently I got fed up with my car's failing battery (last replaced in 2006!) and ordered a MaxIMA battery. Eli was a pleasure to deal with, shipped the product promptly and gave tracking information, and packaged it exceptionally well.
The box, which traversed 2000 miles but arrived in perfect shape, even came with a roll of tape and a disposable dispenser for repacking the core battery! The icing on the cake was a thank-you card that really made me feel good about supporting a small business.

Replacing the battery was a breeze, using jeff652's excellent instructions (saved from HBR I think) at Hybrid Automotive .
The battery itself is monstrous. Loads of power with negligible voltage drop, prodigious regen abilities, and quick recharging. All I need now is MIMA to get the full advantage of this amazing new battery. All in all I'm thrilled with this battery and recommend Bumblebee Batteries wholeheartedly to anyone considering an upgrade.

Mods: 3M Filtrete Advanced Allergen cabin filter cut from furnace sized unit, ScanGauge II and obdII C&C
My IMA system is so broken that the malfunction light won't even bother to turn on. Update: the light turns on now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Getting about 60mpg average, it burns leanly
Thermactor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hypermiler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJellyBean View Post
I'd like to let you all know about my experience with Bumblebee Batteries. Recently I got fed up with my car's failing battery (last replaced in 2006!) and ordered a MaxIMA battery. Eli was a pleasure to deal with, shipped the product promptly and gave tracking information, and packaged it exceptionally well.
The box, which traversed 2000 miles but arrived in perfect shape, even came with a roll of tape and a disposable dispenser for repacking the core battery! The icing on the cake was a thank-you card that really made me feel good about supporting a small business.

Replacing the battery was a breeze, using jeff652's excellent instructions (saved from HBR I think) at Hybrid Automotive .
The battery itself is monstrous. Loads of power with negligible voltage drop, prodigious regen abilities, and quick recharging. All I need now is MIMA to get the full advantage of this amazing new battery. All in all I'm thrilled with this battery and recommend Bumblebee Batteries wholeheartedly to anyone considering an upgrade.
Good to hear that RJB, I've got my 'notebook' marked with Eli's name when the time comes. (my pack was replaced in '07) I've seen Jeff's instructions as well. Did you do the install yourself, with help? Extra set of hands (and muscle) recommended? How long to install for someone who's never done one? Mistakes / hazards to avoid?

..Bob
, IMAC&C
'01 mt, Silver, 222k,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, MIMA, currently "
"
'00 Citrus,, 184k,
, MIMA,

'01 mt, Oxy Blue, 218k

Go Navy, or don't go
Mountain driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain driver View Post
Good to hear that RJB, I've got my 'notebook' marked with Eli's name when the time comes. (my pack was replaced in '07) I've seen Jeff's instructions as well. Did you do the install yourself, with help? Extra set of hands (and muscle) recommended? How long to install for someone who's never done one? Mistakes / hazards to avoid?

..Bob
I did the install myself in an unheated garage! The job was easy, just read the instructions on hybridautomotive.com carefully. Took me a couple of hours, taking my sweet time. I recommend breaking the bolts loose with a wrench and then using a cordless drill with a socket attachment to get the bolts out; for installation, recommend starting the bolts in the threads by hand and then using the drill to get them snugged. Saves a lot of time and effort.

The pack was a pain to get out by myself without the lifter or anything but it was doable. It is one of those things though that safety is very important on, whether you risk electrocuting yourself (wear electrical gloves) or hurting your back (get a helper or use careful form, don't strain), so I would proceed with those factors accounted for.

Mods: 3M Filtrete Advanced Allergen cabin filter cut from furnace sized unit, ScanGauge II and obdII C&C
My IMA system is so broken that the malfunction light won't even bother to turn on. Update: the light turns on now

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hypermiler

Garage

Tell me about the lifter. Available for purchase when buying the pack?
, IMAC&C
'01 mt, Silver, 222k,
, MIMA, currently "
"
'00 Citrus,, 184k,
, MIMA,

'01 mt, Oxy Blue, 218k

Go Navy, or don't go
Mountain driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain driver View Post
Tell me about the lifter. Available for purchase when buying the pack?
http://99mpg.com/ProjectCars/insightbatterypack/
It's a Genesis One product, not offered by Bumblebee IIRC. You could make one of your own if you were so inclined, some designs are on the page. But... honestly, I was able to manage perfectly fine by myself without any lifting aids.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

The MPG gains are very real. Today the weather was absolute crap going in to work and I got 73mpg on a drive that I would have achieved 58mpg on with the old battery.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJellyBean View Post
The battery itself is monstrous. Loads of power with negligible voltage drop, prodigious regen abilities, and quick recharging. All I need now is MIMA to get the full advantage of this amazing new battery.
When I think of MIMA (and even the HCH IMAC&C with the super assist) based on what I have read the mental image of a mule skinner driving a team of 20 mules and a bull whip come to mind. The other image might be getting those sled dog teams ready for that long race across Alaska and their tongues hanging out. Is that fair? Will using MIMA have any impact on the longevity of your new pack?

Last edited by JohnVirginia; 03-26-2013 at 07:46 AM.
JohnVirginia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVirginia View Post
Will using MIMA have any impact on the longevity of your new pack?
No one really knows, and it depends on how you use MIMA or IMAC&C. Common sense says that if you use something more (more assist/regen) it will likely wear out a bit quicker. Every battery has a finite life. It will be several years before we likely see any adverse effects IMHO, and by then it will be virtually impossible to distinguish a MIMA induced failure from a normal IMA induced failure. However as a final thought exercise is also good for you, and I have seen packs that work best when given a real hammering. So you make your own choices.

ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com
retepsnikrep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 04:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Still waiting for a spec/do's/don't of grid charging for the BBB.

Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

WHat is the weight of a pack?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in