2002 Blue M/T for sale KC area - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Insightful Deals > Buy/Sell Insight-Related Items

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2019, 02:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2002 Blue M/T for sale KC area

Hi all,
Selling my blue 2002 MT.
I will try to be as complete as possible.
Just under 212,000 miles
Runs Great.
Asking $2900, hey make me an offer.
IMA Battery is getting long in the tooth but still works.
If I don't drive it for 3-4 days it will set the IMA light but a quick Grid charge and steady driving it works fine. I drive mainly in town but have driven it as far as round trip between KC and Wichita without any issues in the past couple months.
I have owned it for about 3-4 years. I talked to the previous owner prior to purchasing it and they had replaced the clutch, rebuilt the transmission (no grinding) and replaced the mount.
I have replaced the sway bar links and rebuilt the ground straps. It has almost new 175 tires on it.
All lights including the dash LED's work fine, the power window switch auto down still works, everything electrical seems to work.
Brake lines look fine from what i can see.
I have and RG Batteries Grid Charger that I use.
I also built a discharger but have not hooked it up, both are included.
Have the original manuals, window sticker, and other info that would have been provided at the time of sale as well as some bonus info.
Seat covers are on both seats because the driver's has the usual wear.
Other known issues:
Oil leak from the drain plug or front crank seal?, not bad marks its spot, the original bolt stripped and it has an oversize bolt in it. Must be very careful when changing the oil.
Doesn't seem to use oil as i have never had to add any between changes.
Windshield is cracked, doesn't come up into the driver's field of view but does on the passenger side.
Seat belts get damp when it rains.
Auto Check shows 1 accident, the only evidence I can find is the decals are missing on the back glass however the hatch and the rear panel still have the OEM decals with the VIN #s in place, so does the rest of the body so I don't know what it could have been. Maybe just the glass replaced?
The under-body panel on the Passenger side must have come loose at some point as part of it is worn away.
Body and paint are in good condition however the clear-coat on the roof while not peeling looks duller than the rest of the car.
Worst panel as far as scratches is the Passenger door but most should rub out, I have close up larger pictures of all of the car available and can take more.
I have lots of pictures as well as a lift in my garage and the potential buyer is welcome to inspect it before purchase on-site if they like.
I can also provide some limited transportation, for example I make frequent trips to Wichita and if the wife is headed down I can meet there and ride back with her.
I really like this car and appreciate it for what it is but circumstances have dictated that I purchase my elderly Mother's low mileage 01 Civic and something has to go.
I hope it ends up with someone else who appreciates it and will take care of it.
PM me here and I will get with you, if you provide my an e-mail I have lots of higher resolution pics and will be happy to send them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LF resize.jpg (1.22 MB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg RF resize.jpg (1.15 MB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg LR resize.jpg (1.18 MB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg RR resize.jpg (1.12 MB, 21 views)
fixitmann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2019, 09:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

OK no interest?
Shameless bump with a little more info and pictures.
I have to do something with it and as I said I would like to see it go to someone with an interest in these cars.
Here are some additional pictures.
The price I posted was asking and is not necessarily firm.
Make me an offer if interested... you never know.

Couple of other things I forgot:
Replaced the bearing in the Idler pulley.
I have the valve to replace the drain plug, was going to install at the next oil change.
You can see the crack in the windshield just above the wipers in the under-hood pic.

I have been driving it back and forth to work and will continue too until it is sold so the mileage will slightly increase.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resize 2.jpg (1.10 MB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg resize 3.jpg (1.05 MB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg resize 4.jpg (99.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg resize 5.jpg (957.2 KB, 10 views)
Old 04-22-2019, 09:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

Sounds to be in pretty good shape mechanically.

Do you know the history on the battery? Is it Honda or one of the aftermarket?

BTW, I have pretty nice stock seats if someone along the east coast wants the car.
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2019, 10:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

I don't know anything about the age or whose battery it may have been.
Right after purchasing it I opened the compartment mainly because some bolts were missing, I did not like the way the wiring for the grid charger was routed and the foam insulation was laying in the back and not installed.
So someone had been in there, possibly to install the charger, replace/rebuild the battery or both I don't know.
I installed the insulation and moved the wiring away from a sharp edge.
I did not see any aftermarket labeling on the battery.

If the car sits for several days to a week not being driven it will usually do a recal(?) where the indicator will either drop almost all the way to empty and then rapidly to full.
On a few occasions it will set an IMA light but not always.
I usually reset it if necessary when I hook the grid charger up.
About once or twice a month I will hook up the grid charger overnight.
When turning the charger on it will display on start up anywhere from 60 to 90 volts.
It will usually show 179 to 182 when finished.
If driven daily I don't usually have any issues except an occasional what i call a recal.
The reasons above and that it will deplete the state of charge on long pulls or more aggressive driving quicker than it used too make me think it is getting tired.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you still have the IPU lid off, you can remove the IMA fan and shine a flashlight into the battery to identify the color of the stick heat shrink. If it is orange, it is likely a Honda replacement and has more restoration potential with discharging and charging. Sorry I didn't explain that originally. The Honda packs are also probably more reliable, though there would be arguments about that.

You are probably frightening potential buyers off with your asking price. Price is in the eye of the buyer, but a asking price of $2000 would get you more queries. One of your handicaps is that most of the Insight fans are on the two coasts and up in MN/WS.

Good luck.

Last edited by jime; 04-22-2019 at 01:09 PM.
jime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2019, 01:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Just as a heads up, I have started seing other aftermarket suppliers using a OEM-similarish orange wrap on aftermarket sticks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

608-729-4082

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile service also available
ericbecky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2019, 02:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the input.

Folks if someone is interested at $2000 let me know.

Like I said i would rather see this go to someone who knows and appreciates these cars for what they are.
Not desperate to sell but unfortunately i do need to sell it.
This is a great site with a wealth of knowledge.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jime View Post
If you still have the IPU lid off, you can remove the IMA fan and shine a flashlight into the battery to identify the color of the stick heat shrink. If it is orange, it is likely a Honda replacement and has more restoration potential with discharging and charging. Sorry I didn't explain that originally. The Honda packs are also probably more reliable, though there would be arguments about that.

You are probably frightening potential buyers off with your asking price. Price is in the eye of the buyer, but a asking price of $2000 would get you more queries. One of your handicaps is that most of the Insight fans are on the two coasts and up in MN/WS.

Good luck.
What's WS?
hondarider90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2019, 07:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondarider90 View Post
What's WS?
I guess it is WI huh? Working from memory and at 81 that isn't terribly reliable
Old 04-24-2019, 12:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

At least you are still turning left Jime.
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 436,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in