Chevy Volt Lithium subpack(s) available - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Insightful Deals > Buy/Sell Insight-Related Items

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2019, 06:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Chevy Volt Lithium subpack(s) available

Fellow Insighters:

I have used Chevy Volt pack that I'm about to tear down into it's 7 48V and 2 24V sub-packs.

From what I've read here, it should be possible to swap in 3 of the 48V with some clever BMS fooling (as discussed in many threads here)

Please contact me if you are interested.
sasmyth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2019, 01:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

4x48v or 3x48V and 1x24v pack would be better IMHO

What capacity size/ weight / dimensions etc are they?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com
retepsnikrep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2019, 06:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

The 1 gen Voltec battery consists of 288 LiOn cells grouped into 96 "blades" of 3 pouches each "welded" together for a 360V 16kWh (45Ah) full pack weighing 435lb. 96s3p .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Volt#Battery

I haven't broken it down from it's full format yet, but from what I see (and have read), the "natural" breaks (mechanically and electrically) are the 7x48V (12s3p) and 2x24V (6s3p) modules.

It appears that many have further broken the subpacks electrically (but not mechanically) to operate as, for example, 12V or 24V solar battery backup systems.

Mechanically, each 3p module is probably the smallest you can break down to reasonably, the reason I plan to stop at 12s3p and 6s3p is that is the level at which further breakdown would be mechanically fragile, though if i had a specific configuration to put them in as I took them apart.

Here is a pretty good video of someone doing the teardown:

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...down-shows-all

Indications are they weigh about 45 lbs per 48V sub-pack. I'm looking around for more precise numbers but best I can estimate, a 48V sub-pack is about 12"Wx12"Hx9"D. I'm assuming the right fit for an Insight would be 3x48V.

FWIW they are generally advertised for about $500/48V sub-pack on e-bay but I would do better for the right person/project. These batteries are known for their good thermal and electrical management (e.g.using only the middle 10kWh of the capacity and having liquid heating/cooling). I will test each 3p "blade" and won't offer any sub-packs that are not within a narrow range. I expect to find only one (or very few) bad 3p blades.

- Steve
sasmyth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in