Not mine: Good price - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Insightful Deals > eBay Auctions: Honda Insight related

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2016, 10:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Linsight Designer

Default Not mine: Good price

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/5865051933.html

Heads up, the seller won't send higher quality pictures, but attests it's in great shape and has never been in an accident. He's not interested in providing additional details and seems like he's in a hurry to get off the phone. Based on my conversation, I know the passenger mirror is silver (the car is red), and that the person selling the car isn't the original owner (although it's still on the original owner's title). I wasn't able to figure out the relationship between original owner and seller, nor did I determine how the mirror was replaced without the car being in an accident.

Anywho, looks like a great low mileage car with an odd seller.

Edit: Woot, this is my 1000th post!
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2016, 03:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Looks like (from the dash pic) He either reset a IMA light (No bars while idleing) or replaced the 12v battery.
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2016, 11:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Linsight Designer

Agreed, Willie... this car has IMA problems.

Update: I'd stay very far away from this one. The owner is hiding something. Here's my summary, for whomever ultimately buys the car:
1: Seller states car is one owner.
2: Seller states he's not a car dealer.
3: Seller states car has detailed records of all service from day one, but through my questioning doesn't know ANYTHING about insights. He didn't even know what the battery assist/regen meter was. It's obvious the seller isn't the original owner, although it does still check out as a one owner car... thus, I think this guy never transferred the title over, or worse yet, maybe the car is stolen (it hasn't been reported as such, but after dealing with this guy it wouldn't surprise me).
4: Seller states the vehicle has never been in a wreck, yet the passenger mirror is silver and seller won't send me any pictures of the right side. Before I found out the passenger mirror was silver, he had told me it "looked exactly the same." When I pressed him on the mirror, he said "I just haven't had time to spray paint it red yet."
5: Seller states the vehicle is in pristine condition, yet he lampoons me for proposing that a 16 year old car would be in good condition. When I point out obvious damage to the glove box (in the pictures he has posted online), he goes off on me.
6: When asked for pictures, seller states "It's dark outside. I'm not sure what you're expectations are but it's in great condition inside and out. Perfect."
7: When asked for pictures (again), seller states "The passenger side looks the same as the driver side. The interior is perfect. The seats have no stains, no rips. Perfect."
8: When asked for pictures (again), seller replies "Wow, buying 2000 year used car expecting to be in pristine condition is unheard of. But good luck in your search. And if having concerns is one thing but the reality of a car with so low miles and every service records from new from dealership available is unheard of*. So not too sure if any used car will meet your needs. If I were you stay put and good luck finding a perfect 15 year old car. I'm not hurting for money nor need to sell the car. I hate texting stupid sh!t <i.e. pictures> over a cheap used car. It's up to you to find a car worth your time, but save your time on this one. It's in perfect running condition and not in pristine condition but I can say thus: you won't find another car with the service records nor the miles*."

...*Since our communications had obviously failed, I replied with a picture of my 3" binder with service records since day one, and pointed out that I know several other people with much lower mileage vehicles and service records. My last text was "Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are trying to sell this car, right? I'm trying to buy it, but I need pictures before I commit to a 12 hour round trip drive. But, it sounds like you're not interested in selling your car, so have a good day."

Anywho, be warned that this owner is shady, irritable, and is probably hiding something. Don't let the low mileage fool you; this car fails the smell test.

Updates:
9: I guess I knocked some sense into him: he's finally offered to send pictures, with the following caveats: "It's raining here and I don't have a high quality camera for your needs <what?>, but I'll send you a picture anyways of the left side*, and it will be dark by the time I get off work, too."
*Remember, he's already posted pictures of the left side, and yet here he is again refusing to send passenger side pictures. Sigh. Why do I persist? (because I want it).
Note: It won't be raining in St Louis in an hour, but he's correct that it is raining now (while he's at work).

Last edited by mudder; 11-08-2016 at 11:55 AM.
mudder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2016, 09:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Linsight Designer

Seller came around, sent pictures, and I bought the car. I only got a fair price considering the condition it's in:
-mechanically very strong.
-Most comfortable ride quality I've felt in any insight, but I suspect it's due to low tire pressure.
-Tires are original (!).
-Body and panels are straight and original, but lots of small scrapes. Most will buff out.
-IMA is in VERY good shape. I charged/discharged it several times on the 500 mile trip back home. Last replaced 2014... much stronger than my other car, which was last replaced in 2013.
-76,110 miles.
-All the most common issues are present on this one: broken trunk latch, leaking clutch, bad ground straps, driven on salty roads.
-All underbody panels present.
-Interior is great condition, except seats... they're in surprisingly bad shape.
-Original driver's side floor mat in 8/10 condition.
-No leaks in engine, no grinding in any gears.

Overall, got a fair price... not jumping up and down, but it is a low miles car and once I put some elbow grease into the paint and replace a dozen or so poor condition parts it'll be my new daily driver.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Congrats on a nice red one John!

Insight T-Shirts 4Sale: PM Me.
Monte Carlo Blue 01 5spd w/CRZ seats
CDN Aquamarine Blue 01 DDSOLD to fellow Insighter friend
Silver 01 5spd #0160 Sold to fellow Insight owner
Citrus #1159 Sold to Insight Fan
Red '00 A/C project SOLD to fellow Insighter friend
Citrus #2083
Sold to a fellow Insight owner.
Red '01 A/C parts car.
freezin4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2016, 03:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Congrats, John.
This seemed like a good car for you.

608-729-4082

Mobile service also available
ericbecky is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2016, 05:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Congratulations on joining the Multiple Insight Club. It's a disease!

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2016, 12:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Linsight Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainsux View Post
Congratulations on joining the Multiple Insight Club. It's a disease!

Sam
My wife and I have had a few conversations about "owning two of the same cars" over the past few days. Logic doesn't prevail when emotions run high.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

You get it! There is no medication for this. I guess mine has progressed because I own three of them. And five Miatas.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2016, 11:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I have two seats in very good shape from my wrecked 02 if you're interested John.
MIMA#136P,GC1#47

Ad Astra per Aspera
satchel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in