2001 w/ 61k upgraded w/ my 71k 2005 engine, battery, new clutch, more. - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Insightful Deals > Buy/Sell Insight-Related Items

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2019, 04:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2001 w/ 61k upgraded w/ my 71k 2005 engine, battery, new clutch, more.

2001 Insight with a MANUAL transmission. Clean title. 61k miles. Upgraded with engine and battery from my well serviced 2005 with 71k. The original owner did not tell me it was not achieving the high MPG that my other manual models provided.

I pampered my previous Insight from the time of purchase with only 35k miles. I purchased this 2001 after I hit a curb, and damaged the radiator post area of the frame. The damage seemed insignificant. But the body shop told me that this damage MIGHT be unsafe if in a front end collision. Wife would not drive it. Undecided what to do, I bought this 2001.

The original 2001 engine gradually showed symptoms of bearing issues. Rather than try to repair it, I decided to move my VERY well cared for 71k 05 engine, as well as my strong IMA battery, into this 2001 Insight. Also did other swaps that made the car better.

Before moving the 05 engine to this 01, my tech confirmed that everything with the engine and its timing belt was in superior condition. I took my tech's suggestion and installed a new clutch in the 01 as well.

05 OEM IMA battery was replaced by a Honda dealer about 7 years ago. The IMA remained strong as the car was driven frequently, being regularly charged and discharged. It was also never in a hot weather environment, so there was no hot weather deterioration to the battery.

NEVER PLANNED ON SELLING THE 2001 CAR, especially after I moved the best from my 05 to the 01. That changed recently as detailed below.

VIN: JHMZE13791T001430. Check and you'll find a clean history. Cosmetically, it is in very good condition. The two speaker "bar" from my 05 still needs to be connected to stereo.

I HAVE A SECOND SET OF ALLOY RIMS from the 05, with tires that are available. They can be purchased and sent off with the car to the buyer.

This is my 6th Insight. And I did not plan to sell it. However, my wife and I now own a 2015 Nissan Leaf EV, and a 2017 Toyota Prius Prime plug in. Our solar panels provide all the power we need. And so our need for a car that provided 60 mpg on long road trips, and close to 50 mpg around town is no longer needed.

Also playing into the decision is that one my wife's knee is going to be replaced soon. Getting into and out of the low profile Insight was going to be an issue. And it was getting harder for me to enter and exit the car.

I've more on the 01 Insight purchase than I should have, expertly installing my pampered 05 engine and strong battery to the it. I added a new clutch. At this time I spent more in total than what I will sell the car for.

THIS IS MY 6TH INSIGHT and 2nd with a manual transmission. I'm going to miss not having one.

PRICE: $5,500. If interested, please reply to this post, or call/text message my cell at 303-819-7969.

Here's a link to my Craigslist ad: https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/...866576546.html
There's more photos of this car in the "Gallery", including one of my 05 and 01 together in front of my home.

I LIVE IN DENVER, COLORADO. If you want to transport it, I will provide you with discounted transport (through my business). My cost is your cost.

Last edited by dougsinsight; 04-22-2019 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Missing price
dougsinsight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 05:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

My A8 seat swap made my seats much higher off the floor. If you both are under 5'10" it makes a great improvement in comfort and egress, ingress. I used to struggle getting into the car and now I just get into it like any other car.
hondarider90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019, 05:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

alternatively it should be easy to add some spacers and longer bolts to raise up the seats a bit. An inch or so makes a world of difference more than most think for getting in and out.
hondarider90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 08:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hey Doug, great to hear from you! I'm glad you got the engine swap done successfully! May the car sell quickly at that price, or not sell at all so that you can continue driving it for many years to come! 😉
Old 04-15-2019, 10:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
K20

You didnt include the link

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/...866576546.html

Beautiful car, I wouldnt take a penny less than what you have listed it for.
K20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019, 10:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Thanks for the feedback.

It ticked me off how I could damage my original 05 with something that seemed minor. But the damage to the pillar is exactly as the photos show in my gallery images. With the 05 engine (71k) in the 01 for sale (with 61k), and a really well conditioned OEM IMA, I expected to keep it for years... then my wife objected to keeping it. Her logic trumped my emotional love for 1st gen Insight manuals. So now its for sale. I'm bummed. The next owner will get an exceptional car with over 150k miles left on the engine.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

Never thought of this. Thank you for the suggestion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
*sean*, ap1ze1, boon, novicetrader.jay, strider

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in