Explanation of honda accord with no transmission hybrid - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > General News Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2017, 12:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Explanation of honda accord with no transmission hybrid

Direct drive honda accord

https://youtu.be/fmMb45PPrmg
Sam12345 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2017, 01:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Thanks for that...

Blech... I would go out of my mind with the shift in and out of EV mode at highway cruise. Hello unnecessary battery cycles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2017, 01:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

Bigger battery may make it work better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2017, 01:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

This guy has no complaints

https://youtu.be/iGYg-CSO9w8
Old 01-02-2017, 02:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

Another review

https://youtu.be/79vGYGYgIFw
Old 01-02-2017, 03:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam12345 View Post
Bigger battery may make it work better?
I doubt it. I just don't see the point of a battery charging itself up and then discharging itself when the car is at a steady state constant speed.

First, all that does is add cycles to the battery - more wear, shorter life.

Second, energy conversion is always lossy. The energy stored by the battery is less than the kinetic energy available from using the burned gas for motion. Then taking that stored energy in the battery and then driving the wheels - more losses.

It's a complex system. I suspect this operation is required by some nuance of the design where gearing/speed push the ICE into a range that's not as efficient, so it alternates between operating the ICE at a higher power setting where it burns more efficiently and stores the excess energy with a periodic termination of the ICE to consume the excess stored energy. It really feels like they had to tweak it post-design because they didn't account for something.

S Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2017, 08:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

The generator needs a clutch and they need to gear the final drive to be most efficient at 75mph (the speed most people drive on the freeway) but they tune everything to the epa cycle.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

Here is an actual drive

https://youtu.be/lKTD6izrMqg
Old 01-02-2017, 10:07 AM   #9 (permalink)

Real world driving

https://youtu.be/MFLBQXoO340
Old 01-02-2017, 08:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the pointer to the new video. I had watched all the other ones previously.

I've been impressed with the new Accord hybrid system ever since learning about it. Apparently the 2012 Civic hybrid was the first to use this system, and has been refined in the 2017 Accord. I was really looking forward to a plug-in version but it appears they are planning to do that only on the Clarity platform. However, Clarity platform is not pleasing to my eyes, especially the rear. Reminds me of circa 1998 Ford Taurus.

The way this works seems similar to a hypermiling technique that usually only works in city driving for Prius. The larger battery capacity and output power enables them to automatically apply this technique even on the highway. ICE running at freeway speeds cannot apply energy output 100% efficiently to the wheels. No matter what there's excess energy wasted when gas engine is running. Capture this excess energy and store it in the battery instead of just letting it go to waste. Then opportunistically turn off the gas engine and put that stored excess energy to maintain vehicle velocity. This strategy combined with a more efficient engine that doesn't need to be as powerful results on average 11mpg higher on the highway than pure gas engine.

I guess we'll only find out long term viability of the Lithium batteries once these cars get old enough to start wearing down. I hope for Honda's sake they have much more sophisticated battery management so these batteries will have failure rates at least as low as previous generation Prii.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in