2004 w/ 177,000 miles for sale ($1500) - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Insightful Deals > eBay Auctions: Honda Insight related

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2015, 02:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
KMN

Default 2004 w/ 177,000 miles for sale ($1500)

I bought this car a month ago in central Florida and drove it home to Jacksonville, FL. and had no issues. After a couple of weeks I noticed the IMA gauge was no longer adding bars but falling and then my battery charging light came on. I had it checked out and was told my battery wasn't getting a charge. I believe it's the DC-DC converter and the cheapest one I found was $1399, not including installation. That's too much for me. I can drive the car for a couple of days, then charge the battery and drive it again. Don't feel like doing that forever, so I'm selling it to someone who knows how to test and fix this issue or is willing to pay a mechanic to do it. Hard to find one to do this work and my local honda dealer is too expensive for me. I was told the original IMA battery was replaced around 125,000 miles. I wish I knew more about electronics and I would try and figure it out myself.
KMN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2015, 02:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

You can find DC-DC converters cheaper than that by far. Maybe a local insighter can help you out.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm not sure it's the DC-DC converter. If your IMA battery isn't getting charged at all; then, once it's low enough (or not connected in case of its fuse being blown), it will no longer operate the DC-DC converter. There's probably some other reason the IMA battery isn't getting charged.

If you want to figure it out yourself, the first step is to get the error codes. If you really want to sell it and can't find anyone closer to buy it, talk to me. Is it manual or CVT?

Also, you may be able to get the IMA system to charge the 12V for a while by grid charging the IMA battery and/or resetting the the trouble codes (disconnecting the 12V will reset the codes). How long it will work for depends on what the actual problem is along with driving habits, etc.
#1 2000 MT, 200k+ mi, owned since 2014, got new old engine in 2016
#2 2000 MT, 200k+ mi, owned since 2015, No A/C, lots of dents, works
Best tank: 69 MPG . . . Recent tank: 64 MPG, June 2016
johnnyviri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2015, 11:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have one I can sell you.
But I'd be surprised if that's your issue.

Give me a call 608-729-4082. I'll help you figure it out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

608-729-4082

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile service also available
ericbecky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2015, 09:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
KMN

I have several error codes. P0135 ( 02 heater circuit bank1,sensor1) P1568 (battery module individual voltage input problem, temp signal, battery circuit problem) and P1449(battery module overheating). This seems like allot.
KMN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2015, 11:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

You should really check/replace your ground straps before repairing/replacing anything else. It's cheap to do and can relate to some or all of your codes. There's also a real possibility that your IMA battery is failing. If it was replaced by Honda at 122k miles, but that was a few years ago, it could be failing again. Assuming you don't want to replace it for $2k, you'll want to build/buy a cheap grid charger. As an alternative, you can bypass the use of the IMA battery to keep the 12V charged. (assuming your DC-DC converter does work and the IMA motor is capable of providing power to it).

If the P0135 comes back with good ground cables, then you could have an issue with your primary O2 sensor or the wiring to it, but this wouldn't be related to the problem of your 12V battery not getting charged.
#1 2000 MT, 200k+ mi, owned since 2014, got new old engine in 2016
#2 2000 MT, 200k+ mi, owned since 2015, No A/C, lots of dents, works
Best tank: 69 MPG . . . Recent tank: 64 MPG, June 2016

Last edited by johnnyviri; 03-02-2015 at 11:41 PM.
johnnyviri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2015, 07:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Hypermiler

Garage

The 1449 may be the cause of the 12v being drained. Additional symptoms are no ima charge/assist, and eventually not charging the 12v.

Ima bypass is an option, and will allow the motor/generator, via the dc/dc, to charge the 12v. Jeff's (hybridautomotive) procedure is here. Some folk have driven gas only for years.

The 1449 has 4 subcodes. Blink coding it will reveal the subcode. AbCaRed00 put this spreadsheet up for code interpretation. Mike D shows how to blink code on his site.

You can base your decisions from there and perhaps fix your G1 up for much less than expected. Could be as simple as a grid charger install.
, IMAC&C
'01 mt, Silver, 222k,
, MIMA, currently "
"
'00 Citrus,, 184k,
, MIMA,

'01 mt, Oxy Blue, 218k

Go Navy, or don't go
Mountain driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2015, 08:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMN View Post
I bought this car a month ago in central Florida and drove it home to Jacksonville, FL. and had no issues. After a couple of weeks I noticed the IMA gauge was no longer adding bars but falling and then my battery charging light came on. I had it checked out and was told my battery wasn't getting a charge. I believe it's the DC-DC converter and the cheapest one I found was $1399, not including installation. That's too much for me. I can drive the car for a couple of days, then charge the battery and drive it again. Don't feel like doing that forever, so I'm selling it to someone who knows how to test and fix this issue or is willing to pay a mechanic to do it. Hard to find one to do this work and my local honda dealer is too expensive for me. I was told the original IMA battery was replaced around 125,000 miles. I wish I knew more about electronics and I would try and figure it out myself.
I am 100 mi west of Jacksonville and would be interested in purchasing it.
[email protected]
cltaylor38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2015, 10:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

Hello,

You could have a 12v battery with a bad cell or two. If the battery won't charge property the computer will shut down the DC to DC converter. That happened to me last Month. I got a 51-1 battery at walmart for $105.00 and all is well. I have a PP OBDII gauge pluged into the port all the time. I can tell when the hybrid battery is too low. If the hybrid battery is too low the DC to DC converter will also shut down. If you really need the converter you can get it here.
Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market
fantasy67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2015, 01:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hello again,

Here is a test that will find your problem. Disconnect the neg 12v battery terminal for 10 secs, reconnect and start the car. Take your voltmeter and measure the Batt voltage. If the DC to DC converter is working you should see 13.5-14 v. The IMA indicator in the car must indicate green bars charging IMA battery because you put the computer in recalibrate mode.

My car has 193,000 miles and had a 12 v battery to fail this Winter with similar problems. The Walmart 51-1 battery has 5 yrs warranty although cost $105.00.
Good luck. Your savings at the pump sometimes costs in special problems not found in other cars.
fantasy67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in