Why are these not selling? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Insightful Deals > eBay Auctions: Honda Insight related

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2014, 12:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Why are these not selling?

Here are two good looking cars up for sale on eBay UK for the second time each. The first one with a Buy-it-Now price of 4,500 tapped out at around 1,400 (below its reserve) when the auction ended and the second one was being sold on a Classified auction and also didn't sell.

2000 HONDA INSIGHT BLUE MANUAL HYBRID 1000cc UK CAR | eBay

2000 W HONDA INSIGHT HYBRID ELECTRIC PETROL 6 MONTHS TAX 12 MONTHS MOT | eBay

They seem to be really good cars with mileages of 85k and 89k respectively - the latter one even has a good double DIN satnav included. So why are they not being jumped on and what has happened to Gen 1 prices?
oldrascal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2014, 01:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

The problem with all the older IMA cars is they need new batteries at some stage.
Mostly round about now.

That's a 2000 hit so they aren't worth what the current owners hope they are.

That said they appear good cars but new owners just have to factor in the price of a new battery into what they pay.

A new IMA battery should also mean another 10+ years of use and better performance.
An Insight with a bad battery is gutless and unrewarding to drive IMO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com

Last edited by retepsnikrep; 07-04-2014 at 01:17 PM.
retepsnikrep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2014, 01:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by retepsnikrep View Post
The problem with all the older IMA cars is they need new batteries at some stage.
Mostly round about now.

That's a 2000 hit so they aren't worth what the current owners hope they are.

That said they appear good cars but new owners just have to factor in the price of a new battery into what they pay.

A new IMA battery should also mean another 10+ years of use and better performance.
An Insight with a bad battery is gutless and unrewarding to drive IMO.
Well I must say that I didn't realise that the old batteries also affected performance - that does make some sense as to why bidding has been slow to non-existent on these two.

I have to say that I now think that I got a bit of a bargain with this one:

Honda Insight MK 1 | eBay

New battery from Honda in 2012 plus new clutch and tyres and just 2 owners, the latest one was general manager at a Honda dealership - I won't reveal what he paid for the battery but it was a LOT less than the normally quoted price. Well good for him - and me. Anyhow, I got this jewel for the princely sum of 2,750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2014, 02:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am frankly surprised that the second car doesn't sell quickly. The price is $6162US which seems quite reasonable. The owner makes the statement that it has a good battery. If true, given the condition and extras, I would think it would be snapped up quickly, and I do think it will sell.

IMO there are several factors which are causing the cars to move slowly. As Peter say, the battery is a negative in the mind of most buyers. In addition, the cars so rare that the general buying public has little knowledge of the potential fuel economy they could experience, the styling is quirky to many, and the utility of a 2 seater is also a negative.

We "Insighters" tend to have an overly optimistic view of our little gems. I can't even get my wife to drive one, and my daughter is unwilling to discuss keeping "Dog Bite" once I wind up in the old folks home. Go figure

But, for someone who fits the bill as an Insight owner, that second car is a very nice buy!

Last edited by jime; 07-04-2014 at 02:36 PM.
jime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2014, 04:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
TRI
Lifetime Member

Such a rare color and no buyer?

In the US these cars are advertised at a high Prices, in Europe they're quite cheap. Most people stay away of cars with an age of 10+ years. The I1 is different but they don't know.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

In the real world the only advantage our cars ever had over others was exceptional MPG and 15 years ago when the Gen 1 appeared it was a huge advantage even if you drove it without using hypermiling techniques. Now this advantage has virtually vanished with many diesels and small petrol engine cars matching the Gen1 for economy without having to work for it. Add to that the worries people have about battery life , only two seats and , to most peoples eyes , the Gen1's bizarre aesthetics and you end up with a car few people want. Personally I cannot see myself selling my Gen1 but I love the way it feels minimalist and slightly harsh like a car from the 60's or 70's and I enjoy the visual shock I still get sometimes when I see it in a car park next to all the run of the mill motors ; so the two things I find most satisfying are anathema to the majority of the population . My biggest worry is that many of our cars will end up being bought for peanuts and then run until the battery dies then sold off for scrap.
bluesunbeam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2014, 07:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
TRI
Lifetime Member

I agree with the above but there should be enough engineers, excentric people, car collectors out there who should be willing to buy these cheap cars.

The mainstream goes to SUV. A dealer told me that people don't buy small cars anymore in Switzerland. But there should be still enough People who think differently.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

My experience, after two weeks of G1 ownership, has surprised me and demonstrated again that you really shouldn't make snap judgements.

Of course the G1 is sinfully slow (to accelerate) on the open highway. Of couse, once up to speed, all is peaceful unless hills are on your route. Then I found myself switching out of 'hyper-miling' mode into 'oh what the hell' mode as I downshift to second not to create too much of a rolling road block.

But on minor country roads, the car surprised me with its extreme nimbleness and vivacity (over 3000 RPM). The super light weight makes the G1 just so nimble and I have yet to experience any roll, even when provoking it.

My running average is around 75mpg (Imperial) over the past two weeks and I just find myself getting in 'the zone' when I drive - it is a much more pure experience than I am used to. Although I have two other cars, the G1 is my 'go to' car, and not for reasons of economy but just because it feels so right.

The way a 6ft 3in 210lb man can stretch out and the overall visibility just adds to the feeling . Above all, when modern cars all seem to suffer from extreme bloatedness, the simple and alluring shape of the G1 never ceases to give me pleasure .
Old 07-06-2014, 10:20 AM   #9 (permalink)

I would not call the car slow to accelerate. Maybe not a sports car, but my cvt, in sport mode, is relatively fast. I think it might be faster than my wife's 2011 Honda pilot and my 2002 Chevy avalanche.

When left in drive mode, it is relatively slow, but not bad.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Speed View Post
I would not call the car slow to accelerate. Maybe not a sports car, but my cvt, in sport mode, is relatively fast. I think it might be faster than my wife's 2011 Honda pilot and my 2002 Chevy avalanche.

When left in drive mode, it is relatively slow, but not bad.
I agree. If one wants reasonable acceleration, it is there. The driver has to keep the revs up above the Vtec threshold. In addition a healthy battery can add enough power to make the acceleration decent.

I'm a hypermiler and I like to tootle around down in the 1500-2200 range, and the car doesn't have much acceleration when so driven, but it doesn't have to be driven that way! It is truly a "dual mode" car. That is a part of the genius of the design.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in