2005 Insight, mt, 71k. - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Insightful Deals > Buy/Sell Insight-Related Items

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2018, 05:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2005 Insight, mt, 71k.

Wonderful car that I damaged the structure around the radiator. Drove it up onto and over a curb. It pushed up the front of the hood. And I continued to drive it without any problems with anything. Didn't think much of it for 4 months when I finally had a body shop tell me that if I submitted it to insurance, it will be totaled. The cost of conventional repair of the aluminum structure around the radiator would be off the charts. Besides this, the rear hatch latch was making the whining noise and removed it only to realize that I'm clueless on how to replace the missing part other than paying Honda a mint for it. The body is in very good condition with a few blemishes that I stopped noticing over time. I also moved the IMA battery from the 05 to a 2001 I purchased, and the 01 IMA to the 05 for sale. The prior owner hooked it up to a grid charger and worked fine for a time, but now is without any charge. Others on the forum (when I first posted it in June using the I.D. "dougfromdenver") talked about ways to address the problem and not give up on an otherwise wonderful car. But I bought my 01 since, and don't have the time to look further into any other option, no matter how good it may be.

I want $2500 for it, but will entertain offers. Wife wants it gone from the street in front of my home, as do my neighbors who have hinted at the length of time its been a stationary object they don't want to look at any more. My 2001 looks identical, and they suggested I do a "BOGO" offer. Me thinks not.

Blemishes? Yes, but nothing so bad, no less extreme to even think about as my wife enjoyed getting 62 mpg at altitude here in Denver.

Last edited by dougsinsight; 11-20-2018 at 05:08 PM. Reason: add photos
dougsinsight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2018, 06:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

This forum is very cheap... I would try Craigslist. GLWS.
Kevinnfl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2018, 08:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

What color (Silver?) are your Insights and where are you located (Denver?). Majority of us already have one, two, or more Insights. They kinda of multiply!

You need to have a few more posts before the forum allows you to upload pictures. Please post pictures of the damage along with others (will look for the June post)

https://www.insightcentral.net/forum...make-safe.html

Couldn't find pictures of the rest of the car in the album

Thank you for posting it here first where the G1 Insights are loved and cared for.
176k miles, 64.8 LMPG, April 2017, Bought from Original Owner
232k miles 64.8 LMPG as of May 2019
AP1ZE1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2018, 02:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP1ZE1 View Post
What color (Silver?) are your Insights and where are you located (Denver?). Majority of us already have one, two, or more Insights. They kinda of multiply!

You need to have a few more posts before the forum allows you to upload pictures. Please post pictures of the damage along with others (will look for the June post)

https://www.insightcentral.net/forum...make-safe.html

Couldn't find pictures of the rest of the car in the album

Thank you for posting it here first where the G1 Insights are loved and cared for.
Yes. I'm in the Denver suburb of Lakewood, just west of Denver proper.

It is silver/gray. I have two, the one I want to sell and the other (a 2001 mt with 61k miles).

If you PM me, I'll provide you with a link to see the complete set of pictures by the body shop that said it was too expensive for a conventional aluminum body repair shop to fix.

In earlier posts to my account I.D. "dougfromdenver," someone presented a very practical way of repair that you can read about if you find that thread. I've attempted to obtain a new password again for that I.D.

I will try to post photos using a Google photos link. If it is permissible, I can certainly copy and paste that link here. But I am not keenly aware of all of the rules.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Here is the link to your post from June:
https://www.insightcentral.net/forum...d-insight.html

Is the 05 drivable the 1,200 miles from Denver to Nashville via Eye 70 or does it need to be put on a Uhaul Dolly and towed? By the way, what are the last 3 digits on the VIN?

I have seen the body shop pictures in your album under your old username. Do you have any pictures of the rest of the car's interior and exteriors, instrument cluster with engine running and showing IMA Charge status?

Sending you a PM
Old 11-21-2018, 03:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'll try to post pictures. I'm inexperienced with working with forum features.

I know that you can drive an Insight on the engine alone. How to do that is beyond my pay grade (I'm barely a pawn on the chess board in terms of such things). That is an option you can consider. Otherwise, towing it back is certainly an option.

Last 3: 250
Old 11-21-2018, 04:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougsinsight View Post

I know that you can drive an Insight on the engine alone. How to do that is beyond my pay grade
I commute with my 05 with IMA conncected and take trips with 'IMA off road bypass' mod and still get lean burn on the highway and have enough power in all the gears and keep the 12 volt battery happy even driving through the night. What I intended to ask was; is it roadworthy to make the 1,200 miles with just one gas stop in Kansas City?

From what you are saying, the 01 IMA that you put in the 05 is dead. Is that correct?
Old 11-21-2018, 04:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougsinsight View Post
To upload photos to your post, just click on the attachment icon below the title bar. A new window pops opens and allows you to choose and upload 4 photos per post. Then go to bottom of this new window and click on the 'Close this window' button. Then Preview your post before submitting it.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Are all the pictures provided sufficient for you?

Yes, the IMA is dead.

The 12 volt battery is dead too, probably due to lack of use since July. I don't have a battery charger to charge the 12 volt. The engine starts fine when its connected to a battery pack, but stops when I remove the cables. I've not tried to simply jump it and let it run for a time. I don't know if that will do what a battery charger will accomplish.

As far as driving to Nashville, the Insight drove VERY well after the "curb incident". I was unconcerned, simply enjoying it for several months. Then the body shop estimator
claimed that a front impact could be very bad for our health. I don't know enough to judge whether it is true. But it unsettled us enough to restrict driving it and then I stopped driving it altogether.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

"Then the body shop estimator claimed that a front impact could be very bad for our health".
Does the body guy also work as a doctor. ?
Please explain.
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in