Silver insight in Jessup MD junk yard - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Insightful Deals > eBay Auctions: Honda Insight related

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2019, 09:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Silver insight in Jessup MD junk yard

I got an alert for a silver Insight at what used to be Crazy Rays in Jessup MD. It is now known as LKQ pick-your-part.

It looks like it hit something that snagged the hood and messed up the radiator support, but did little other damage. It is a Manual.

I went and got the front left fender liner off of it, but was surprised how good the rest of the car looked. Probably low mileage. It had a really nice drivers seat with much less wear than most. The passenger was also low-wear, but was quite dirty with what looked like an orange mold growing on it. Probably cleanable. The hi-voltage battery of course is gone. The headlights and taillights are there. The drivetrain is there. The passenger side of the car had no damage. The driver's side had a good front fender, but the door and rear fender were dented. Although the door wasn't that bad. All glass was good. gauge cluster was there. I took the window switches from the dash. Someone else had taken the side mirrors. The underbody tray that goes under the passenger compartment is there, but not the one that attaches to the front bumper. The rear bumper was there, but the front was off any laying in front of the car. Might be scraped up from sliding across the gravel there. Although now that I think about it, there was snow on the ground when it got there, so might not be scraped up.

I am not going back, so won't have updates, but just thought others might like to know it is there.
Only about 55 lmpg showing so far.
Cold Weather and Michelins are to blame.
I'm gonna have such fun playing this mileage game.
weelliott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2019, 08:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Good information. Thank you. Do you recall if the headlights are yellowed?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fuelish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2019, 09:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Used to enjoy going there but that place has gone down hill for the last few years. The cashiers seem like they rather be any place else than there, and they make up prices depending on their attitude.
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2019, 09:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

They weren't particularly friendly when it was Crazy Ray's. No more "menu"?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fuelish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2019, 09:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Fuelish,

The lights were not yellowed. I forgot to mention the other day that it has wheels that look practically new. I almost bought them since mine are missing lots of clear coat and are corroded, but couldn't justify the $180 or so for them since my car has no battery, so might not pass emissions in April, so I don't know if I want to put that money into it. They also have fairly nice kumhos on them in 195/65/14 size, which is meatier than stock. Although they may have been rubbing the fender liner a bit.

Atikovi,

I actually had that experience a few years ago, but have since had the opposite experience there. I had also stopped going because of the same thing. However, at the meetup in Frederick last year someone tipped me off to an insight at the Mt. Airy location. I went and was very pleasantly surprised.

I'd also been there when it was Crazy Rays and I think LKQ shaped it up for the better. By a lot. They have a published price list online that they stick to. They even give you an itemized receipt. They now have free wheelbarrows to use like shopping carts, which makes things much easier when you are trying to tote around tools and parts. They have put down enough gravel that it isn't a mud pit. It no longer smells like antifreeze. My favorite thing is that every car is already put up on stands made up of welded steel wheels so you can easily and safely crawl under them to get at stuff instead of chasing around employees to get them to use a front end loader to hoist up a car and place it on a leaning stack of tires. The cashier at the Jessup location was not overly friendly, but engaging enough and definitely not rude. Also Crazy Rays never kept an inventory, and if you called them up to ask if they had a car, they'd tell you that you need to come down and look for yourself. LKQ keeps their cars inventoried, has online pics, will send you alerts when cars come in, and can tell you where the cars are parked. It is vastly better.

I have tried putting a link to a pic from their site here. Not sure if the pic is behind a firewall where you have to sign in to get to it.

Last edited by weelliott; 01-18-2019 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weelliott View Post
They have a published price list online that they stick to.
You would think, but... I needed a tail light for a small car. Price list has three entries for TAIL LIGHT from small $14.75, medium $19.90, large $24.02. Light was about the size of your hand, but cashier charged me for a large. When I asked why, she gave me a story that small applies only to the third brake lights, even though there is no mention of that on the list. Could have bought the same light on Ebay for $25 shipped and saved all the hassle.

Or if you want that wide hockey stick molding around the windshield. Price list shows,

Part Price CoreWarrantyExtended Warranty
Molding - Plastic (g4) $13.97 $0.00 $0.00 $0.00
Molding - Plastic (g5) $20.93 $0.00 $0.00 $0.00
Molding - Plastic (large)$8.86 $0.00 $0.00 $0.00
Molding - Plastic (medium)$5.77 $0.00 $0.00 $0.00
Molding - Plastic (small)$3.71 $0.00 $0.00 $0.00
Moldings Per Foot $6.51 $0.00 $0.00 $0.00

Which do you think they will charge? Common sense says $8.86 for the large. Most likely it will be $20.93 for g5 whatever that means or $30 if they decide to charge by the foot. And what's with the "environmental" fee? That's an additional 5% they tack on to your bill.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

I guess the stuff I have gotten has been more cut and dry. Like a bumper cover, cylinder head, throttle body, seats, rear view mirrors, window switches. Pretty much whatever I have gotten I felt I could not have gotten elsewhere other than people on this forum, which would probably involve prohibitively expensive shipping. So I never comparison shopped.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Got the windshield side moldings.

Old 01-23-2019, 12:23 AM   #9 (permalink)

What do they charge for a transmission? I am planning to rebuild mine, and it would be much better if I could rebuild one on the bench, then drop it in. My wheels look like heck, and getting another set would be nice. Though unnecessary.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

https://www.lkqpickyourpart.com/loca...up-206/prices/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in