-2002 Silver Insight CVT with AC
-Current Mileage: 174,013
-Asking Price: $2,000 (reduced!) or best offer
-Location: Ypsilanti, MI
-High Voltage Battery Age/Condition: New Bumblebee BeeMax battery was installed on 2/21/19 and has just over 2,000 miles on it
-Transmission Condition: Good
-Engine or IMA Codes Showing: Check engine light is on because of an aftermarket catalytic converter
-Interior & Exterior Condition Summary: See notes below
I have made many repairs to the car in the two years that I have owned it (I am the 4th owner).
- The biggest pro is Bumblebee Battery I just had installed in February (the standard 6.5 amp one with all-new cells). I've only driven about 2,000 miles since the new high-voltage battery was replaced, a quarter of those on a single trip to Toronto. Part of the reason for my asking price, despite a head gasket issue (see below), is that so much of the value of the car is in this nearly-new battery.
- The previous owner was nursing along the previous high-voltage battery with a grid charger. When I had the new battery installed, the tech re-installed the harness, so the car is wired for grid charging. I will include the HybridAutomotive grid charger. I haven't used it with the new battery.
- I just replaced the 12V battery in December. Because I live in Michigan, I purchased one with a high number of cold-cranking amps!
- Brand-new radiator.
- I had the catalytic converter replaced in January 2018 and the muffler was just replaced in November (both aftermarket).
- The headlight bulbs and wiper blades are all about a year old.
- When I purchased the car, the front windshield was cracked, so the windshield is new as of October 2017.
- The AC still blows cold.
- The heat still works well.
- The cassette deck works.
- The head gasket is leaking and needs to be replaced. The head is in unknown condition. It likely needs to be resurfaced, and may need to be replaced.
- The rear shocks are leaking.
- The passenger door does not open from the outside.
- The passenger side has the "wet seatbelt" issue after it rains heavily.
- The driver's side seat has "the worn hole" in the exact spot that so many Insights have.
- I'm not sure what they are called, but the metal bits connecting the seats to the floor are rusted, particularly on the driver's side.
- The fuel door release does not work. I have a little piece of putty that keeps the fuel door closed: it pops open if you use your key as a lever.
- The wiper fluid dispenser does not work for the rear window.
- The paint on the front bumper and the hood has many tiny chips from driving behind plows dropping anti-skid stones on Rt 80 in Pennsylvania in a snowstorm...
- The exterior paint has a number of small scratches and chips.
- The rubberized strip along the bottoms of the side windows on both sides is brittle, dried, and cracked.
I have documentation for all of the repairs I have made, along with a CarFax and partial documentation of repairs done by previous owners. The car has a clean title.
The car is drivable, but because of the head gasket issue, you might want to have it towed if you are coming from some distance away.
If you are interested, or have questions, please send me a PM. I will consider all offers!
In addition to those included with this post, here is a folder full of additional photos (I tried to get good documentation of any of the problems I mentioned above):